Kenney's tax and spend administration blasts off

Discussion in 'Local and State' started by Tedk, Feb 29, 2016.

1. vampyre927

vampyre927 Well-Known Member

Darryl(John Street) Clarke never says anything without someone "slipping him a Hundred dollar bill", he learned from the BEST(and most corrupt)

2. Bixbyte

Bixbyte Well-Known Member

Now Kenny and Shitty council blame layoffs on corporate Greed:p
    Sick AH run Philly gov.

Pepsi to lay off 80 to 100 workers, citing Philadelphia tax

Pepsi to lay off 80 to 100 workers, citing Philadelphia tax

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Pepsi says slumping sales from Philadelphia's new sweetened-beverage tax are prompting layoffs of 80 to 100 workers at three distribution plants that serve the city.

The company sent out notices Wednesday saying layoffs will occur at plants in north and south Philadelphia and in Wilmington, Delaware, The Philadelphia Inquirer (http://bit.ly/2m8IEDW) reported.

Dave DeCecco, spokesman for the Purchase, New York-based company that employs 423 people in the city, said the tax has cut sales by 40 percent there.

"Unfortunately, after careful consideration of the economic realities created by the recently enacted beverage tax, we have been forced to give notice that we intend to eliminate 80 to 100 positions, including frontline and supervisory roles, in Philadelphia over the next few months, beginning today," DeCecco said.

The city blasted the news, with spokeswoman Lauren Hitt saying "the soda industry sunk to a new low today."

vampyre927 likes this.
  3. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

And Pettiness. No way a multi-billion dollar company just cut that many jobs because they are hurting that bad two months into the tax being inforced.

But hey, any time they can cut jobs to help their bottom line, they will take any excuse and run with it. This is the life of a publicly traded company that always chasing new highs.

4. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

Are you sure it's just to be petty? The industry has been losing ground for some time, and this move could really have been a tipping point for them.

Debbie and Frejo like this.
  5. Bixbyte

"Pettiness"? No it is economics. If I sell a product and am forced to raise my prices 50% due to higher costs sales will decline arithmetically.
    So did Kenny and the shitty council workers know that? (BIG FAT YES)
    So if the bottling plants in the Philadelphia vicinity experience a 50% decrease in sales their revenues decline 50% and Jobs are cut.
    Ought to be an interesting election. Kenny the goon was endorsed as union friendly?
    First business he brought in an outsider instead of hiring the local guy for the FD chief.
    Then he decided to offer free Pre-K without repairing the broke Philly School System!
    Smells like rampant political fraud running our city?
    Republicans are going to have to come in and clean the City like Trump and the US gov. :p

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  6. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

The timing was petty. They were going to cut jobs eventually, the tax just lets them get off the hook as the bad guys. Again, a billion dollar corporation doesn't just make cuts quickly if they weren't in the pipeline for months(Which means before they even knew the results of the tax) to help their quarterly reports.

#606 mixiboi, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  7. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

We aren't talking about a mom and pop shop here, we are talking about Pepsi and top 100 brand in the world. They can absorb things like this for a while. And what does a 50% decrease actually mean? How did that number effect 90-100 jobs?

That's the economics Pepsi not telling us. That's because they don't want to look like the bad guys.

If Walgreens can absorb the Soda tax and NOT pass it on to the customers(You don't pay the tax at Walgreens), then this isn't about economics.

8. Bixbyte

I CALL BULL SHIT!
    Single 12 Pack at Walgreens is $5.99 for one, same exact price as all the other markets in Philadelphia.
    No Limits in New Mexico :p
    The same circular is valid in Philly. And in fact I think Walgreens is the most expensive store.
    Walgreens does not pay the TAX, The soda makers pays the TAX!
    YOU DO NOT PAY THE TAX AT ACME either the soda maker pays the TAX.
    That is why they are laying off workers they can not afford to give soda away for free.
    THE F* PHILLY SODA TAX IS MOOOORE MONEY THAN THE SODA MAKERS PRICE OF SODA!
    Don't you get it? Your City is F*ing all the union workers and you defend them?

Screenshot from 2017-03-06 13-41-00.png

9. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

:rolleyes: go to Walgreens and check the receipt yourself.

The price for Soda went up before the tax, BTW, but they will have the same 2 for $3.00 sale for 20oz sodas...

10. Bixbyte

BTW, THE 2 for $3 sale on for 20 oz at Walgreens
    At Acme those Cokes were $1 buck each before the F*ing Philly Soda Tax! :p

11. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

"Bad" foods or nutrients that were over-eaten include salt and salty foods; processed meats including bacon, bologna and hot dogs; red meat including steaks and hamburgers; and sugary drinks. Bacon, soda & too few nuts tied to big portion of US deaths

One down. Now get ready for Kenney's salty foods tax, bacon tax, bologna tax, hot dog tax, steak tax and hamburger tax. And just remember, "it's for the children"

Bixbyte and Hospitalitygirl like this.
  12. Nytecat

Nytecat Well-Known Member

Everyone:

Thanks to my friend Nytecat I wanted to add some observations that I noticed on my first visit
    of 2017 to Philly since the City beverage tax took effect...

I went to a local Save-A-Lot store along with going to a Dollar Tree store in Center City yesterday.
    At the Save-A-Lot the two liter store brand soda bottles which were once priced at 79 cents are now $1.90
    Half and full gallons of United Iced Tea which once was $1.29 and $1.79 respectively now cost $2.15 and
    $3.91. 12 packs of store brand can soda are $4.66 - unfortunately do not recall the old 12 pack price.

At the CC Dollar Tree I noticed that all drinks other then bottled water are either 12 or 16 ounce bottles.
    There is nothing larger remembering that three liter soda bottles were part of what was once sold.

I am going to a Dollar Tree outside the City limits at some point today. I will take note of drink choices
    that are available.

Some Burger King locations offer the option of unlimited drink such as two that I am familiar with which
    are at Castor and Aramingo Avenues and on Cottman Avenue across from Northeast High School.
    I will go to one of these and use a coupon that includes a drink and take note of any extra cost along
    with if the cold drink machine has been moved behind the counter.

McDonald's recently noted that they are going with one price for all cold drink sizes. Does anyone know
    if any McDonald's within Philadelphia offers or once offered unlimited cold drink and what the one size
    price with added tax will be will be along with comparison to locations outside the City?
    In my area of LI I can think of two McDonald's nearby - one with and one without unlimited
    cold drinks. More then likely the franchisee has the choice on what option to offer.

This tax has made widespread news especially remembering that former NYC Mayor Mike Bloomberg
    once proposed something similar and I have noticed changes such as Burger King locations in Queens
    that I sometimes patronize have removed the unlimited cold drink option making me wonder if there is
    any rule that now prohibits that type of sale that I am not aware of...

Long Island Mike 3/8/2017

#612 Nytecat, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  13. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

There will be armed rebellion in response to a bacon tax. Bet on it. ;)

14. ArcticSplash

ArcticSplash Dixie Normus

I still think kale should be taxed at $1 a leaf.

The people who buy it can afford it easily.

Jayfar likes this.
  15. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

presumably kale is food and therefore exempt like bacon

16. Nytecat

Everyone: (again,thanks Nytecat)

In part two of my little fact finding trip concerning the Beverage Tax I went over to Castor and Aramingo Ave.
    I noticed that there was a McDonald's on that corner so I went in to see what cold drink prices were and on
    their menu board S-M-L were priced at $1.39, 1.99 and 2.29. Unlimited drink was available - I then noticed a
    customer filling a large cup and I asked what the price was and found out that the any size cold drink price
    is $1.59. I now wonder if this one size cold drink price is lower at McDonald's outside the City...

Went to Burger King across the street and noticed nothing out of the ordinary when I paid for my meal.
    The cold drink S-M-L prices were $2.09, 2.49 and 2.96. I noticed on my receipt that the 6 percent PA
    sales tax and the 2 percent City sales tax were listed separately. This is no different basically than the
    8 percent sales tax I pay on LI. BK does offer the unlimited drink option I remember there.

In the afternoon I went to Dollar Tree at 6701 Market Street in Upper Darby. I noticed that large bottles of
    soft drinks readily available with those three liter soda bottles very visible. Those three liter bottles are
    the Stars and Stripes brand from Cott beverages. www.cott.com
    Some old enough may remember the slogan "It's Cott to be good"...
    I bought a 42 ounce bottle of Arizona Iced Tea there to take along...
    I now know that Dollar Tree pulled all drink stock that would be subject to the City tax and sell them at
    their stores outside the City limits which I had figured that they would do...

Had to go to Save-A-Lot today and pick up some items - and I noticed that there were added
    notes with the posted soda and iced tea prices to show how much beverage tax is added -
    2 liter bottle - $1.01, 12 pack can soda $2.16, 64 ounce tea 96 cents and 128 ounces $1.92.
    Other beverage items subject to the tax have similar posted notes reflecting tax amounts.
    For some reason I missed this earlier even though I was specifically looking for this type
    of information to see exactly how much tax each item is subject to...

From reading about and now learning first hand about the Beverage Tax I am in agreement
    that this is a regressive form of taxation and that another form of added tax - a sales tax
    adding over and above the current 8 percent charged in the City (5-7 percent more?) may
    have been much easier to live with instead of what has transpired so far in 2017.

Long Island Mike 3/9/2017

#616 Nytecat, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  17. Nytecat

Everyone: (Again thanks to Nytecat) Part three...

I went to a McDonald's in Ardmore and found that the one size cold drink price is $1.59 which is the same as
    the Castor and Aramingo Avenue price - not what I was expecting but understandable.

Last month McDonald's announced that they are going to lower the price of all sizes of cold drinks to $1 and
    their McCafe brand drinks to $2 as a response to slower recent fast food sales.

www.delish.com/food-news/a51683/mcdonalds-cutting-prices-on-drinks/

It will be interesting to see what McDonald's does concerning this promotion at City outlets subject to the
    Beverage Tax. Will the $1.59 price (which includes refills where available) remain? Here are two other interesting links pertaining to McDonald's where beverages are concerned.

McDonald's to Cut Prices on Drinks as Industry Slumps

McDonald's Soft Drink Pricing Strategy

Took notice on a Save-A-Lot circular dated March 5-11 these price listings:
    3/$8.97 for three 12 packs of Pepsi products - limit of six*
    Save-A-Lot Soda two liter bottles for 89 cents each - assorted varieties*
    Jumex Nectar 11.3 ounce cans - three for $1*
    Arizona Tea 12 pack 11.5 ounce cans $3.99*
    I then noticed in small print this sentence on the bottom of the circular page:
    "*Price does not include cost of Philadelphia beverage tax, where applicable"

The City should have realized when they were creating the Beverage Tax that there were ways "around"
    paying a large cost tax just by shopping outside the City and should have come up with something that
    not singles out certain beverage types over others and can be much more easier to budget for and deal
    with. A fairer tax of some type that we all can live with and is reasonable should have been the way.

Long Island Mike 3/11/2017

#617 Nytecat, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  18. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Temple halts meal-plan increase, agrees to take another look | Philly.com

19. Hospitalitygirl

You know, I just wish the muffas would just be honest (a politician honest? Ha!) about the real purpose of this tax. We all know it's not for idiotic Universal Pre-K. It was just a way to add to this brokeassed city's coffers.

20. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

I would say their issue is equal parts dishonesty and incompetence

21. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

"Honest gets you nowhere in politics" - Abe Lincoln

Tartan69 likes this.
  22. Bixbyte

All I hear from Kenny is the subject of Pre-K
    On the news last night they ask him about what is the City doing about the terrible situation with all the Streets frozen solid and no one can drive their cars out of the secondaries and he answers that the ice will melt in 3 or 4 days!
    NO SALT NO HELP from the Mayor for the solid ice streets.
    And now under his leadership Philly all he did was BRAG about his free Pre-K.
    HE ain't doing Shit about the big freeze.
    Not helping the School District of Phila and the LOWEST paid Teachers in the Country.
    No quality education comes from the bottom of the barrel teachers.
    But BUT BUT Kenny's poor kids have free pre-K off the unions and supermarket workers jobs.
    AND Kenny is sooo concerned about the rights of illegal aliens so concerned
    he does not have time to waste to SALT your Streets!
    WTF is wrong with the Mayor?

#622 Bixbyte, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  23. ODragon

ODragon Well-Known Member

Superemo in West Philly is charging soda tax on seltzer. They even put up a sign explaining the $1.39 extra. I guess they're either hoping you don't notice or don't understand how it works.

fiveomar likes this.
  24. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

25. Hospitalitygirl

Scoats likes this.
  26. OKT3

OKT3 Garager

27. Bixbyte

28. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Petty because they don't have any proof they need to do this three months into the sugar tax.

They just putting pressure on the city to, as the thousands of dollars they are pouring into ads, "ax the tax".

They just afraid that other cities will follow suit and they will really be hurting then.

29. ODragon

ODragon Well-Known Member

Are these paper ads? I've not seen any on TV.

30. Politburo

Politburo Well-Known Member

Genius move for Pepsi.. force people to buy more expensive (per oz) 20 oz and 6 packs, while blaming it on the city. The idea that this is about 'affordability' doesn't add up. The tax is the same whether I buy (2) 1-liter bottles or (1) 2-liter bottles. But in the former scenario, you will actually end up paying more.

And this: "Pepsi’s beverage sales are down 40% in the city and up only 10-15% outside the city." is deliberately misleading. It seems to say that there is a 25-30% shortfall in sales. But it doesn't actually say that, because we don't know the basis of either percentage. It's a safe assumption that sales outside the city are much higher than sales in the city, since only 25% of the metro area population lives in the city.

mixiboi and Jayfar like this.