Kenney's tax and spend administration blasts off

Discussion in 'Local and State' started by Tedk, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

When they go outside of the city to buy that sweet, fizzy water you speak of, they discover that other items cost less as well. Anything not food but still necessary in a household that people still need, has a sales tax. When you are no longer paying 8% but 6%, and saving money on a variety of beverages not necessarily sweet, fizzy, water, it really does start to add up. It is worth it.

**I don't drink that sweet, fizzy, water. But I, like many of us, have taken that trip across state borders to buy that sort of fermented and alcoholic water, fizzy or not.

OakmontGuy likes this.
  2. billy ross

billy ross Well-Known Member

I can't imagine going out of my way to save money on sweetened drinks. I go out of my way to buy unsweetened anyway, which is kind of the point. But you're right about wine. While it's very rare for me to drive especially to Moore Brothers and I've never gone out of my way to go to Delaware to buy wine, I do enjoy stopping when en route.

On Memorial Day we visited Annapolis on the way home from D.C., then grabbed wine on the way home. It was insane - maybe $300 worth. That's now gone and I'm overdue for another trip. There's really good tequila imported by a Philly outfit and it's not even in the state stores. Of course this isn't the city's fault though.

3. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

So we have a perfect storm of idiocy by the city and the state, and it drives people elsewhere, and in enough numbers that it negatively impacts receivables. And the governmental entities are ridiculous for hewing to their various ideologies, to the detriment of all of us, and they still don't care.

OakmontGuy likes this.
  4. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

The metropolis of claymont hosts total wines largest store by volume.

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  5. Asuit

Asuit Well-Known Member

Bixbyte likes this.
  6. Bixbyte

Bixbyte Well-Known Member

Asuit likes this.
  7. Bixbyte

Bixbyte Well-Known Member

ONE TERM KENNY ON A ROLL:

At What Price Soda Tax? - The Philadelphia Citizen

That’s right, the Mayor’s instinct when confronted by the data that one in four of the new city-sanctioned pre-K providers lack evidence of proper child abuse screening is to quote that noted urban policy expert…Allen Iverson: “We talking ‘bout practice.

The Mayor’s cavalier dismissal of this issue is particularly vexing, given that, just earlier this month, a Bella Vista child care center was raided and its owner charged with sexually assaulting two children.

8. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

"The Kenney administration claimed victory on pension reform when it announced last month that it had signed a $245 million, three-year contract with the Fraternal Order of Police.

With that agreement, and one last year with AFSCME District Council 33, the city said it was in a position to fortify its beleaguered pension fund, which has less than half the $11 billion it has pledged to pay retirees.

But much of the so-called reform to stabilize the fund by 2030 is coming from Philadelphia taxpayers and consumers.

Taxpayers will be kicking upward of $600 million into the fund each year, with tens of millions of dollars more from sales tax revenue."

City's pension 'reform' hits taxpayers, consumers

As usual, this is nothing more than the usual Philadelphia shell game that touts reform but just keeps soaking the taxpayers and delays the day of reckoning until the current collection of political hacks is long gone.

fiveomar likes this.
  9. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

While I agree that within an 8% deviation is not bad just as you said, I feel that's only ok in a vacuum. The burden is on the City to exceed their estimate simply because it changed the status quo so negatively and so drastically.