Keystone Exams: Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Parenting and Education' started by markedixon, Oct 8, 2009.

1. markedixon

markedixon Well-Known Member

I've got a 6th grader in the Tredyffrin-Easttown school system, and just got an email from the PTO encouraging me to write my state rep/senator to kill/defund/etc. the state Keystone Exam.

These are Keystone's listed crimes:
    1. End-of course testing in 10 subject areas and the elimination of the existing 11th grade PSSA tests.
    2. Withholding of diplomas for students who do not demonstrate proficiency in six of these courses.
    3. Curricular review to consider changes to current course offerings and content to ensure alignment with Keystone Exams.
    4. State expenses that will exceed $201 million to develop and implement the new tests during a fiscally challenging budget environment.
    5. District expenses that threaten to draw resources from other program areas.

T-E is a good system and my daughter is a good student. But, of course, other schools are different. Since our schools are funded statewide, I'd be willing to put up with some nuisance and expense if it benefitted schools elsewhere.

Anyone got any wisdom to impart on the Keystone Exams?

2. WCSlider

WCSlider New Member

my thoughts?

Thoughts? It sucks. That is my thought about the Keystone exam. My oldest child is in Kindergarten. I work in a public school. She is now in a private school. This graduation test just makes me more confident my wife, and I made the right decision. First No Child Left Behind and kids being labeled by their PSSA score. Now this???

3. markedixon

markedixon Well-Known Member

WCSlider, thanks for being the only person to respond. But, could you elaborate for someone who doesn't work in a school?

Why does the Keystone Exam suck?

4. OldMama

OldMama Finally retired. Newly married. Kids are gone.

The danger of giving any of these tests- Keystone, PSSA, etc.- is that the classroom instruction could be geared to the tests. The scope of such tests are, by nature, limited. It would be tragic if, for example, the scope of a US History class were also limited based on what the tests will cover. I'd hate to see a teacher eliminate the Korean War, for example, because it's never on the test.

I'm suspicious of aligning a curriculum to match a test. Who can say what will be eliminated?

5. Freckles

Freckles Well-Known Member

Considering that many standardized tests are created without regard to curriculum anyway, aligning it is not necessarily a bad thing. It could ensure that students see things on the test that they've already learned, instead of foreign concepts or ideas that they may not have covered.

6. Reiger65

Reiger65 New Member

Tests and supportive content explained is quite challenging. My roommate is putting all her efforts in preparing for her law exam. Having latest and best material she got from online LSAT Prep few weeks back. Enrollment fee paid by her is quite nominal. Also regular in all sessions and tests.

7. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

[​IMG]

OldMama and Jayfar like this.