mouse traps/poison recommendation?

Discussion in 'Home / Garden / Outdoors' started by stonefly, Dec 7, 2009.

1. stonefly

stonefly Plecoptera

I think I have some mice in my third floor wall. Heard some noise from the third floor one night while sleeping. Sounded like debris falling inside the wall. Went up to check it out yesterday. We have some rot on the hardwood floor where the previous owner had an A/C. A lot of the wood from the rotted area has been removed and there seems to be a hole in the wall (reminds me of Tom and Jerry). I am guessing there are mice in there.

Obviously, I need to get rid of these mice. My question is: what is the best way to do that? Poison, glue trap, conventional trap? If I put of some poison and the mice die in the wall do I have to worry about them smelling?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. #1MetsFan

#1MetsFan Well-Known Member

As you suspected, the problem with poison is that the mice die in areas you can't access and then stink up your entire house for weeks.

Sticky traps work, but the downside you have to be the executioner.

I prefer the electric traps. The mice go in and get zapped. They die instantly, and then you just throw away the remains.

3. lewblum

lewblum Dismember

The problem with poisons and traps is that you're fighting a never ending battle as the mice reproduce and new ones enter the house with the change of seasons.
    You'll never win that battle.

You have to keep the mice out of your house to begin with.
    I can't plug all the holes in my foundation and have sort of accepted the fact that mice are going to find their way into the basement.
    The next best thing is to plug all the holes between the basement and the upper floors (which also helps to insulate your house) and eliminate their food sources.

It's sort of a work in progress as I find new holes, but it has dramatically reduced mice sightings.
    Plus I don't have to deal with dead mice.

4. stonefly

stonefly Plecoptera

I have never seen any evidence of mice in the basement or the first and second floors. Haven't seen a mouse or any mouse droppings. Could I have mice only on my third floor?

5. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

They come out where you have openings. But the reality is that there are sorts of things that crawl in between your walls. And if you think there aren't dead ones, you would be wrong.

Because we have a rather old house (ca. 1860s) and are in one of those areas that seems to breed more (very dense, trash from neighbors, ets) I too have come to accept that I will have them around, but I do what I can to minimize. i have Polar cub on speed dial for those times it's out of hand--like now when they're coming in because it's cold out. ;) And we are still under construction, so I have gaps and openings.

I keep them under control through the use of "boxes" out in the yard, which I fill regularly with Contractor's blox (sp?) that I buy from Polar Cub, and some traps and electronic boxes. Have I ever mentioned how much I love those boxes? A little food (follow the directions, each are different) and just set them up either where I know I have seen activity or along walls and baseboards as discreetly as possibly. It really isn't a big nuisance to tip a dead one into a plastic bag. In fact I rather enjoy knowing that I have gotten another bastid.

This is the site I have purchased the most recent ones: Rat Zapper Electric Rat and Mouse Trap On Sale

They were delivered rather quickly and my count in the past two weeks is 3 out by the shed and three inside. And I am not seeing any evidence of activity lately. Wheeeeee!!!!

6. Brooke

Brooke Well-Known Member

Having used all sorts of traps and having literally all the holes filled in my house, I was still losing the battle due to a few times when I left the door open for the dogs to wander in and out of the yard in the Summer. I finally bit the bullet and tossed TONS OF POISON in my crawlspace...and shazam--10 dead mice in a week.

They came up for water as my ex told me they would...and all of them died behind my dogs' water bowl. I was worried my dogs would eat the poisoned mice but they didn't have any interest and the poison is out of their area.

If you decide to use poison, you might want to keep a bowl of water around to draw them out of the wall. But honestly, the smell of a dead mouse even out in the open goes away in about 4-5 days. Had one I couldn't find in my kitchen that went away by itself before the poison-using days and I can only imagine it died under my refrigerator from natural causes.

7. Oladybug

Oladybug Philaphile

I can vouch for the fine work done by our very own resident exterminator here, Polar Cub. Since he inspected our home early this year and closed the one hole he found, we haven't seen any little "bastids" since.

For added protection, in every room of our main floor, I've installed those buzzing plug-in devices that are supposed to ward off vermin; I don't know that they really work, but I'm happy to have them just on the premise that they might work.

And then on top of that are our two ornery cats, who, I like to think, are the final weapon in our arsenal.

I forget which Hanna Barbara cartoon character it was who said it so well, but I totally agree with the "I hate those meeses to pieces" sentiment!

8. Hospitalitygirl

OLB--I have never had much luck with those devices you mentioned, but love those electronic boxes.

Polar Cub pointed out spots that are vulnerable. But again, without finishing some of the work here, it's nearly impossible to seal most of the spots up. Except for behind the gas range. I'm just going to have to do it myself. Grrrr.

9. Oladybug

Oladybug Philaphile

Yeah, I've heard mixed reviews on them.

10. sometimesilie

sometimesilie Rabble

That's brilliant! I've noticed they all die by the dogs WB too. About two weeks ago (right before it started getting "cold") they, those mousey bastards, started swarming in and like clockwork, and when I got home from work, one or two would be dead by the bowl. Dog usually stays elsewhere in the daytime, so I wasn't as afraid of him snacking, but still sweep the floor before letting him loose in the apartment.

My best luck (other than the poison traps) is with the big, plastic "alligator" traps. Trial and error. Last year I'd put peanut butter or cheese in them and EVERY SINGLE #@$^ing TIME the mice would eat it ALL without springing the trap. Well, they get greedy, b/c once all trace of food was gone, the little buggers started getting insistent and at the height of the bloodshed, I catch two a day. Haven't baited them in over a year though.

But now they've left as suddenly as they came though- no signs of any activity for the past few days. Hopefully it will be like last winter, when I only saw the very occasional, and thankfully small, turd.

ALSO FYI: I was flushing a dead mouse in the toilet...opened the trap to dump him in and lot of poo fell out (he was mostly all the way inside the trap). After a few seconds, the poo started oozing poison green. So be careful how you clean up mouse pellets because it seems they are quite toxic.

11. #1MetsFan

#1MetsFan Well-Known Member

I may be mistaken, but I believe the poision is basically just a concentrated blood thinner -- it makes the mice bleed to death internally.

My dog got into the stuff several years ago (another reason why I won't use it anymore), and the vet made him eat charcoal to neutralize the poison and take vitamin K pills for a couple of weeks to promote clotting.

12. Hospitalitygirl

Yes it is.

13. Sycamore

Sycamore Sure Shot

We use a lot of poison and I've never smelled anything bad (like rotting dead mice).

14. HomeGirl

HomeGirl Well-Known Member

I tried the humane traps ("catch & release") and nearly lost my mind when I didn't feel anything in there and peeked in to see if I caught one and he jumped out at me. I'm pretty sure I levitated trying to get away from him.

Next choice was to try the olde-fashioned snap traps: which kill quickly. A friend kindly told me that there were probably LOTS of mice in my house (not 1 or 2 as I had imagined) and the thought of hearing all those snapping sounds and picking up mice carcasses was not very appealing.

So, I went for the poison pellets. I dropped the pellets down the holes around the radiator (or any holes in the h/w floors, etc) to ensure my doggie wouldn't accidentally ingest any. They must have died b/c I never saw them again - and I didn't have any stink in the house.:thumbsup:

Not to preach but glue traps are really cruel...mice sometimes bite their limbs off to free themselves...pretty sad....even for a bastid!:SM130:

The other option is to get a cat. I grew up w/ cats and never had mice. It wasn't until my last kitty passed away and I adopted a dog that I ever had mice...I never knew that they were a common problem in the city...cats really work.

15. Polar Cub

Polar Cub Better than a cat

Better late than never.
    HG, the blocks are Contrac Blox.
    All pellet and block mouse poisons are anti-coagulants. Blood thinners. None will make them go for water, despite what people are told. Dying near the water bowl is purely coincidental. Mice will follow their common routes, which might put them near the dogs water or food bowl. Another poison is Zinc Phosphide, a tracking powder which they ingest during grooming. It causes a gas build-up in their digestive system. Since mice can't release digestive gases, they simply explode internally.
    Sealing them out , is by far, the best method. Read Lewblum's post. Seal, seal, seal !!

16. CHIOSSO

CHIOSSO Schuylkill Ranger

After two weeks of the mouse taking the bait from my glue traps, I got a snap trap. I baited it at 8 o'clock, the bait was gone at 9. So i tied a piece of bacon to the trap and when I got up this morning victory. It was a little bloody but he is dead.

17. HomeGirl

HomeGirl Well-Known Member

Well...Congrats!! And not a bad way to go (eating bacon, I mean). There have been no more sightings / noises? I'd be surprised if there was only one ...

18. Polar Cub

Polar Cub Better than a cat

Good job.. Repeat it in the same spot tonight, if possible. You might catch another.
    Also, never put peanut butter on a glue trap. The peanut oil will allow them to escape almost every time.

19. CHIOSSO

CHIOSSO Schuylkill Ranger

Polar Cub Can the temperature effect the glue traps?

20. Beutelratte

Beutelratte Well-Known Member

I recently heard another scary story from a person at work: if you have clothes moths and the mice die in the walls (or somewhere you can't remove them), their fur becomes a smorgasbord for clothes moths! That's what the exterminator said.

And I've always wondered - if a dog or cat eats a mouse that has been poisoned with anticoagulant but hasn't died yet, isn't that going to make the dog/cat sick, too?

21. clayton16

clayton16 Active Member

You can try live trap or snap traps for mice control as if poisoned the mice will die in the wall and leave you with the stinking smell for till you dispose of their dead bodies. If these traps will not work for you then I suggest you get help from your nearest mouse extermination professionals. They will guide you and provide the effective solution for your problem.