Kenney continues to grandstand.

Discussion in 'Local and State' started by Baloo, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

Philadelphia City Council...Land of Giants (appropriating the old Steve Lopez line, Pennsylvania, Land of Giants.)

2. Baloo

Baloo Proud Roman Catholic

Kenney's too busy arguing with trolls on Twitter about sports to put any kind of good resolutions in place.

Bixbyte likes this.
  3. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

A spokesman for the Philadelphia Republican Party issued a statement in response to Mayor Jim Kenney's remarks. "If you want failed leadership, look no further than the decades Mayor Kenney has spent on City Council and now as Mayor; his neglect in dealing with the city's major issues speaks for itself. Has he addressed our looming pensions crisis or our terrible public schools in any serious way? We'd suggest that Mayor Kenney spend less time enhancing his national profile and get back to work solving the city's problems."

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ZuT2AD49r6uTQ00c2ff4c&t=1477062669&j=76202681

Unfortunately, Kenney is a union lackey who spent 20 years on city council with few accomplishments and I expect will have equally few accomplishments as he bloviates his way through the next eight years.

Bixbyte, eldondre and Hospitalitygirl like this.
  4. Cya

Cya Don't get me started

Let's see what Kenny has to say about Trump's promise to defund Sanctuary Cities. Reverse the policy, cooperate with ICE detainers for illegal aliens or risk federal funds being withheld. As soon as the citizens of Phila realize that he's putting his liberal, illegal alien lobbyist driven interests before those of the vast majority of citizens? He'll be impeached so fast, he'll spin right off his seat.

Bixbyte likes this.
  5. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

I was sure you were going to say bar stool. ;)

Cya and Hospitalitygirl like this.
  6. Bixbyte

Bixbyte Well-Known Member

Here is where the bar stool belongs:
    Kenney.png

Asuit likes this.
  7. billy ross

billy ross Well-Known Member

How much does Philly get in federal funds? I checked the school district's budget and it was about one half of one percent. I can't imagine that at that level it would be worth it to incur the costs of meeting the various federal mandates; foregoing a half percent of your revenue would probably be cheaper.

8. Bixbyte

Bixbyte Well-Known Member

HOW much money does the City Workers steal off the residents with the HIGHEST
    water, gas, Real Estate, Sales Tax, and Fees in the Country?
    They have little to worry about except our POWER to vote these GOONS out of office.
    Next Election dump the GOONS.

9. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

It's wrong to blackmail places with federal funds whether the issue is drinking age or deportation imo

#39 eldondre, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    Hospitalitygirl and Jayfar like this.
  10. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

Why? That money isn't free.

Frejo likes this.
  11. eldondre

Irrelevant. You're using blackmail to force someone else to do what you want. Why should a state have to forego highway funds (which absolutely were free to the federal government) in order to set their own policy? This is a democracy and we should be able to have differences of opinion and laws from place to place

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  12. billy ross

billy ross Well-Known Member

Because it's a complete usurpation of states' rights and a violation of the Constitution. The interstate commerce clause has been ridiculously abused, and the bureaucrats in Washington, DC are completely out of control. They have violated our federal system and left state capitals and cities with amazingly little power as Ever more power was concentrated in the out of control federal government.

The question is whether the R's who will control DC love devolving power through federalism or whether they love gathering power into DC, now that they - for the moment - control DC.

Bixbyte and eldondre like this.
  13. Tartan69

Agree that we should be able to have differences of opinion and laws from place to place. And agree that this is about State's rights (of which I am in support of in general).

But the current fact is that these dollars are NOT free...they come from my pocket and have an opportunity cost of not being for other things. If the state/city doesn't' want those dollars, then don't take them. Then you can do what you want. But in the meantime, if there are stipulations attached to the monies, then you need to follow them.

Frejo likes this.
  14. Cya

Cya Don't get me started

I read an article today where Kenny is doubling down, stomping his feet, saying Philly will remain a Sanctuary City-- No! Not a sanctuary city. A "Fourth Amendment" City.
    He's basically saying, screw Trump and screw the taxpaying citizens of Phila and its suburbs. Kenney is no match for Trump, believe me. If Kenney wants to fight Trump? I'll tell ya right now what will happen: Trump will come out very vocally criticizing Kenny, telling people how he is single handedly putting citizens at risk daily, he is incompetent, how he values the lives of CRIMINAL illegals over law abiding residents, how Kenney's poor judgement is going to cost the city specific funding streams used for law enforcement, etc. Then Trump will drag city council into the mix. Before you know it, the entire country will know each of our loser councilpeople (who support Sanctuary Cities) for who they are: traitors to their own citizens they were elected to represent and protect. Bring it on, Kenny.

PS: Where's Cro? Hi Cro!! :D

Scoats, Asuit and Bixbyte like this.
  15. eldondre

None of which makes the use of federal funds for such purposes right. The money is free to the feds, they do not earn it they simply take it

16. Tartan69

Now that he has blood on his hands because of this (it was only a matter of time), let's see how your prediction plays out.

[​IMG]

17. Templeton

Templeton Well-Known Member

Is it true that the city would have handed him over if they had gotten a warrant? If so, why didn't they get a warrant?

18. Politburo

Politburo Well-Known Member

What isn't clear is how he was matched by ICE for the detainer. Likely biometric since he had been deported previously, but we don't know if it was just the name which I doubt would satisfy the criteria for a warrant. Also not clear when the detainer was issued, as DHS policy was changing around this timeframe (which is March 2014 - mid-2015, not even in the Kenney administration). We know that in 2015 some 60% of detainers were not followed up on by ICE which raises the question of whether ICE did that here.

19. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Title of thread is ironic considering that it is the U.S. Attorney who is grandstanding now and serving as an Internet troll to fire up Trump's base.

20. Tartan69

Will concede that detail, although we all know he was on council and was an active advocate of the sanctuary city concept. Also doesn't change the larger point about sanctuary cities in general, which he clearly still supports.

21. Tartan69

My understanding is that yes the city would have, however federal immigration law only requires a detainer.

22. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

However, as I recall, at least one municipality already found out they can be sued if ICE issues a detainer in error and the municipality turns the targeted person over to the feds without a warrant.

23. Tartan69

Where? Keep in mind that being sued is not the same as being found liable.

Cya likes this.
  24. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Allentown man wrongly jailed as illegal immigrant settles suit against Lehigh County

Ernesto Galarza was held for three days after ICE issued detainer.
    June 02, 2014 By Peter Hall, Of The Morning Call
    A New Jersey native mistakenly jailed for three days as a suspected illegal immigrant has settled his lawsuit against Lehigh County for $95,000, his attorneys said.

Ernesto Galarza of Allentown also received a total of $50,000 in earlier settlements with the federal government and city police for their roles in the incident.

But the greatest impact in Galarza's case comes from a federal appeals court ruling that eliminates confusion over the responsibility local authorities have to hold people suspected of being in the country illegally.

A 2011 study by the Warren Institute on Law and Social Policy estimated 3,600 U.S. citizens had been wrongly held on immigration detainers.

In March, the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that immigration detainers, like the one issued by U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement after Galarza was arrested in a 2008 drug raid, are only requests.

[snip]

https://www.aclu.org/files/assets/issue_brief_-_what_ice_isnt_telling_you_about_detainers.pdf
    In addition to the costs of detention, your agency faces the costs of legal liability if you choose to comply with ICE detainers. Detainer lawsuits are regular occurrences, and although the request comes from ICE, the choice to comply means a state, county, or city is liable for potential damages. In 2011, for example, Jefferson County in Colorado agreed to pay $40,000 after holding a man in jail for 47 days on an ICE detainer (well past the detainer’sown time limit). In 2008, New York City agreed to pay $145,000 to settle a lawsuit by a man who was wrongly held on ICE detainers for a total of 140 days. And in 2010, Spokane County, Washington, agreed to pay a $35,000 settlement to a man who was wrongly held without bail for 20 days because of an ICE detainer.

#54 Jayfar, Aug 9, 2018 at 10:29 PM
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018 at 10:38 PM
  25. Tartan69

That's insane. Per your link the liability risk as described is pretty clear, but still insane. How the hell does our country even function with conflicting laws like this?

Will have to do more reading...

26. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Constitutional rights to due process extend to all people within our borders, regardless of their immigration status.

Do undocumented immigrants have constitutional rights? | Politifact.com

Excerpt:
    "There is no question that all persons in the United States including unauthorized migrants enjoy the protections of the Constitution," said Gabriel (Jack) Chin, law professor at University of California-Davis. "There is no debate about that among legal scholars."

The Fifth Amendment, as well as the Fourteenth Amendment protects everyone from deprivation of life, liberty or property without due process of law, Chin said.

There have been several court decisions dating back more than a century that outline the rights of undocumented immigrants.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Zadvydas vs. Davis (2001) that "once an alien enters the country, the legal circumstance changes, for the due process clause applies to all persons within the United States."

In a Texas case, Plyler vs. Doe, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 1982 that non-citizen children must get a free K-12 education.

But undocumented immigrants don’t share all of the rights held by citizens -- for example, they can’t vote in state and national elections.

Titus likes this.
  27. Tartan69

I should clarify my preceding comment -- I wasn't lamenting the functioning of the country in regards to constitutional rights to non citizens. My issue here is around the myriad of conflicting laws, and the insanity of holding a locality liable for following federal process. I would imagine that this question of liability will eventually go to the Supes, and they may overturn it. Either way the direction needs to be aligned.

With that said, I don't agree that illegal immigrants should get the same constitutional protections. But I agree that is a change in law...and probably won't happen.

28. ShoshTrvls

ShoshTrvls Well-Known Member

So you're cool with throwing people in prison forever without cause and without a trial? That's what they do in places like North Korea and Russia ....

oh, wait ....

29. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

That would require a change in the constitution. The protection arises from the wording of the 14th Amendment.

The 14th Amendment, “No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.”

The key word in this Amendment is the word “person”. There it is as clear as day right after the term citizens. This leaves little doubt that the Amendment was clearly meant to include every person living within the jurisdiction. That means everyone, including those without papers, and the U.S. Supreme Court seems to agree. In Zadvydas v. Davis (2001) the U.S. Supreme Court said that "due process" of the 14th Amendment applies to all aliens in the United States whose presence may be or is "unlawful, involuntary or transitory."

The 14th Amendment Protects Illegal Immigrants

Also see: Yes, illegal aliens have constitutional rights | TheHill.com

30. Tartan69

At no point did I say zero protections.