Marian Anderson Pool Opens Tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Southwest Center City' started by autumnrose14, Jun 18, 2010.

1. autumnrose14

autumnrose14 New Member

Good Morning -

Marion Anderson pool opens tomorrow! Has anyone ever been? I'm excited about using it this summer -- we've never been.

friends of ours went last summer and said there were some weird rules- has anyone utilized the pool and have any insights?

thanks!

2. vnordqui

vnordqui Member

I like the pool and I've never found it to be crowded (publicly underutilized, if anything).

However, they do have a lot of designated times for just camp, or just swim team, or just adults, or just girls, etc. So I'd recommend you get a copy of their schedule whenever you're there and plan accordingly. (never found it available online or by phone)
    We semi-spontaneously showed up numerous times in the middle of the day the past several summers only to be told to come back later.

Other than that, I never found there to be 'weird rules' once you made it in during open swim time.

3. jhh

jhh New Member

I stopped by on Sunday. It was a decent size, not excessively crowded, and an enjoyable experience.

We were given some rules when we got there:
    1. No bags in the pool area (there's a fenced off bleacher section to leave your things)
    2. Shower off beforehand
    3. No jumping into the pool
    4. No sitting on the edge of the pool (I think the concrete edge was fine, but the edge that was slightly submerged in the water was off limits)

Additionally, the hours are a little restrictive. I didn't see any paper schedules, but it's posted on the gate. I had snapped a picture to remind myself from the pool at 13th and Christian and these seemed somewhat similar, so here they are:

Mon-Fri: 11am-7pm
    Sat-Sun: 1pm-6pm (adult/family swim all day)

Day Camp: 11-2
    Free Swim: 2-3:30
    Swim Lessons: 4-5
    Adult/Family: 6-7

I'm not sure what happens between 3:30-4 or 5-6...

4. MARC1953

MARC1953 Member

Just to clarify the pool hours:

Mon.-Fri.
    11-1: Reserved for camps
    1-4: General swim
    4-5: Swim lessons (Up to age 12. Age 2 and under must be accompanied in water by an adult).
    5-6: Family Swim (All children must be accompanied in water by an adult).
    6-7: Adult swim (over 18 only in the pool).

Sat.-Sun.
    1-4: General Swim
    4-5: Family Swim
    5-6: Adult Swim

Also please note the correct spelling of Ms. Anderson's name is Marian, not Marion.

Hope that helps. Feel free to call us with any questions.

Amos Huron
    Marian Anderson Recreation Center

#4 MARC1953, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
    MarieSchmal likes this.
  5. petefm

petefm Well-Known Member

If I show up for adult swim, can I just lounge in the pool, or will I be in the way of people swimming laps?

6. lbphilly

lbphilly Occupant

Thanks for pointing that out. That's a pet peeve of mine but I've been busy and not reading carefully. I'll correct the thread title.

MarieSchmal likes this.
  7. Citigirl

Citigirl Well-Known Member

Posting Status Updates

I was wondering if Mr. Huron could use this site to post status updates for the pool. Many times last summer, we would slather the kids up with sun screen, get the swimmie diapers and suits on, pack the bags, load the stroller, schlep down there just to find the pool was closed for that swim window -- maybe too much/too little chlorine, or down a staff person, or any host of reasons.

That info could easily be posted here for people to check before going through the rigamarole, and the disappointment of going all the way there just to have to turn around hotter and crankier than before.

Otherwise, great job at the pool. Although it is "stricter" than Oconnor, it is a well run and friendly place to be.

MarieSchmal likes this.
  8. autumnrose14

autumnrose14 New Member

sorry for the spelling error! thank you for the info!

9. Lolly

Lolly your neighbor

That's a good idea, or maybe simpler all around for folks to just gave them a call before heading over...?

10. MARC1953

MARC1953 Member

FYI - Due to the heat emergency issued by Mayor Nutter, all public pools are operating with extended general swim hours this week. Therefore, there will be no swim lessons, family swim or adult swim offered. The pool will be open to everyone from 1PM-7PM.

Thanks for your understanding,

Amos Huron

11. love to travel

love to travel Well-Known Member

Where is the pool located ?

12. lbphilly

lbphilly Occupant

1700 block of Catharine Street, north side.

13. londoner

londoner Well-Known Member

Are there any plans to mow the grass around Marian Anderson Rec Center? Our own version of an urban prairie?

14. MARC1953

MARC1953 Member

Change in Pool Hours this Weekend

Due to the expected heat emergency, all public pools will have extended general swim hours this weekend.

The Marian Anderson pool will be open for general swim from 1PM-6PM Saturday 7/24 and Sunday 7/25. There will be no family swim or adult swim.

As always, contact us with any questions or concerns.

Amos Huron

15. rumdrinx

rumdrinx Well-Known Member

any feedback on evening adult swim? crowded ? not crowded? I am thinking of hitting this up next week.

16. londoner

My wife has done it several times and the most people that have been in the pool with her was 3.

17. rumdrinx

rumdrinx Well-Known Member

word. thanks.

18. londoner

I'm assuming this means no? it's now about 2 feet high in parts. Guessing you guys will tell me that, as a resident, i need to take care of this as well?

19. dr_gingivitis

dr_gingivitis The Moral Authority

It is embarrassing. I know there have been contract issues with maintenance there in the past, but there's no excuse for the lack of maintenance there. If it was a private property they'd be getting fines.

I will email the council president's office and she if they can shame someone into doing it since the staff can't seem to get it done. A few years ago I used to call the rec maintenance dept about it about once a month and complain, it worked a little.

20. VWPHILLY

VWPHILLY Well-Known Member

That place looks the worst I have seen it since I lived here going on four years. It is a disgrace that it looks like that, there is no reason for it. I cannot believe that the people who work their can't get off their lazy asses and clean that place. They must be waiting for the neighbors to do it so they do not have to do their job.....The front of that place is a mess, overgrown trees and bushes, trash all around it, for as much people that use the place it looks like abandoned building!!!!!

21. phillyfanatic

phillyfanatic Well-Known Member

The building should be torn down and a new modern facility erected in its place.

22. Gladys

Gladys Well-Known Member

it does look like its about due.

23. dr_gingivitis

I'd just be happy if they mowed the lawn and had some paper product in the bathroom.

24. londoner

Thx Dr G or Amos or whomever took care of it, the lawn has finally been mowed and it looks much better. Has there ever been any discussions on planting some hassle-free perennials in the flower box out front that's integrated with the wheelchair ramp? As it stands, it's full of weeds and crab grass.

Also, is there no way to have a trashcan by the facility's main entrance? Much of the Rec Center's trash appears to be a result of the loiterers, waiting for the bus or otherwise, throwing their trash onto the grass or into the shrubs.

The facility has one on the corner of 17th and Fitz by the batting cage that fills up rapidly on a weekly basis--stands to reason that there should be one out front, no?

25. dr_gingivitis

Not me, when I saw this thread start up again I was about to contact some folks, but I'm glad to hear it has been taken care of.

I would love to see some of the common sense improvements you suggest, and would love to volunteer to assist (again) if there was a movement to spruce the place up. I worked on trying to improve MARC a lot about 3 years ago, but lost interest when it became clear that the staff at the time had no interest. Seems like that may have changed, so maybe now is a good time to start trying to work with the center.

Amos, any suggestions about how some neighbors could get involved to improve the place?

26. lbphilly

lbphilly Occupant

I have some hassle-free perennials that I could donate.

27. MARC1953

MARC1953 Member

If anyone is serious about working on some of the physical issues at the center - or even just learning a little more about some of the systemic challenges we face when it comes to site maintenance - I'd love to arrange a meeting. Please PM me and give me some idea of your availability and then I'll try to come up with a time that works for most people (which I'll then post here). I've lived within a block of the center for 6 years, so I'm invested in this issue as both a city employee and a neighbor. I hope to hear from some of you.

Amos Huron

28. MarieSchmal

MarieSchmal New Member

Yes, if someone would answer the phone!