Hardwood Flooring Installation Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Home / Garden / Outdoors' started by GXE, Sep 10, 2016.

1. GXE

GXE New Member

I'd like to convert the 2nd floor and staircase of my row home to match the hardwood floor of the first floor. I know there are a lot of variables that can affect the price, but can anyone ballpark this for me? Should this be a $1500 job? $10,000? I'm trying to understand a little of the budget involved so I don't waste anyone's time providing onsite quotes that I just couldn't do.

Also, can anyone recommend anyone? I've not had to hire any work like this before so all I know is Empire Today. ;)

2. paul100

paul100 Well-Known Member

There is no way for anyone to give you a price. There are so many variables. What size is the stair case, what species is the wood, how many square feet, what has to be removed. Does the second floor already have the hardwood and maybe just covered in carpet? You really need to find a company to come out and give you an estimate.

3. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

Without knowing square footage and cost of the material, but given that you are looking at an entire floor plus a staircase, I'm guessing that you are looking at something closer to $5000+ than you are at $1500. You probably can't get decent carpet for that kind of space for less than $2k.

4. GXE

GXE New Member

Thank you for the rough estimate. This helps me understand a little more what price range I need to plan on and consider.

Next step is recommendations for a carpenter. :)

5. billy ross

billy ross Well-Known Member

Typically you wouldn't replace the treads on a staircase. If they're oak they'll refinish fine. If they're pine they may still refinish ok. If the risers are oak they'll refinish fine. If the risers are pine you can either refinish them or paint them. What year was your house built?

Do you have strip oak on the first floor? If so it'll be top nailed - nails will be visible. Typically the boards are 5/16 thick x 2 1/4 wide. They're pretty easy to reproduce. If you have a pattern or feature strip downstairs I highly recommend reproducing it upstairs also. Some quick googling yielded this:

Tips for Top-Nailed 5/16-Inch Floors - Hardwood Floors Magazine