Is Target going to bring down the neighborhood?

Discussion in 'Fairmount / Spring Garden / Francisville' started by Phillyurban8, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Phillyurban8

Phillyurban8 Well-Known Member

The parking lot is becoming increasingly trashy, their ONE trash receptacle is always overflowing and I walked by the other day and plastic was hanging out of one perimeter tree like garland.
    It's not like Target has that many shoppers but they make twice the trash Whole Foods did, which then gets deposited on the grounds.

fiveomar likes this.
  2. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Odd - how much trash can a Target be producing? Do they sell take out foods? I've never been to a Target store.

3. Politburo

Politburo Well-Known Member

Whole Foods doesn't use plastic bags. Target will gladly bag your one item so that you can drop the bag when you get outside. There is also a Starbucks.

fiveomar likes this.
  4. londoner

londoner Well-Known Member

Wow, welcome to Earth.

5. MackeyDingo

MackeyDingo REALLY Well-Known Member

Do you come in peace? Or are you just looking for competitive prices on everyday items?

eldondre and vamprye927 like this.
  6. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Oh I come in peace but I almost never shop. - They sell housewares, right? I have all I need and try to make do - I'm a lousy consumer.

DCnPhilly and vamprye927 like this.
  7. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

they also sell clothing and grocery items.
    regarding bags, it's 100% self check out

Politburo and Titus like this.
  8. Phillyurban8

Anyhow back on topic . . . . last Sunday I spent an hour trying to fish dangling plastic out of one of their trees and some kooky lady coming out of the Barnes parking lot had the audacity to ask if I were okay. Lady, this is what picking litter out of the landscape looks like. I know it's a completely foreign idea in Philly.

DCnPhilly and fiveomar like this.
  9. fiveomar

fiveomar Well-Known Member

Thanks for doing this...we need more people like you in this city.

Too many people are in their own bubble. Even on our own block, despite having pretty much all good/nice/upstanding neighbors, it's just me and one other neighbor who bother to pick up litter on our block. Our neighbors won't even pick up litter in front of their own homes; I think the mentality is that because they didn't put it there, they're not responsible to clean up.

I try to make it a habit to pick up random litter everytime I'm walking the dog.

DCnPhilly, eldondre, jester and 2 others like this.
  10. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

Thank you.

jester and Titus like this.
  11. DCnPhilly

DCnPhilly Well-Known Member

It's odd, isn't it? Some people really are in a bubble. I rent in a condo building in Callowhill, and a few months ago neighbors (owners) were passing out fliers saying how great this new brewery would be for the neighborhood. That's fine and all, but last summer I got sick of the trash along the street so I went down and started bagging it up. One of the neighbors asked me what I was going to do with the bags. She was more concerned with a few bags of trash setting on the sidewalk for a day than blown open all over the street. They're vested enough in their property to promote a new brewery, but not enough to clean up what they have right now.

There's a lot of trashy people in Philadelphia, but in Callowhill those with the weirdest ideals are the yuppies (however you want to define them). As long as they have parking at their door, as long as the closest Target or Whole Foods has a parking lot, they're not really concerned about what happens on the street between points A and B. That is until they see someone cleaning up their neighborhood, then they go on the defensive and become a busy body. I just shrugged and said "trash day's Monday. Better in a bag than on the street."

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with Target, but it's part of a trend of bigger Big Box chains entering cities. They're suburban in nature and they attract a mentality accustomed to suburban municipalities that regularly clean up their trash, or have less curbside trash to begin with. Seasoned Philadelphians by no means keep our streets clean, but it's interesting to see the clash between those of us who've grown accustomed to the muck (or pick it up ourselves) and the suburban transplants who really have no idea how to handle it.

And yes, Big Box chains produce a lot of trash, far more than the bodegas and corner stores that preceded them. Plastic bags are just a small token of the garbage they produce. We're talking hundreds of displays that come wrapped in their own boxes, product boxes full of styrofoam and plastic packaging, unsellable products that are discarded, and thousands of cardboard boxes. All of that gets amped up within the confines of urban density. Target isn't going to "bring down the neighborhood," but it does produce a lot of trash. But what I really don't like about Target is the way it cuts into the urban consumer market with its feigned liberal ideology, shutting down local businesses under the guise that Target is anything more than a Walmart with better lighting.

fiveomar and Hospitalitygirl like this.
  12. Phillyurban8

^Better lighting!?

We need to keep watch on this Target. It's going to be a problem child, I know.

13. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

Before it was target it was whole foods and before that, fresh fields. I see a good number of people walking in and out of the store. The bodega near my house generates less trash because it serves less people but it too is surrounded by trash. If you'e lucky enough to have a city issued trash can the city doesn't empty it often and it overflows. Filthadelphia predates yuppies and big box stores. The government has abandoned its city services, residents seem to have no pride. There are exceptions but it can be frustrating. You clean up and within two days it' back because nobody bags their trash properly and it breaks open on trash day

ShoshTrvls and fiveomar like this.