Kenney's tax and spend administration blasts off

Discussion in 'Local and State' started by Tedk, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

Dear Daughter is a Special Ed teacher at a high school in Brooklyn, and I completely understand the measurement of effectiveness and how difficult it is to quantify.

And to your point on teachers in China, I thought this article was excellent: Why American Students Need Chinese Schools

2. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

OK, so I counted 22 closed, 6-ABC counted 23 and you counted 24 closed. Let's go with your 24 closed out of 37 recommended by the head of the school district and that's 64.9% for a grade of D. It's not a rant but a fact.

3. OldMama

OldMama Finally retired. Newly married. Kids are gone.

So funny, HG, my son's school sounds nothing like that. It's a private school for rich kids. The vast majority are only children, of course, and spoiled rotten. The goal is to study in the US for many of them. In addition to their teaching and department head roles, my son and another American are the college counselors for those wanting American schools. They have the hoity-toity college credentials the parents like. My son says that kids are regularly pulled out of school for several weeks at a time for SAT prep classes. I've entertained a few when they come here with their parents for college tours. The only thing they don't do that many American parents do is blame the teachers for bad grades.

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  4. Lakey

Lakey Well-Known Member

So let’s look at what they did with a cluster of schools in the northwest part of the city. The 2013 plan was as follows:

Amy Northwest - remain in leased space; Parkway Northwest leave leased space and move to Leeds MS bldg
    Roosevelt MS - close; McCloskey ES - close
    Edmonds ES - move grades 5 & 6 to Leeds MS bldg

Here’s what actually happened:
    Amy and Parkway both moved into district owned buildings
    Leeds MS closed and the students were divided between Roosevelt and McCloskey
    Edmonds remained a K - 6 school and it expanded its enrollment
    Hill-Freedman MS moved to the former Leeds bldg and the Hill-Freedman bldg was closed. That move allowed Hill-Freedman which had more demand than space available to increase enrollment and start serving grades 9 - 12.

So the district saved money by moving schools and closing a building. They improved educational options for families in part of the city and they did so with the least disruption to parents and children and without significantly increasing transportation expenses.

The process of school closures in the context of a “portfolio model” district like Philadelphia is complex legally, financially and politically. Of course, banging on your keyboard about union conspiracy theories is always a solid contribution too. /s

#754 Lakey, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  5. OldMama

OldMama Finally retired. Newly married. Kids are gone.

Closing schools should not leave a area without a "neighborhood" option. In that Northwest move Laky described, Levering School (which had the fewest neighborhood children) was closed and Amy and Parkway relocated there, The remaining neighborhood kids were reassigned to three schools embraced by the neighborhood- Dobson, Cook-Wissahickon, and Shawmont. The area was not left without a neighborhood school which I think is important.

6. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

7. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  8. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

"Rhynhart reported that about 74 percent of the nearly $85 million generated by the beverage tax since its inception has gone into the city’s General Fund, which supports core government operations and balances the municipal budget primarily through taxpayer revenue."

City controller: Most soda tax revenue in General Fund, not spent on pre-K, community schools, parks rehab

Does this surprise anyone?!!!

Rhynhart was a Kenney ally who worked in his administration but she couldn't ignore his misappropriation of the soda tax funds. And now he's bellying back up to the trough scrounging for hundreds of millions more "for the kids" and council will fall in line and in a couple of years we'll find out that that money was also diverted.

Philadelphia's future is very bleak as long as these hacks keep getting re-elected.

9. Hospitalitygirl

If you are surprised by this, I have a bridge over here..............................

10. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

He panders whatever group he thinks he needs next - the result is utter chaos. Possibly the worst mayor of my lifetime.

11. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

Here we go! The fix is in.

Kenney Lowers Proposed Taxes, Citing Higher Property Values

Kenney would have us believe that he lowered his ask to to 4.1% because his office just realized that real estate values increased. This is obviously a closed door deal with council designed to short circuit any meaningful debate on this issue.

How many more insults are the citizens of Philadelphia willing to absorb before they finally get off their asses and vote these craven hacks out of office?

12. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

It does appear that property values increased more than expected at least in part because avi isn't keeping up with it annually
    Philly's new property assessments are out - and your tax bill is likely climbing

13. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

Search Continues For Tens Of Millions In Missing Philadelphia Taxpayer Money

I'm amazed at the total incompetence of the people who run this city.Why hasn't someone been fired yet? What the hell was "the watchdog" Alan Butkovitz doing all these years? Where were Kenney and the rest of the "asleep at the wheel' hacks on City Council while this travesty was going on. It's just business as usual, but no worries, we'll just tap the citizens for some new taxes. And Kenney's smug and impatiently dismissive answer to the reporter who asked him about the money was basically "just because it wasn't reconciled doesn't mean the money's missing". Like I said, how many more insults ...

14. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

I would like to say "nobody is that dumb, and this is clearly a case of embezzlement"...however in the 12 years I have lived here I have come to sadly realize that some of the least competent people that walk this earth are running this city.

Hospitalitygirl and fiveomar like this.
  15. boognish

boognish Well-Known Member

Agreed. I honestly think this a matter of poor accounting. But I wouldn't put anything past anyone nowadays.

Hospitalitygirl and Jayfar like this.
  16. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

Take a look at this What Did They Know? When Did They Know It?- The Philadelphia Citizen . This confirms your realization about the incompetence that pervades Philadelphia. Anyone who can look at this testimony and not be convinced that it's time to clean house top to bottom is as incompetent and ignorant as the people who have been running this city into the ground. The only positive thing about this video is that it has convinced me that Allan Domb needs to be the next Mayor and needs to have a completely new city council supporting him to finally get this city moving in the right direction again.

17. Tartan69

Jaw dropping stupidity on display. That woman shouldn't be treasurer for a 10 year old's lemonade stand.

How do these cretins justify continually asking us for more tax dollars? Talk about throwing good money after bad.

Thanks for posting this Ted.

fiveomar and Hospitalitygirl like this.
  18. boognish

Holy crap.

I was willing to chalk this up to poor accounting (which of course is also incompetence), but wow.

We bought our house eight years ago, and almost every single year we've had property tax increases. Add that to the onerous income tax. And the fact that as an independent contractor I have to jump through hoops just to pay my own share of taxes doesn't exactly sweeten the pot.

I love this city. We could live virtually anywhere in the world, but we chose Philadelphia. For the love of god, stop pushing me away. This is starting to feel like an abusive relationship.

Thank god for Penn. Honestly...without them, I'd be gone. They patrol our streets, clean up our garbage, and add tremendous stability to my neighborhood including a world-class K-8 school that my daughter will attend. But I'm honestly thinking about moving the hell out and that's a terrible feeling.

OTOH, maybe I'll get a city job. Seems like the bar is set pretty low.

/rant

Edit: Penn does all that in my neighborhood, Spruce Hill.

fiveomar, Scoats, phillyaggie and 2 others like this.
  19. Tartan69

Agree. I include Paul Levy and the CCD in that list.

20. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

I had to turn it off - it's too depressing. I cannot understand why the city continues to vote in any old Democrat that comes along (Independent speaking here). There's no end to this incompetence.

21. Hospitalitygirl

Lately, they seem to be turning away from people that have union-type support and towards the strain of Dem running lately, namely reactionary to Trump, uber-Progressive types. Frankly, we're just trading in one lemon for another.

Even I, long time city champion, have grown weary of the shit going on here, and a red-state is starting to look more appealing. "Shudder"...

fiveomar likes this.
  22. phillyaggie

phillyaggie Well-Known Member

May be I've not been closely following all this, so I'm numb to it.

Or may be I've grown used to the Philly way of doing things, in my 8 years living here.

So I figure that's just how this city's government "works". Should I move back to Texas? I love living here-- but the city certainly makes it hard to be here. May be I'll just sell and move to a PA suburb.

23. phillyaggie

phillyaggie Well-Known Member

I can't believe that west Philly keeps reelecting Jannie Blackwell. Educated folks and all... but then I realize Penn is actually a pretty big den and producer of radical leftist ideas and ideologues. But in that case, Blackwell would be replaced by one of the Bernie-crats. But for whatever structural reasons (or just voter apathy?) of all the political positions, the Philadelphia city district countilperson position seems the hardest to unseat. You could die while holding that office (or murder someone else) and the good citizens of Philly will reelect you still.

fiveomar likes this.
  24. Hospitalitygirl

She has been powerful enough to squelch her opposition from even happening, but her time is coming too, and expect her to be replaced by some uber-crat.

fiveomar and boognish like this.
  25. boognish

The University City area is just a tiny fraction of West Philly. Penn/Drexel have very little sway in local elections considering many are not permanent residents. I'm not a registered Democrat, but a tremendous opportunity was recently lost when Jim Roebuck was renominated. One of his opponents is on the vanguard of what hopefully will be the future of local Dem politics. I don't want to get too into it, but I'm really pissed off and simultaneously hopeful.

Voter apathy is very strong in this town. I don't simply mean not voting...but rather just pushing the button for the buffoon whose name rings a bell.

26. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

No problem. I expect that Kenney is already talking to the knuckleheads in Seattle: Commentary: How Seattle’s New Tax to Fight Homelessness Could Ruin its Economy

"The head tax is exactly what it sounds like: a straight levy of $0.14 per hour per employee—about $275 a year for a full-time worker—targeting every business in Seattle with revenues of $20 million or more."

Hey Jim, why stop at 14 cents. Go for 28 cents an hour. Then you can take that money and throw it in the General Fund with the soda tax money. Wait a minute! That's the account that is missing $27 million and hasn't been reconciled since 2012. No matter - that's Philadelphia business as usual.

phillyaggie likes this.
  27. Hospitalitygirl

Don't give the buffoon any ammunition.

28. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

29. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

"Some say Mayor Kenney is using the Office of Property Assessment for backdoor tax hikes, on top of the sweetened-drinks tax and the wage tax." City Council can stop Philly's sky-high property reassessments on June 5. But will it?
    Of course he is! What happened to trying to save money by trimming an out of control budget. During the campaign Kenney promised to institute a zero based budget -BS as usual - the word save doesn't even exist in his vocabulary. This guy marked time (24 years) on city council producing nothing, all the while double dipping by consulting for an architecture firm and Blue Cross among other side jobs. Now he's the mayor and is raising every possible tax that he can. This city is screwed.

OakmontGuy, ZARK, fiveomar and 2 others like this.
  30. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

The controller's office issued a scathing report concerning Philadelphia's accounting practices. Please sign this petition if you agree that there should be a moratorium an all new or increased taxes until the city gets its house in order.

Sign the Petition