Hirst-Roger Co. Carpet Manufacturer – E Allegheny and Kensington - 1920

Discussion in 'History' started by Phillyxpat, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What attracted me to the following images in this book about how to custom upholster these new car things, many times custom creations on in their own right, in the 19-teens, was the “K & A†address, gateway to Harrowgate, and the extinct factory that later would be part of the site of the Midway Theatre. The images form a micro-industry start to finish visual of the process of making carpeting for automobiles.

Source: Motor Car Upholstering – 1920 (copyright expired) (Public Domain - U.S.)

2. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

Hirst-Roger Image - Trade Magazine Advertisement - 1898

[​IMG]

3. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

Hirst-Roger Image - Illustration - 1920

[​IMG]

4. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

Hirst-Roger Image - Carpet Process - 1

[​IMG]

5. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

Hirst-Roger Image - Carpet Process - 2

[​IMG]

6. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

Hirst-Roger Image - Carpet Process - 3

[​IMG]

7. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

Hirst-Roger Image - Carpet Process - 4

[​IMG]

8. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

Hirst-Roger Image - Carpet Process - 5

[​IMG]

9. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

Hirst-Roger Image - Carpet Process - 6

[​IMG]

10. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

Hirst-Roger Image - Carpet Process - 7

[​IMG]

11. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

Hirst-Roger Image - Carpet Process - 8

[​IMG]

12. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

13. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

14. Barbara Okes

Barbara Okes New Member

Liked the pictures of the Hirst Company. Have been searching since the late 1970's for History on the Rogers-Hirst and later Hirst-Rogers Carpet Manufacturing. I am interested because Richard Hirst is my maternal great-grandfather and my grandfather Daniel Bonner was
    V-P. Richard Hirst and Daniel Bonner raised my mother, in Richard's Philadelphia Home. Richard's wife spent most of her time with family in England, after her only living child, Daniel's wife, died of the 1918 influenza epidemic. I do know Richard was always interested in learning, In his later years he occupied himself by learning to speak and write Spanish, French and German and hiring college professors to tutor him in astronomy, astrology & advanced mathematics. He was fascinated by the advancement of transportation and the possibility of space travel intrigued him. Therefore I am searching this site for more information about his life & business in Philadelphia.
    Thank you for your research and documentation, Barbara Okes.

Phillyxpat likes this.
  15. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

So glad to hear from you, local history is most times forgotten. Got an address on that Philadelphia home out of curiosity,

16. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

17. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

Richard "Dick" Hirst 1856 -1941

Find a Grave:

Spelling in Cemetery record: "Hurst"
    Wife: Emily Elizabeth Horsefield Hirst
    Mother: Hannah Dranesfield (Dransfield)b.abt 1821 Eng, d. abt 1859 England
    Father: James Hirst b.Jan 13,1821 Eng, d.Oct 12, 1872 PA, USA
    Richard was one of 12 children of James Hirst.
    Richard had 4 daughters, only 1 lived to adult.
    Direcor of First Pennsylvania Bank and Owner & President of Hirst-Rogers Carpet Company on Allegany & Kensington Aves. Philadelphia PA, estab.1884.

18. Barbara Okes

Barbara Okes New Member

Richard's petition for Citizenship filed Nov 2, 1868 only says Pottsville, Pennsylvania as residence. I do not have actual date of Citizenship granted. but I am sure it must have been before he returned to England to 'Study' the Textile trade and "Woollen Industry" in Batley , Yorkshire, England. He married in Dewsbury, Batley Carr, West Riding, Yorkshire, England August 1879. He returned to Pennsylvania 1880 with his wife. They had 4 daughters, 3 died before age of 3 for various reasons, (stillbirth, a fall, and illness). Eleanor lived to adult age, married in her late 30's, as she had been her mother's traveling companion. I only have 2 exact addresses First being lower 16th Street house - 3117 North 16 th Street, and home address at time of his death was 5223 North 16th Street, Philadelphia. This is the home where my mother grew up. Basically raised by grandfather Richard, father Daniel Butler Bonner and house staff. Eleanor Hirst Bonner died about 1 year after my mother's birth - Influenza epidemic of 1918-1920. Richard's wife, Emily was bitterly angry because all 4 of her children had died, she was not going to raise a grandchild. So she went about her thing and traveled with "Her Lady Friend's " and had a residence in Maine in 2 census records. Richard also owned a house on Press Avenue & Filbert Street in Browns Mills, New Jersey. He had this house built about 1900-1910. Thank you for the newspaper article about him. This documents family verbal stories and tells me about his childhood and probably why he was not close to his 'American relatives' and traveled to England frequently.
    Do you know if there was only one publication of the book about Upholstering Automobiles? Do you know if he published any other books?
    Also, Richard Hirst was a Director of Kensington Bank and Trust Co. for 28 years.
    If you come across any other information on the factory, Richard Hirst, wife Emily Elizabeth, or Son-in-Law, Daniel Butler Bonner, I am very interested any little details that are available.

19. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

ZARK likes this.
  20. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

Ran into the Hirst Roger book looking for things related to address which is the Midway Theater that I knew from my youth. Nothing else on Internet, though other hard copy books may exist that have not been scanned into Internet.

The 5223 N 16th street house looks humble as in a row house on Google Map. The 3117 N 16th Street house not there but the Victorian duplexes across the street would suggest an upper middle class neighborhood in its day. Big House and lots of land.

The image below of the Kensington Trust Company is from 1915. I think that there have been three separate bank buildings over the ages, each bigger that the previous ones, on the same spot. Good to have a line of credit at a local bank to run a big factory etc. The false reference to Richard Hirst being a Director of First Pennsylvania Bank in Find A Grave info I think a fact that the present Bank Building was for the longest time a First Pennsylvania Bank. But have no idea if Kensington Trust was bought out, merged etc with1st Pennsy etc.

If I were you I would preserve any family photos you have regarding your family history should you ever publish a family history, family tree etc. In light of future generations, do a light pencil description on back of photos if such a scribing will not harm or damage image side of photo.

Overall, will keep an eye out if I spot anything else related to this matter.

[​IMG]

#20 Phillyxpat, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  21. Barbara Okes

Barbara Okes New Member

22. Barbara Okes

Barbara Okes New Member

The only document I have on the Kensington Bank is a thank you letter on letterhead for 27 years of service. It was "taken over at some point by First Pennsylvania because that is who held Richard's trust for his wife, Son-in-law and granddaughter. My sister and I met with First Pennsylvania representative , about 1985-86. We were advised about how the trust works and Pennsylvania laws of which the estate was bound to. Like if we predeceased our mother and did not have a will, the State of Pennsylvania would take the funds. Within about a year or two, the bank changed hands, and changed several more times prior to mother's death in 2002.
    Interesting about the houses. Mrs. Hirst wanted to move from 3117 N, 16th Street home to the 5223 N. 16th Street because it was 'A socially more acceptable community'. Richard saw no need to move, but she wanted to be on the social rise. Richard wanted to keep his
    life private, because if you have money, family wants to help you spend it and so does everyone else. He enjoyed anonymously supporting projects like parks, Boy & Girl scouts, helping a town rebuild it's auditorium, Grants to medical students to complete medical degrees, Grants to Nursing Students, Shriner's and probably many more things I will never know about.

ZARK and Phillyxpat like this.
  23. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

There is a subtle Quaker subculture in Philly or used to be that you lived very humbly and did not try to outshine your father's wealth and or status. Had relatives very well to do that lived in modest housing there. I would think that the move to 5223 N 16th a place easier to maintain as one grows older and the changing racial nature of North Philly I would see as a possible reason for someone to leave 3117. The house in Burlington county NJ no doubt probably a weekend or summer place etc. Nice to hear about your ancestor's management of wealth included individual acts of charity.

ZARK likes this.