Moving to Philly in 1 month. Where to?

Discussion in 'Relocation - Moving to Philadelphia' started by otter_yonder, Dec 12, 2017.

1. otter_yonder

otter_yonder Member

Hey all, I'm using a sticky thread that someone was kind enough to throw together. Any tips you can throw my way will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-----

If you are looking to move to Philadelphia, start a new thread with answers to these following questions so we can help you out:

When are you moving? --Approx. 1 month
    Where are you coming from? ----- North Jersey
    Why are you moving? ------ Got a job in the Naval Yard
    Where will you be working? -----Naval Yard
    Have you been here yet? ----- Essentially no. I've spent very little time in Philly.

Will you buy or rent? -------Rent
    If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?-------N/A
    If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? ----- 1BR apt, studio, etc. Looking to spend $900 or less.
    Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? ------Walk up

Are you married or single? Do you have children? ------Single, no kids.
    Do you prefer public or private schools? -------N/A
    Do you have pets? -------Nope
    Do you want or need a yard? -------It's not required, but if I could have a safe place (ideally a garage) to store a motorcycle, that'd be great).
    Are you keeping a car? --------Yes, 1
    Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? -------More on the calm spectrum of things, but I'm flexible.

What do you want to be closest to? ------Naval yard for work (if possible, I'd like to commute by bicycle), green spaces, culture and diversity, library, and the basics (grocery stores, etc)
    Work --- Yup
    Shopping ---indifferent
    Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) -----Yup
    Nightlife -----sure, but not a necessity
    Train or subway stations-------Sure, but not a deal-breaker

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? ----Yes, I'm 29 and would like to live near other young professionals with various backgrounds.

2. fiveomar

fiveomar Well-Known Member

I think the neighborhood of East Passyunk (specifically, somewhere near Passyunk Ave between Broad St and 10th st) is going to be your best bet as far as a great neighborhood for a young,single person that's very close to where you'll be working.

Great bars/restaurants there, you'll have an easy bicycle commute to work, and pretty good quality of life.

Not biased here as I live in the Fairmount / Museum area (which I love), it's just a little far for you to get to work from there by bicycle so wouldn't suggest my neighborhood for that reason alone.

3. Sean

Sean Well-Known Member

I agree that you should check out East Passyunk based on what you've listed as requirements, however it will be very difficult to find something in the area for $900 that includes a garage. Anything in that price range will be street parking.

4. otter_yonder

otter_yonder Member

Cool thanks for those tips. I'll look more into that area. Would you suggest looking into any areas west of the Schuykill River? Is there any chance I could find a place that is within biking distance, and has storage for a motorcycle? I don't mind parking my car on the street.

Thanks again for your help!

5. fiveomar

Rather than renting a garage for your motorcycle, I would get a good weatherproof cover (I like the Nelson Briggs one on Amazon), and then a good (eg. Kryptonite) motorcycle chain. Depending on where you rent, you may have a way to secure the bike to your building (keep in mind obstruction or unsightliness for your neighbors)- this is legal as long as it's within the property line which usually starts with the front steps. Or just lock it up to a street sign on the street. The money you'd save in storage costs for the bike will far exceed any extra maintenance/damage from keeping it outside, and possibly even surpass the value of the bike over time.

You can join the facebook group "Fair Parking for Motorcycles and Scooters in Philadelphia" if you want more info on motorcycle/scooter parking rules here. As a motorcycle owner myself, I can tell you that having one (or a scooter) in the city is such a nice amenity and very practical for getting around town.

#5 fiveomar, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  6. MackeyDingo

MackeyDingo REALLY Well-Known Member

You're not likely to want to take public transit to the Navy Yard, driving will be much easier. That being the case, you'll make your likfe easier by living south of Center City, hence the recommendations that you live in Passyunk. Other ossibilities exist, and are cheaper, but west of Broad Street to the Schuylkill there is more crime (crime decreases as you move north toward Center City), west of the Schuylkill will add time to your commute (although it is connected to the Navy Yard by the notorious Rt 76, this part of 76 may be the least busy portion and so may be ok for your commute) but you could look at the Spruce Hill area around UPenn (the further west you go the more crime increases) you will find more space (parking and sqft) and more greenery (giant street trees and actual yards) in Spruce Hill than Passyunk but it is still very much the city.

Passyunk is a very trendy place with lots of young people. Its been the scene of many new restaurants and shops so its sort of the "happening" place.

You could find a nice place fairly easily for $900 if you take a roommate, otherwise you should keep an open mind about what you need and consider how little space you really need. Space saving furniture with dual purpose or hidden storage can make a small home very comfortable.(You probably already knew most of this.)

Welcome to Philly! Do not bother getting a cheesesteak.

otter_yonder likes this.
  7. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

There are also FREE shuttle buses:

The Navy Yard offers two free shuttle routes that allow employees and visitors easy access to the Navy Yard from Center City, and AT&T Station on the Broad Street Subway Line.

The Navy Yard | A Campus Built for Business Growth | Philadelphia, PA

8. MackeyDingo

MackeyDingo REALLY Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. My opinion is that this is worth looking into.

For example I'd look into Things like, how often do they run? Do they run on weekends? What is the latest bus at night? Earliest bus in the morning? How long does it take from Passyunk to Navy Yard. Where in the Navy Yard does it stop? Are there stops close to my work (you could get caught in a driving rain and have to walk to your office)? Does it have a reputation for reliability?

9. fiveomar

~$900 should be doable for a 1-bedroom or studio without a roommate in that area.

#9 fiveomar, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    MackeyDingo likes this.
  10. otter_yonder

otter_yonder Member

MackeyDingo,

Thanks for the feedback. I've been asking myself some of those questions (how much living space do I really need, what compromises am I willing to make, etc). I think I'd be willing to sacrifice some living space if the place included a shed or garage to store a motorcycle.

For what it's worth, it's actually looking like I might make the move closer to 2 months from now, so I have a little extra time. It may be that wanting a garage/shed and living within bicycling distance to the Naval Yard isn't realistic, I'll just have to keep researching.

Thanks for all the input folks! Keep it coming : )

11. otter_yonder

otter_yonder Member

Is it safe to assume that Philly, specifically South Philly area is friendly for bikes?

I'm drawn to having a bike since I'll be sitting at work alot, so some exercise everyday will be good. I'm thinking that I'll give myself more options if I don't NEED to live so close to the naval yard that I can bike there, but instead I can run errands by bicycle.

12. fiveomar

Yep, Philly is the #1 bicycle riding major city in the US, as far as percentage of people who commute by bicycle. Multiple factors here- we're the 3rd most dense downtown in the country, everything is relatively flat with not many hills, and lots of bike lanes.

Maps of dedicated bike lanes, etc. are here:
    Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia – Making the Philly region a better place to ride a bicycle

#12 fiveomar, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    otter_yonder likes this.
  13. DocAwesome

DocAwesome The Doctor is In

Based on you biking to work, i would think anything btw 9th and 19th st, south of Snyder, would fit the budget and requirements. Safe and amenities. Right on Broad St, Snyder and Oregon will be loud.
    Garage may still be tough at that price point. E Passyunk is great but pricier, you would in part be paying to be closer to cc and further from your work.

Anywhere on the Broad Street line would work to pub transit in, but again since you will be working all the way south you will be paying a premium to be closer to where everyone else works.

The bike across the Schuylkill is possible re: your southwest phl question, but those are very autocentric crossings. Southwest phl is a little more block to block, would be harder to recco personally for someone new to the city.

14. boognish

boognish Well-Known Member

It's almost impossible to find something in West Philly for $900 unless you're living pretty deep. The upside is good public trans. I did have an apartment for $995 that went quickly near 40th and Pine, but a great deal of the area rents on student schedules...meaning leases starting on June 1st for annual rents. Most of the people I know who don't own moved to South Philly due to increasing high rents in the area.

Use Trulia to check for rentals. It's all I use now.

15. DCnPhilly

DCnPhilly Well-Known Member

If you're not looking for posh new construction, $900 is pretty doable. Like others mentioned, East Passyunk sounds like a great option: convenient to the Navy Yard, just as close to Center City, and plenty to do in the neighborhood itself, but you might be paying a little bit more. Biking throughout the city has gotten so much better than it used to be with so many allocated bike lanes, but keep the weather in mind. It seems to rain nonstop in the spring and when it snows, the city's not incredibly proactive with the plows.

Welcome! And may I say I'm happy you're not a New Yorker who thinks $2000 a month is reasonable :p

otter_yonder likes this.
  16. otter_yonder

otter_yonder Member

Thanks again for all the tips, everyone!

Turns out my sister-in-law has some family very familiar with the city, and they were kind enough to invite me out and show me around. That should really help get a feel for each area, and to just get a glimpse of my new home! Super excited.

DCnPhilly, OldMama, fiveomar and 3 others like this.