Keystone Corridor Upgrade

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Transportation & SEPTA' started by eldondre, Feb 24, 2009.

1. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

Third Avenue Streetscape project in Coatesville set to start this summer
    exton and the debacle at Paoli are also underway

2. Nytecat

Nytecat Well-Known Member

I've ridden through Paoli recently and it's now obvious where the center platform is going to go. But do the new catenary poles allow enough space for a future phase third track? If not, a three elevator, two track configuration is very costly and wasteful.

I also got to check out Mount Joy station. Preparations are underway to build high level platforms with elevators. I'm surprised they're not going with lower maintenance ramps at this stop in light of its lower ridership. Also, reports from a few years ago said Amtrak was getting 69 spaces from the nearby church for weekday use. For the record, it turned out to be 50 spaces. A little less than we were told. But I've followed transit parking arrangements for a long time and negotiations can be very touch and go. I'm not going to gripe about this one. The real solution is redeveloping the Days Inn site at Lancaster station with a strong parking component for Keystone passengers.

3. eldondre

Paoli-such a sad design. They will get the third track once the bridge is removed during the valley road-darby road realignment. Whether that actually happens is up for debate as it is not funded. They're creating another Jenkintown.id guess it's three elevators.
    My joy-i idea who chose that design and you're right, 19 spaces wouldn't make much of a difference. Lancaster city built a huge garage downtown that provide shuttle service to the station instead if a huge garage by the station with a shuttle downtown. The plan there is a mixed use development. The other option for parking is Middletown which is off the turnpike. The new station will be adjacent to the long term parking at the airport.

4. Nytecat

Any idea how well that downtown garage with the shuttle to Lancaster station is doing? That type of arrangement is usually regarded as an interim solution until additional on-site parking can be added later. The downtown garage wouldn't go to waste as parking there continues to be in demand.

5. eldondre

No I don't and even more frustrating is the county is talking about funding yet another downtown parking garage rather than one near the station. Lancaster county politics are as dysfunctional as anywhere. Maybe because county workers work in downtown Lancaster they don't care about train riders. a decent interim solution might be an agreement with lyft to reduce the lyft fare or a combo fare to encourage lyft ridership over parking (to free up spots for people for whom that doesn't make sense).

6. eldondre

7. Nytecat

Good catch, thanks for posting.

I managed to swing by Paoli and Exton on Saturday. The main thing I noticed at Paoli is that two of the future catenary poles are up. It appears that space for a future third track through the station is being planned for. If built, the current track 4 would become a center track. But the way the tracks are laid now, that would require the tower to be moved or demolished. I’m not sure where Paoli tower stands as an historical railway structure, but last I knew the idea was to preserve it.

At Exton they opened the east half of the eastbound platform and promptly razed the shelter that has stood there since the late ‘70s. On the westbound side they’re starting to install supports for the new platform on that side. The old wheelchair ramp to street level is being rebuilt but I like what they did to accommodate passengers in the meantime. They actually fashioned a nice looking temporary ramp along the driveway and they reused parts of the old railing to do it.

eldondre likes this.