Jawn

Discussion in 'Culture' started by Burholme06, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Burholme06

Burholme06 Well-Known Member

Jawn

So about this stupid word, maybe some people can enlighten me. I won’t say that I never used the word when I was a kid in the 80’s but I don’t think I have really heard it in common use in decades. But I’ve noticed there has been a renewed interest in it, included articles where Phd students are discussing its usage. It seems that people are trying to embrace it as this definitely Philadelphia expression…like everyone who is from here uses it in their everyday speech. I just realized that Neshaminy Creek Brewing has a beer with “Jawn” in the name. I’m all for embracing local quirks but is this really one? And if it is one, is it one worth perpetuating?

vampyre927 likes this.
  2. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

I think it peaked and then subsided again last year, although I think it's been more popular among young blacks over the longer term. It has essentially the same meaning as chumpie.

A few years ago Ippolito's Seafood ads in the local weekly papers regularly mentioned their Crispy Fish Jawns, which were basically fried fish scraps.

What The Hell are Crispy Fish Jawns?

This is probably one of the articles you were referring to:

The Enduring Mystery Of 'Jawn', Philadelphia's All-Purpose Noun | Atlas Obscura

#2 Jayfar, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    MackeyDingo and vampyre927 like this.
  3. Marilyn

Marilyn Honey Badger

Thanks for linking to my article! I almost forgot about this place. o_O

vampyre927 likes this.
  4. vampyre927

vampyre927 Well-Known Member

JAWN MEANS EVERYTHING AND NOTHING!!
    'Dat Shit is Da Jawn" 100 millions years ago I worked in a major Hotel in Chicago,and was told by my staff in F&B(Food and Beverage). Vera(one of my favorite employees and work Friends-still is!) told me about Jawn. She would say"Jawn means everything and nothing-Jawn is whatever the speaker wants it to mean".Vera always asked me"Are you sure you're Lower middle-class white trash from Philly cause Philly is da Jawn" She also taught me about "CPT-Colored People time,changed to Black People Time". I didn't know that one either(another story for another time).