How to Complain About PHA (Section 8 / Housing Choice Tenants)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Real Estate' started by ArcticSplash, Aug 5, 2009.

1. ArcticSplash

ArcticSplash Dixie Normus

So far the only direct way I can think of to contact PHA officials is to send a certified letter (green card) to:

Philadelphia Housing Authority
    12 South 23rd Street
    Philadelphia, PA 19103

Anybody else care to post ideas about how best to send up complaints so that PHA gets them? Do they have an email address they respond to often? Should complaints be "cross-posted" to other departments/people?

(their website sucks)

2. #1MetsFan

#1MetsFan Well-Known Member

Good luck getting PHA to respond to your complaints. Your best option might to be to move.

3. wislad

wislad Professional Skeptic

PHA takes quality of life complaints very seriously regarding their tenants. From my experience, you have to be persistent. Call repeatedly if the problems continue. Also keep a log and document all calls to PHA, including dates and times as well as the name of the person you speak with each time. If there are calls to 911, keep a record of them, also.

4. #1MetsFan

#1MetsFan Well-Known Member

Interesting. I've never encountered any PHA employee who takes anything about his or her job seriously.

fiveomar likes this.
  5. DocAwesome

DocAwesome The Doctor is In

You would think that if someone was having what is normally a person's greatest annual expense highly subsidized by public money, that the public would demand that they keep it in fan-freaking-tastic condition. I'm all for giving people trying to get a hold onto financial security better opportunities, but srsly. You continually see city councilors smiling at ribboncuttings to then leave and never have to return to that block again.
    Public Housing is a relatively easy federal match so it kind of pisses me off that there are all these **** eating grins like they saved the world, running around haphazardly pooping out section 8 districts as they go, patting themselves on the back and being dickfors.

fiveomar likes this.
  6. StrangeTanks

StrangeTanks Well-Known Member

Your talking about affordable housing developements. Completely different than the section 8 program.

Section 8 is subsidized rental housing. It was originally developed as an alternative to the highrise low income housing disasters. The idea being to distribute low income housing throughout the city.

As usual, as with most government run programs, its a complete mess full of abuse and waste.

The problem doesn't stem from the tenants for the most part. The real problem lies with the landlords. I see these guys coming in from the suburbs and making a living as the scumiest most disgusting vile and disgusting human beings I've ever seen. Making a profit on the misery of others at the expense of hard working tax payers.

7. ArcticSplash

ArcticSplash Dixie Normus

Their website does a good job of hiding the contact information. All I see is the address.

Care to post the phone numbers and the people who answer them?

8. kat-21

kat-21 Well-Known Member

I found numerous addresses for the PHA and an email address on their website:

215-684-4000

Email addr: info@pha.phila.gov

There is also a hotline:

Report Fraud, Waste & Abuse
    Phone: (215) 684 - 8300
    or
    oig@pha.phila.gov

fiveomar likes this.
  9. kat-21

kat-21 Well-Known Member

There's also the PHA Police:

Philadelphia Housing Authority