Macy's to close 3 more downtown stores (not ours).

Discussion in 'Center City' started by krapug1, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Notcom

Notcom Version 2.0

macy*s: bringing us together

Children !! Please!! Let's all remember why we're here - to mourn the loss of downtown stores, and while everyone probably thought the red star was through with the Steel City already, they found a way to dis anew

Waterfront to lose its Macy's store, as owner seeks 'more relevant concepts'

As for ScroogieMcNewark's clips: being a proud denizen of the first city against which Brady cheated his way to victory, I can only hope the f$%^ tom B van will be doing a national tour. :D

2. krapug11

krapug11 Active Member

Back to the business at hand, the sad news about Bon-Ton is that they may not be able to emerge from their Chapter 11 filing.
    Besides the stores that they already plan to close including Downtown Indy, and their small commuter store in the Chicago Loop,
    ongoing locations such as Downtown St. Cloud, and their shrinking store in Downtown Milwaukee may not be long for the world, along with the rest of the chain.

U.S. department store chain Bon-Ton braces for fight for survival

Ken

3. Shadowbat

Shadowbat Well-Known Member

Jayfar likes this.
  4. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

I did a 'show source' to see the hidden article text.

Largely the office lobby and entrance. Green and gray marble will give way to white marble walls and floor and 350 sq. ft. video screen will be added.

While the lobby is the biggest undertaking at this point, the partnership plans to also outfit a new 7,136-square-foot office suite on the 10th floor that it will market to tenants. Eventually, the owners will update the corridors and restrooms and a fitness center will be renovated this year, said Dave Hagan of Amerimar. Improvements will be made to the retail space on the northside where Passaro’s and Starbucks are located.

5. Nanis

Nanis Member

I love how everyone predicted the closing of the Macys in OVM and Northeast Philly and how the one in Neshaminy closed instead

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  6. Nytecat

Nytecat Well-Known Member

I never got how the idea that Neshaminy Mall was "better" than OVM came about. While OVM had that empty anchor, the inside stores were either on par with or slightly better than Neshaminy. And today Oxford has several chains like Coach, Pandora, Pac Sun, and Zumiez which have either closed at Neshaminy or were never there to begin with.

The Boulevard Macy's closing was anticipated due to the decline in most of the surrounding communities. But if overall sales are decent, Macy's will stay in locations that surprise many onlookers. Malls that look sketchy or troubled like Harrisburg Mall, Gwinnett Place Mall, and Security Square have all retained their Macy's so far. The factor that did in Neshaminy was its proximity to other Macy's stores. There were five Macy's in a more or less straight line from Center City to Lawrenceville, NJ. That was apparently one too many so Neshaminy got the ax. Plymouth Meeting, Voorhees, and Moorestown were also all in close proximity to other Macy's.

7. Nanis

Nanis Member

They would be able to ax two macys if they had one at Philadelphia Mills Mall.

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  8. krapug11

krapug11 Active Member

Here is an unlocked version of the article, it also mentions the fact that with this renovation there will be enhanced security for access
    to the building itself. I know some "explorers" that try to visit the 9th floor, which is not a public area.

http://www.globest.com/2018/02/23/r...o-wanamaker-building/?slreturn=20180124065427

As for Macy's news, look for "mini" Backstage areas being set up in key stores, and larger Backstage areas in other locations, like the Ocean County Mall, where Backstage matches the demographic of that area well. When this store first opened as Bamberger's in 1977, the chief complaint was that it did not have a Budget Store.

https://www.app.com/story/money/bus...-backstage-macys-ocean-county-mall/358868002/

9. Notcom

Notcom Version 2.0

Submitted for your disapproval

This was going to be a riff on Rod Serling, thinking that his hometown of Binghampton would be losing it's last downtown flagship, but wouldn't you know it, it's a Boscov's, not a Bon-Ton, so the mannequins will live to haunt another night...or two.

But for the rest, even worse than getting thrown out of a store, perhaps, is not having it open in the first place

Bon-Ton is preparing to liquidate. Here’s a map of all its stores

Not sure how many "downtown" stores there are in there - other than Milwaukee - since BT was notorious for closing them from the get go, but if there are any, they won't be for long.

10. krapug11

krapug11 Active Member

Yes, Bon-Ton as in the entire company, including all nameplates (Boston Store, Bergers, Younkers, Herbergers, Carsons) is
    being liquidated. The downtown Milwaukee Boston Store, and the downtown Milwaukee Headquarters operations have been
    receiving bribes since 2014 to stay put. These incentives rarely, if ever, work when it comes to retail.

Philly gave one to JC Penney for the construction of it's store in Gallery 2, and the agreement was if they stayed for 10 years
    nothing would've to be paid back.

The Herbergers chain operates a couple of small downtown stores in their trading area, and they will also be history.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/mone...shift-plan-b-bon-ton-shutting-down/535918002/

11. Nanis

Nanis Member

Montgomeryville mall still has its Sears store. Said Sears store still has 90s Sears logo. Also, the Toy's R Us in Montgomeryville is closing very soon. IMG_20180421_145121821.jpg IMG_20180421_133802837.jpg

12. Notcom

Notcom Version 2.0

Some Bozo's revenge

And now the truth behind the disappearance of Minneapolis' downtown: it's just an old fashioned curse

Monkey business: Was it stolen or a fugitive?

Philadelphians should be relieved that their in-store menageries were bronze.

13. phillyaggie

phillyaggie Well-Known Member

that map shows basically all the places, at least in PA, that are also losing population. dated department store retail in rapidly aging areas losing population are probably not long for this world...

I believe @eldondre had shared the new population census/community survey map on his facebook page recently.

14. Notcom

Notcom Version 2.0

No, that doesn't help, but that was basically BT's business model: operate stores in areas too small to have competition and/or buy up failing chains and try to wring economies out of them. (The ever quotable Howard Davidowitz once quipped something like "They run stores in the sticks, and they run them badly.")

It's unfortunate, perhaps that chains like Younkers and (maybe) Carsons, that were bigger and in more prosperous - or at least less depressed - areas went down too, but I don't know how much of a future they would have had with someone else...has macy*s bought them the names would have disappeared a decade ago.

15. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Lord & Taylor to close storied flagship on Fifth Avenue | Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) - Lord & Taylor is abandoning plans to keep a store in the Fifth Avenue flagship it is selling, as the chain's owner closes more stores and focuses on online sales.

The announcement Tuesday comes about seven months after the company said it would sell the century-old building to office space sharing company WeWork. Hudson's Bay Co. had said then it would keep less than a quarter of the 11-story building for a Lord & Taylor store.

Hudson's Bay, which also operates Saks Fifth Avenue and other stores, said it expects to close up to 10 of its nearly 50 Lord & Taylor stores through 2019. The flagship store is expected to close in early 2019.

[snip]

In the meantime, Lord & Taylor is working with Walmart and launching a dedicated site on the discount retailer's website. The new shop began rolling out last month and features more than 125 brands.

16. krapug11

krapug11 Active Member

Jayfar beat me to this posting, and here is a rare unlocked story from WWD.

As for the other locations that HBC will close, I would guesstimate that locally (for Philly) Bala-Cynwd
    could be a candidate, and locally for me (Boston), South Shore Mall.

Hudson’s Bay to Close Lord & Taylor Flagship

17. Notcom

Notcom Version 2.0

SL&T ??

I think all of the L&T stores are ripe for closing, or at least a conversion to SFA (I'd prefer a merger of SFA + L&T > SL&T but I've never heard this idea really floated around much). Whatever possible future it might have had on it's own, or under HBC as a premier brand, disappeared when they bought Saks...which is by far a stronger name.

And HBC itself isn't doing so well...Ken's enthusiasm for the Queen St flagship notwithstanding.

18. krapug11

krapug11 Active Member

Actually the 2 parts of HBC that are not doing well are the Saks Off 5th Stores, (Saks 5th Avenue is their crown jewel with 6% increases), and
    their European stores.

Their Department Store Group (Hudson's Bay, Lord and Taylor,and Home Outfitters) were down less than 1%.

What I could see HBC doing with the on-going L& T stores is co-branding the stores with Hudson's Bay.

I've already seen co-branding of Lord and Taylor private label goods at Hudson's Bay stores, and at the
    Lord and Tylor here in Boston, the Mens's Departments on the 1st Floor look like the Men's Floor (5th) at the
    aforementioned Hudson's Bay Flagship.

Ken

19. Notcom

Notcom Version 2.0

Not everyone agrees
    Lord & Taylor Keeps Dragging Down Hudson's Bay: Why Does It Even Exist?
    (apparently they don't [fully] break out divisional sales, but hopefully the fool - literally - who wrote this will update his analysis...or maybe someone who has lots of free time 'cuz his NBA team didn't make the finals :p)

I'm not familiar with L&T's private label, but it sounds like it would be a conversion of the name to more of a brand and less of an actual store... better than nothing I guess, but not by much.

20. OldePhila

OldePhila Well-Known Member

Lord & Taylor had more cache in the past. At one point they were direct competition for Bloomingdales (yawn). Once the former May company got a hand on it, the troubled chain became a direct competitor to Macy’s (double yawn).

I still prefer L&T to Macy’s but you can tell Hudson’s has already chosen which stores are going to go and which ones are keepers (by renovations).

21. Phillyurban8

Phillyurban8 Well-Known Member

You know, folks, the retail apocalypse is looking pretty bad. I fear there will be a time when our Macy*s closes. Then what? What happens to the organ if Macy*s is carved up into a WeWork space?!

22. Nytecat

Dontforget made an interesting observation in the mall discussion thread. He pointed out that the Hamilton Mall Macy's started closing at 8 pm despite the mall being open until 9. Macy's used to close at 8:30 midweek during the off season at their lower tier stores. But a quick review of several Macy's hours nationwide reveals that 8 pm is now the new closing time. Locally, only A-mall Macy's like Willow Grove and King of Prussia are open later, in addition to the busy Cottman store. The Center City Macy's has always closed early despite being one of their most visited locations.

Worst case scenario: If Macy's goes out of business, what happens to the Wanamaker building? My best guess is that floors two and three will be converted to non-retail use and we'll probably lose the Charles Dickens Christmas display. But there will be broad popular support for keeping the ground floor, center court, eagle, organ, and light show available to the public. Having another retailer set up shop on the first floor is the most expedient way to do that.

#352 Nytecat, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  23. krapug11

krapug11 Active Member

Macy's has cut back evening hours at a number of mall based stores around the nation, closing at 8:00 pm on Mon, Tue and Wed.
    Most of these are not power malls, but there not all down at the heals locations either.
    In NJ, the stores at the Hamilton Mall, Ocean County Mall, Rockaway Townsquare, Brunswick Square,all follow this pattern.

Center City is not open as late every evening as other downtown Macys in Boston, Brooklyn, Herald Square, State Street,etc, but
    it is open later on Friday and Saturday, and this in part due to weekend business being stronger at many stores as opposed to early in the
    weekday evenings.

Ken

24. krapug11

krapug11 Active Member

Here we have a downtown department store undergoing a transformation.

Nordstrom will close it's Providence Place store just after the 1st of the year, and Boscov's will reopen there next fall.

It will be Boscov's first store in Rhode Island, its 3rd in New England and it's first new downtown location since the Steamtown mall in Scranton.

Boscov's will be a much better fit for the space than Nordstrom, the only area in that Nordies that was ever what I would call busy
    was the Cafe.

Nordstrom to close store at Providence Place; Boscov's set to enter space - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

Jayfar likes this.
  25. OldePhila

OldePhila Well-Known Member

That Boscovs is opening new stores, is the shocker here.

26. krapug11

krapug11 Active Member

They just opened a new store in Connecticut this past weekend (complete with Debbie Boone).

27. Notcom

Notcom Version 2.0

Knock em down, Joe

“This is a major, major problem, and it cannot be underestimated,” said Joseph Paolino, a real estate investor and former mayor of Providence

Gee, I wonder what he really thinks

:eek:

A few thoughts

(1) I've never really thought PP - and by implication the stores within in - could be considered "downtown"; yes, it's proximate to the (old) downtown, but it's not really in it. And more to the point, it has nothing to do with Providence's old flagship stores, which closed decades ago (and in one case, burned down); even the Arcade, arguably America's first "downtown mall", has largely been converted to residential...in short, Providence's downtown retail is about on par with Newark's or Paterson's or ... which is to say, it's a memory.

(2) Nordstrom seems to be closing a lot of these central-city-mall located stores (Providence, Indianapolis, San Diego)..well. OK, three or four perhaps isn't a very large number, but there weren't that many to begin with; and they seem to follow a common pattern: N enters a market with a centrally located store, then others develop around it and eventually the central store loses its uniqueness - or maybe just runs out of subsidies - and closes; in short it's an accelerated version of America's retail history over the past century-an-a-half, and not too promising for those who envision some kind of "downtown renaissance" Movement.

(3) I'm curious what Boscov's financials look like. I can't imagine they're some fountain of wealth, but presumably they do well enough to keep the bankers happy (I'm assuming they have at least some kind of financing, even if it's only a credit line for day-to-day operations). I wonder, tho, how long this can last as the chain moves on from Al Boscov , who died last year...retail inheritance is a perilous thing.

Nytecat and Jayfar like this.
  28. krapug11

krapug11 Active Member

29. Notcom

Notcom Version 2.0

Fussy, fussy, fussy

And so goes my first - and i guess, last - effort to glorify the Garden State :oops:

Perhaps Buffalo or Cleveland would have been a better choice, but my point was that the traditional downtown of Providence died - at least in a shopping goods sense - a long time ago: The Outlet closed in 1982 Quahog.org: The Outlet Company, Providence and Shepherds almost a decade earlier (coincidentally it paralleled Detroit's timeline and bested - or worsted ?? - Newark by a decade)

So don't get me wrong: I'm happy for the smallest state's biggest city, but it's a Disneyland recreation of retail...like macy*s closing CityCenter and moving into a mall at the 30th St Station.

And to be fair to Newark This is just up the street from your shot [​IMG][​IMG]

guess you just worked at the wrong store :D

#359 Notcom, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  30. Nytecat

You can add Norfolk's downtown Nordstrom to the discussion as everybody is expecting them to announce a closure next year. The days where Nordstrom was enthusiastically opening stores in mid-sized cities are now a distant memory.

I like Boscov's but they would have gone out of business in 2008 if Gov. Ed Rendell didn't give his friend Al a lifeline in the form of state backed loans. I'm assuming they've been paid back. Seeing how department stores in general are endangered I too sometimes wonder how they do it. Being family owned Boscov's isn't under shareholder pressure. They can afford to be patient and grab market share when the national chains close stores. And unlike the ill-fated early 2000s expansion, I think most or all of their new locations this time are at malls where one or more anchor stores recently closed.