Kenney's tax and spend administration blasts off

Discussion in 'Local and State' started by Tedk, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

"I take these bookkeeping errors and unreconciled bank accounts seriously. Unlike past mayors, I am absolutely not greeting this with the “Philly Shrug.” Jim Kenney: Controller 'recklessly' inflated accounting errors | Opinion

Kenney knew about these reconciliation issues and the missing funds in 2016 - he didn't care until this blew up, and I'm not letting Nutter and Butkovitz off the hook either because these problems go back years, but the prospect of another six years of Kenney running the city is really discouraging. Material weaknesses and significant deficiencies don't just disappear because some of the errors were corrected. Not only is he an incompetent hack but he is ignorant to boot.

Hospitalitygirl and Tartan69 like this.
  2. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

"The move could have at least three potential ripple effects: Some employees who currently work eight-hour days will be moved to a 7.5-hour schedule but paid the same salary. Others workers whose jobs require them to work eight hours must maintain that schedule and will be paid more for what, on paper, will be considered an extra 30 minutes a day. And the shorter workday means 11,000 who are eligible for overtime will see a 10 percent increase in their overtime pay rate."

Whenever I think things can't get worse, the people who run this city raise the bar for incompetence to new heights.

Philly’s new payroll system to give workers a pay bump: ‘That sounds crazy but …’

3. DMMPhilPA

DMMPhilPA Active Member

So, they built an employee time-sheet system that doesn't accommodate employees with varying base hours?

fiveomar likes this.
  4. ODragon

ODragon Well-Known Member

The person who wrote the specs probably had no idea that there were varying base hours. Everything is run like a fifedom with no consideration, thought or understanding of how other places do things. Why would the programmers program something they weren't asked for. Probably more time and money to do so.

fiveomar likes this.
  5. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Just for reference, here's the philly dot com piece from last month:
    Philly’s new payroll system to give workers a pay bump: ‘That sounds crazy but …’ | Philly.com