I am looking for a place to live in near Drexel University

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Davchun, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Davchun

Davchun New Member

I don’t know if this kind of post is allowed here but I am looking for a place to live

Incoming transfer sophomore - male, 20 years old

I’m looking to move at least before September 24th. I’m going to major in computer engineering if that means anything.

I want to see if anyone is looking for a roommate. I am clean, but my room tends to become disorganized. I will clean up, throw out the trash, do dishes, all that stuff daily but you may not like walking into my room.

I also have a 4.5 month old kitten and he is up to date on his vaccinations, dewormer, rabies shots, and is neutered. He is an ESA and I have the letter from my psychiatrist. I also use flea medicine regularly. He gets along with other cats very well, but I have no idea about dogs. He is generally really friendly though so I would imagine he’d be okay.

I am primarily looking for a house with roommates or a multi-bedroom apartment that’s not too expensive

I currently have a tour scheduled next week and I’m looking for other options just in case.

2. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

3. enyo

enyo Well-Known Member

I used the classified section of the Drexel Triangle to find a house that needed roommates when I was in your same situation. They probably have it available online these days. Not sure what the campus is like now, but staying below 40th and west of spring garden street is probably your best bet.

#3 enyo, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  4. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

5. Tartan69

Side note about Drexel housing...this is absolutely unacceptable policy by the school:

74 upper-class students displaced by incoming freshmen - The Triangle

If I were one of those students I would sue the pants off them. But typical of universities these days though...they are driven by greed and lack of any obligation to follow through on commitments. Temple's recent fudging of numbers is another example of this amoralistic behavior.

6. Elliott87

Elliott87 Well-Known Member

My son attends Drexel. He lived in a freshmen dorm for his first year (required), The Summit the second year, and off campus the last two. Part of college is about learning to grow up, and deal with adult things like renting your own apartment. Why would older students want to remain in a dorm?

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  7. OakmontGuy

OakmontGuy NE Philadelphia Proud!

So Drexel was actually doing them a favor by telling them they had a place to live and then tossing them out at the last minute? Interesting. A collegiate "tough love" course?

"This is how the real world works, youngster. We're preparing you for the real world! You should thank us for it."

Why would older students want to remain in a dorm? Well, let me see. Stability? Familiarity of surroundings? Convenience of getting to classes?

Burholme06 likes this.
  8. Elliott87

Mostly

The rules, as everyone know, is that Freshmen have to live on campus. If there is a larger than expected influx of freshmen, room must be made. The leases are for one year and I am sure if they decided to stay in a dorm, it was stated that they may have to relinquish their spot if needed.

Do you think moving out of a dorm when you are 21 or so is a good idea? There is plenty of off campus apartments that are cheaper than most of the dorms. When my son and his three room mates moved to 38th and Lancaster they got a ticket for not properly putting out their trash. Drexel was not there to help as it is a private issue. They also complained about the nuisance of getting the gas, cable and electric turned on. Their next apartment move in went much smoother as they were adults that had figured out how to handle things like this.

So yes, colleges are supposed to prepare you for the real world. You are about to enter a dog eat dog world. Stability and familiarity of surroundings are not traits that a young adult should be hanging on to. They will soon have to deal with issues like moving on from one job to another, possibly to another city or country.

9. Tartan69

I don't disagree with you in spirit...I would have done the same thing as you are doing.

However for those that chose a different path...for whatever reason...they entered into an agreement with the school for housing. To go back on that agreement less than a month before classes start is appalling.

Burholme06 likes this.
  10. Tartan69

Two points:

1. Drexel controls how many incoming freshman there are. They can cap this. They chose to instead take the money.
    2. In the real world, you pull these kinds of shenanigans in a business contract, you get sued.

Burholme06 likes this.
  11. Elliott87

Even if it is stated in the contract?

Sophomore students who completed a 2018/19 Housing Application will receive an email on Thursday, July 26 with their time ticket information. Time tickets are issued based on the completion date of the student's application. Self-Selection will take place Monday, July 30 – Tuesday, July 31, 2018.

Space is not guaranteed and active applications remaining after Self-Selection may be cancelled.

After my son finished his Freshman year the option to stay in a dorm was fully explained. We decided then to put him in the Summit, so he would remain on campus, but not in a dorm. After signing, those rooms are guaranteed.

12. Tartan69

I am of two thoughts here:

1. Yes these students are absolute morons for signing it without requiring a guarantee or at the very least a certain notice period. You and I definitely agree on this.

2. I still don't think this situation would stand up in court. As an example, I can put whatever I want into my leases but they still need to adhere to PA Landlord/Tenant law. I understand a university is a bit of different type of landlord than I am, and they are mitigating the situation somewhat by trying to find students other housing, but I bet a good lawyer could make a case that they are not upholding their end of things.

I am not a lawyer though, so would be interested to hear thoughts from those who are.

13. Politburo

Politburo Well-Known Member

Not sure what is being violated. The university would probably argue they never became a tenant. Is it fundamentally different from applying for an apartment and not getting it?

14. Tartan69

A good question...I had been under the distinct impression that the agreement was the equivalent of a signed lease and not just a submitted application. If the latter is true, then this all is indeed a moot point and the students have no one to blame but themselves.

EDIT -- in the article it states "The sophomores, pre-juniors, juniors and seniors affected had already paid their security deposit". If the school accepted these deposits, then that is pretty clearly not just an application.

#14 Tartan69, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  15. OldMama

OldMama Finally retired. Newly married. Kids are gone.

Many small, liberal arts colleges require students to live on campus all four years. It's part of their philosophy. They see the college as a community of learners who go to class together, eat together, live together. My son never had a problem with it and enjoyed it.

He did learn adult skills. He's lived in Asia for the last six years. He just moved to Taiwan for year seven and found and moved into an apartment on day 5.

16. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

So...............does anyone have any other thoughts for the OP and his housing dilemma?

17. OldMama

Not sure where you are in school. I assume it's Drexel but that's not clear. Do you have. Price you'd like to stay around?

18. Davchun

Davchun New Member

I am attending Drexel for the Fall.

I’d really like to stay around $500-600.

19. OldMama

I'm sorry, I don't know that area. My daughter is at Temple. My daughter found a place at Temple in September two years ago by walking around the area she was interested in and making a list of names and numbers on For Rent signs. One of them had many properties, not just the one she saw and she was able to rent in a three bedroom, two bath apartment for $500/month. She didn't know the other two girls but it worked out fine. She honestly thought this method worked better than the internet!

Good luck!

20. enyo

enyo Well-Known Member

If they are still around, try calling Academic Properties Inc, or look for another larger landlord that owns a lot of property. They can take you around and show you several places at once.

OldMama likes this.
  21. OldMama

Good advice. As I said, many landlords have multiple properties so note their names and numbers on signs and call.

enyo likes this.