Just how sick is the stock market?

Discussion in 'National / Global Business' started by torts, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  2. MackeyDingo

MackeyDingo REALLY Well-Known Member

Which is why America first is a fishing hook for the ignorant, the bitter, and the actually helpless.

3. Tartan69

Disagree. That competition aspect is only part of the overall calculation. We could easily have a 0% tax rate and no tariffs but then that impacts our job market. There's a balance that needs to be struck between taxes and employment rates, weighing in all of the external factors.

4. MackeyDingo

Then you don't understand what people mean when they say American first.

America first is building factories in America, not overseas. Regardless of cost. This is stupid for exactly the reason you stated: American companies are in competition with the rest of the world, and need to consider cost.

America first means limiting immigration, despite all the facts telling us that immigrants are a driving force in our economy, creating more jobs than they take, and starting more businesses than American-born people. We are in a global competition for these people. Prior to November 2016, we attracted the best in the world. Fewer and fewer want to come here now.

That's not all. Not even close. The idea of America itself is competing with the idea of countries like China, Germany, etc. We offer our ideas of democracy, individual liberty and free markets to the world. The world has many options and do not need to follow our example. The current trend is not toward democracy, but is a consolidation of power (China, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Russia). When we close our doors, opt out of UNESCO, renege on the Paris Accord, renege on the Iran deal, spend years creating a transpacific partnership where America's interests rule and then walk away with not a word, ban religious groups, we are broadcasting our ideas to the global marketplace.

5. Tartan69

The problem is that our political and capital culture is one of short-term views on cost and benefit. Our corporations have saved tons of money by moving things overseas, but the cost is lost jobs, a bifurcation of our wealth, and the inability to control certain products and industries. If China takes over Taiwan, we are *SCREWED* for semiconductors for quite some time. This is a strategic problem that demands we address even if the short term cost/benefit is negative.

Also keep in mind that thanks to regulation, we aren't even close to competing on a level and fair playing field internationally.

You appear to have a fundamental misunderstanding of the immigration problem. Nobody is saying not to allow the best and brightest in. In fact, people like Trump are explicitly stating that they want these people. It's the ones at the low end that are not wanted.

Now, even with the high end, we should not be bringing these people in only to make them wage slaves who don't put back into the economy. Not only are we cannibalizing our own job market, we are actively harming the overall economy to the benefit of a few large corporations. I have too many experiences with H1B on this note to count.

This is why the Neocons failed. They didn't realize that the rest of the world is not ready or willing to have the kind of setup we have. And culturally, may never be.

6. MackeyDingo

This is true. We don't allow companies to dump sludge into our rivers (except for coal waste, which is great again) poison exhaust into our air, and we have myriad other protections to avoid things like Love Canal and China's unbreathable air crisis.

Yeah, it adds cost not to pollute, just like its extra effort for me to put my garbage into a waste bin and then take my trash can to the curb instead of just dropping my trash on the floor of my house.

[​IMG]

7. Tartan69

I think you misunderstand...I'm not saying we should not regulate. Even as a libertarian-leaning type I totally agree that the common good is important from a public health and quality of life standpoint.

What I'm saying is that not everyone is playing by the same rules...as your photo very clearly shows. And that hurts us economically. The optimal path is that we require everyone else to play by those same rules, but until that happens, we aren't on a level playing field.

8. MackeyDingo

I don't dispute that.
    We agree!

9. Tartan69

Oh ok. I mistakenly interpreted your "extra effort to not drop trash on the floor" as sarcasm rather than literal.