Greater Philly mall thread: The good, the bad, and the dead.

Discussion in 'The Suburbs' started by Nytecat, Mar 8, 2016.

1. dontforget

dontforget Well-Known Member

Could Dillard's make a go at King of Prussia? The mall leans towards expensive/upscale and that apparently is Dillard's target market. It'd land in the top mall in the region. At this point, if it wanted to, it could enter the Philly market without the issue of lack of suitable sites.

2. Nytecat

Nytecat Well-Known Member

How expensive is Dillard's supposed to be? More than Macy's and Penney's but less than Nordstrom and Bloomies? Definitely less than Neiman Marcus and their legendary cookie recipe. :p Dillards would surely be welcome at KOP. Unfortunately, they don't have locations north of Virginia and east of Ohio. A new distribution center serving several locations would be needed for Dillard's to come here, right?

3. dontforget

^ In terms of being expensive, I think they are considered more than macy's or maybe on par.

Simon at King of Prussia shouldn't have a hard time filling KoP space so it might not want another dept. store. I agree with you that JCPenney is now a risky tenant. Plymouth Meeting's land value is more than what a JCP can offer as well. Although PREIT probably will just do restaurant/entertainment complex in fill, it would be interesting for Plymouth Meeting to get a new hotel and the mall configured with access. Hotel room rates are high on that side west of PHL, that demand is likely exceeding supply of rooms.

Neshaminy's land value likely isn't as high but a JCP wouldn't make sense anyways with Oxford Valley and Cherry Hill.

I'm still a little surprised, that if JCP can't make King of Prussia work or doesn't want to change things to make it work there, how do they survive long term?

4. Nytecat

Does JCPenney own or lease at King of Prussia? If they lease, I can see them being priced out. That’s an increasingly likely outcome for JCP at trophy malls like this. If they own, I guess they feel the net income from a sale exceeds keeping it as an ongoing concern. It's still hard to believe they’re leaving a mall where everybody seems to want a piece of the action.

I was at the Plymouth Meeting Macy’s yesterday to watch its last shoppers leave with display tables and fixtures. The third floor was once again closed and pickings were very slim. The only traditional merchandise still on hand were deeply discounted area rugs. PREIT already has new directories in the mall with Macy's omitted. Besides Macy’s, Uncle Julio’s recently closed and Footlocker has reduced their footprint, closing the LadyFootlocker section. Barring major changes to the mall, which PREIT has hinted at, I still like Uncle Julio’s design although it’s only fitting for Mexican and Southwest themed restaurants. Finally, they're adding a badly needed new staircase to replace the one displaced by LEGOLAND.

After the PMM, Neshaminy, and Voorhees Macy’s locations close, are any of these old-school Strawbridge & Clothier anchors still occupied? I’d like to see at least one of them survive as a testament to S&C.

5. dontforget

I was looking around and it might be JCP had a 25 year lease that was up. Apparently the building was once Gimbels, then Stern's prior.
    Gimbel's/ Stern's/ JCPenney - King of Prussia, PA
    J.C. Penney gets modern makeover at The Plaza at King of Prussia Mall

Probably rent has gone up. The land owner might get more value, back if sold or operated by Simon, for more mall space or other use.

In terms of sales, there is no way JCPenney in Century III mall, a dying mall in Pittsburgh, where JCPenney will stay open can do better in sales than the store in King of Prussia. On the other hand, JCPenney can't make enough sales/profit in King of Prussia to cover the higher rent going forward there.

I suppose Montgomery will have to cover the loss. From Exton area, it's quite a hike to reach a JCP.

Then again, Burlington, which is doing well, and some other stores have light or nonexistant coverage starting at Plymouth Meeting and heading west.

6. dontforget

At Neshaminy, would it be sensible for Boscov's to relocate to the Macy's anchor location? I know it's costly to move, and maybe unlikely, but it appears that the Macy's site is better positioned. It's closer to the Route 1 exchange, and more central in the mall, while Boscov branches off in it's own small wing. From wikipedia, it appears Macy's site opened in 1968 as S&C, while Boscov's site was originally Lit Bros., opened in 1974. Typically original tenants have prime positions. I will check out the mall again this week for a closer look, but I'm thinking the macy's site is better in position already.

If that happened, the existing Boscov's could be razed and the mall could be downsized or right-sized, with possibly some of that wing closed. Other use for the land might be possible afterwards.

In general, I'm curious what GGP's plans are for the mall. Unlike PREIT that has been finding new tenants and redeveloping parts of Moorestown and Plymouth Meeting, GGP hasn't put much if any investment in Neshaminy over the years. It's mostly neglected, and not strategic to own in any sense, unlike Christiana which is strong and destinational, and is the power mall of it's area. The Neshaminy Mall also is close to Philadelphia Mills and Oxford Valley, coincidentally both Simon owned malls, which have some appeal over it.

#186 dontforget, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  7. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

8. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

What a weird, strange. world.

9. Nytecat

I think most traffic that goes to the mall enters on the east side so visitors currently see Boscov's on the way in. The only part of the mall that seems truly hidden is the wing with the movie theater. GGP hasn't invested much in Neshaminy but then they haven't needed to either. Losing Macy's will probably force them to decide whether to make upgrades to the mall or unload it.

Century III is one of my favorite dead malls currently. It's gotten a lot of coverage on Youtube and its days definitely look numbered, even with JCP staying for now.

And another one bites the dust. -_-

This is the first public admission from Sears that they’re not going to survive. I didn’t think it would come until July or August. That’s when a two-year waiting period on declaring bankruptcy is up. The end of Sears is near

I’ve known since 2014 that Sears Holdings could no longer be saved. It's amazing they've lasted this long. The recent sale of Craftsman should buy them a little more time, but not much. My most recent thinking was they’d phase out the rest of Kmart this year and then shut down the remaining Sears locations in 2018. But now I’m wondering if they’ll make it that far.

Please excuse the bold letters. My computer is being screwy today. :p

10. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

Funny you should mention that. If they do go into bankruptcy, they may be forced to unwind the already-consumated Craftsman deal. That would be a fine mess.

Sears' $900M sale of Craftsman to Stanley Black & Decker 'voidable'? | USAToday

11. dontforget

So, I visited Neshaminy today and I have to say it's interesting. In my opinion, Sears has the best spot as it's what the eye sees when coming into the mall area and it has the best highway visibility. Yet, when going into the Sears, it was dead as ever - devoid of customers.

The macy's has closed but it's signage was still up.

I drove fully around the mall and parked by the Boscov's. It was busy and like a typical Boscov experience. The outside appearance of the store was dowdy. And, this store felt all the way in the back.

So my opinion now is Sears has the best spot but makes nothing of it.

The most upscale touch to the mall is the Barnes & Noble. Barnes & Noble tends to have demographic standards before it opens some place. Somehow Barnes & Noble came to Neshaminy and is by the Sears side but it is on the front of the mall with good visibility. Inside, the Sears side also makes way to the AMC corridor.

With Sears possibly to be in closure, Neshaminy & Oxford Valley will definitely be interesting to watch as Sears services both malls and both malls already have atleast one vacant anchor.

I could see it sensible for Boscov to relocate to Sears Neshaminy spot, but it's costly. And if the current store is doing well in business, why bother and for Neshaminy of all places.

What's troubling though is Neshaminy is sandwiched between better malls and the demographics are mixed with blue collar orientation. There are nice homes owned by upper income individuals/families though by the Neshaminy Mall. Perhaps a Trader Joes could take a spot where Macy's is currently located, if it's demolished.

At Oxford Valley, Sears has a central spot, but I don't see Boscov interested. It might want the Neshaminy market, while Macy's/JCP have Oxford Valley, but both malls will have challenges in that arrangement, rather than let one survive and the other mall die off.

#192 dontforget, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  12. Nytecat

If that happens it would be a damn shame.

I wish I knew what GGP was thinking at this point. Their own website says the mall hasn't been upgraded since 1998. That's almost two decades ago, an eternity in the mall industry. They can't put off the decision to invest or divest too much longer.

At the risk of sounding politically incorrect, many white people prefer Neshaminy over the "unsafe" Philadelphia Mills. In the latest incident, just after Christmas, a teenage attack mob tried to storm the mall but they were largely thwarted by police and mall security. But the news only serves to heighten long standing notions about how "ghetto" Mills is.

13. Nytecat

Schuylkill Mall: 1980-2017.

We haven't gotten the official word yet but the writing is on the wall for the mall just outside Frackville.

Fleeing tenants turn Schuylkill Mall into a ghost town

That's too bad. I was hoping Schuylkill would end up like some other dead malls which have been successfully repurposed while retaining key inside and outside elements. No such luck here. Also the movie theater is brand new.

14. dontforget

Likely it's waiting for Sears' death much like PREIT atleast in Moorestown.

Even though it seems Neshaminy is awkwardly set up (to me) and up to 2 front anchors that will be closed, and it has likely more limited customer base leaning white blue collar, and the challenges of being a mall sandwiched between a more upscale mall (Oxford Valley) and area to the north: Newton, to a mall not too far in another direction that attracts the bigger crowds and black people (Philadelphia Mills), I believe Neshaminy has more potential as a retail complex, than say Burlington or Voorhees Town Center. Basically, the complex should have value even though it's underutilized. It would be a triumph to get Wegmans there, and I think possible.

The AMC and Boscov's are just so strange to me in the back of the center as the possible surviving anchors, while the front facing anchors will close. A design will have to ultimately accommodate the surviving anchors. The mall isn't dying yet either so many disruptions would occur and some tenants if offered an option to relocate or break lease, might just decide to close shop in the mall.

#195 dontforget, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  15. Nytecat

It is a strange situation right now. Besides Sears' impending doom, GGP may be waiting for the current upheaval in retail to play out a bit longer before deciding how to proceed with Neshaminy. My biggest fear is that what had been a three mall market in the area is quickly devolving into a two mall market. Simon has differentiated Philadelphia Mills (high volume discount and outlet) and Oxford Valley (traditional mall with a few higher end stores). What does this leave for Neshaminy? For the last decade or two, they've pretty much survived on customers who found Franklin Mills to be unappealing. But with the current shifts in the business, that may not be enough in the future.

In general, national landlords keep malls like Oxford Valley and Neshaminy in their portfolio to invest the proceeds in other higher end malls. These second tier malls are usually neglected until they're no longer profitable and then unceremoniously dumped. The biggest difference? OVM is convenient to affluent townships in Bucks County while Neshaminy is not. That may well decide these malls' respective fates.

Neshaminy needs something special to turn the odds in their favor. Something like wegmans, as you suggested, would be a big help.

#196 Nytecat, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  16. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

Nothing says success like a King of Prussia spot | Philly.com

#197 Jayfar, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  17. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

Can Legos save Plymouth Meeting Mall? | Philly.com

#198 Jayfar, Apr 1, 2017
  18. dontforget

macy's has closed in Moorestown Mall as well, but it left it's signage up. Very odd that it hasn't taken it's name down from the building yet.

I was also wondering if Lord & Taylor could expand their store to where the water fountain is currently located. Excess space could be re-allocated. Basically, within the mall, it would make the store more visible at one end of the mall. If one comes out of Boscov, and looks straight, he/she will see macy's signage but the store is closed and might not know there is another anchor tucked on the side. Given, it's now Moorestown's premier anchor tenant, it should be more visible.

Demolish the macy's building. Extend Lord & Taylor so that it becomes the end of the corridor in the mall, make the new H&M common space for walkway, and move H&M to the Eastern Mountain Sports site (which has an external entrance). A few smaller tenants would have to be shifted. Obviously, pay the relocation costs for H&M and the smaller tenants, but I think it'd be a win-win for Lord & Taylor and H&M and PREIT.

Moorestown Mall | Directory | Moorestown, NJ | Philadelphia, PA
    Click the View Map

I guess PREIT will wait for a bit for Sears to announce closure, before coming up with a comprehensive redevelopment plan at Moorestown. I'm just curious and impatient. :) Likely it'd be too expensive for Lord & Taylor to relocate to say macy's space or sears's space, but extending the store might be more pragmatic.

I really hope it's not more restaurants in the end, as there seems to be abundance of those between Cherry Hill and Moorestown malls.

#199 dontforget, Apr 1, 2017
  19. Nytecat

Wow, this thread is getting lively again. :)

King of Prussia is King of Prussia. It's one thing to have a dominant mall. It's another to have one so predominant that it weakens the three malls closest to it, namely Plymouth Meeting, Montgomery, and Exton Square. The next two closest malls, Willow Grove and Springfield, are thriving and surviving respectively. Even with their shortcomings, I think Simon made a mistake by not retaining JCPenney. There is still a lot of unused space in the connector. But that 98 percent occupancy rate may include unoccupied space under lease by tenants that are either coming or going.

Three things almost every top tier mall has: A luxury anchor (Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's, etc.), an Apple Store, and a destination restaurant (Cheesecake Factory or similar). The five malls in our region which feature this trifecta are Cherry Hill, Christiana, King of Prussia, Quaker Bridge, and Willow Grove. Moorestown has L&T and that restaurant row. Collectively could they be a Cheesecake caliber draw? But Moorestown has no Apple Store and no chance of getting one with Cherry Hill and Sagemore so close. Whatever PREIT does, please don't add to the restaurants but bringing them further into the mall to make a more compact, livelier space might be the ticket.

And a brief note on Voorhees Town Center. I watched them close Macy's down last Sunday. It was mostly just employees standing around saying their goodbyes. It was so slow and dead they actually closed the doors an hour early. Finally, Qdoba, Chick Fil A, and Auntie Anne's all pulled out. That surprised me because two of them had highly visible spots at the food court entrance.

20. dontforget

I thought Montgomery was getting by ok?

Wow, Voorhees Town Center foodcourt is dying fast. Maybe all three had an exit clause in their lease or all their leases were up at the same time? Very strange but it's understandable. Chick Fil A was likely a big draw as well, although another location is off White Horse Rd. in Voorhees.

I really wonder about Boscov's future in the mall. It's close enough to Moorestown to the north and Deptford to the south, where it operates stores. While it might get some former VTC macy's business, the mall die off will hurt them too. Long term it might make more sense for Boscov to open another store elsewhere, in a region atleast 15 miles from another store and near highways, and it can shift resources around.

I went to Cherry Hill Mall recently, and noticed a few things. Apparently, Banana Republic has moved into the Aeropostale site (notably a site with very high signage). Banana Republic for a long time operated in the macy's wing. Modell's is gone. They were in the mall for a very long time (atleast 10+ years) and have moved to Garden State Pavilions plaza. Modell's operated by JCPenney, and I wonder if PREIT will lure something better there. It'd be a triumph if PREIT could lure Primark by the JCPenney wing, but I don't know how it would be possible at this point, unless Old Navy gets shifted somewhere.

That side of the mall is likely a lot lower rent. An old Home Depot site in Cherry Hill was subdivided for Modell's, Burlington and Sears Outlet.

bebe is still open and had no store closing signage but it should close (as news sites are mentioning it's demise). uniqlo apparently closed as well, but they had a very short life in the mall. Tilly's was another store I recall that seemed to open and close immediately. Tilly's is still in Deptford and Hamilton Mall. I think it's always interesting when a store closes in Cherry Hill Mall, but remains open in Deptford Mall. CH Mall rent is way too high for the tenant. Sadly, Moorestown Mall space isn't made desirable (even though it has Lord & Taylor) and parts of CH Mall aren't either, so the tenant only operates in Deptford.

Also interesting was a Dunkin Donuts opening up in the main corridor. This is the first time I've seen Dunkin Donuts operate in a PREIT mall, and this must be the 40th Dunkin Donuts to operate in Cherry Hill Township.

It appears that PREIT is adding eateries by the macy's wing. Starbucks must also have some long term agreement to operate within the macy's and might be prohibited from opening elsewhere in the mall.

Lastly, the Bistro, a staple in the mall, seemed busy, but apparently it's in bankruptcy too:
    http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/news/local/2017/03/31/bistro-cherry-hill-mall/99869768/

#201 dontforget, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  21. Nytecat

According to Simon’s website, Montgomery Mall currently has 18 vacancies. Three of them are clustered together possibly to entice a larger retailer. Montgomery is healthier than Plymouth and Exton but still seems to be underperforming for no apparent reason but its proximity to KOP. To their credit, Simon managed to acquire and retain Uniqlo even though they’ve closed stores elsewhere including Cherry Hill.

Smaller department store chains like Dillards, Belk, and Boscov’s seem to be taking the current downturn better than the Big Three. One exception is Bon-Ton and its subsidiaries. They’re in bad shape and may be second worst only to Sears. This news has flown under the radar because they don’t operate nationwide. https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/04/01/is-bon-ton-stores-headed-for-bankruptcy.aspx Back to Boscov’s, I agree they will have to close some stores eventually and VTC is an obvious candidate for the chopping block. By that time, the mall’s transition to non-retail use will be nearly complete.

Thanks for noting the Cherry Hill changes. Modell’s is closing a lot of stores now. All sports chains except for Dick’s are massively downsizing and someday Dick’s may have to cut back too. And I'm sad to read that Cherry Hill’s Bistro might be on the way out. It’s such a tremendous throwback to CHM’s early days.

22. Nytecat

Because of work I couldn’t make the grand opening ceremony at Plymouth Meeting’s Legoland Discovery Center on Thursday. Instead, I did the next best thing and paid a visit on the attraction’s first Saturday. The line stretched down to the elevator at the mall’s mid-point. In plain English, it was long! The carousel was also very busy. Unfortunately, the Easter Bunny was at the other end of the mall and he looked very lonely. They also printed a bunch of colorful new directory brochures that emphasizes all the places they have for food and fun. Other than the conspicuously blank space where Macy’s used to be, it looks pretty good. Speaking of Macy’s, all signage has been removed and the windows and doors are covered over. Also, the medical offices near Boscov’s are vacant as well.

Unlike other recent PMM projects, LDC actually brings visitors inside the mall. The property will be particularly attractive for children’s stores. It will also raise foot traffic overall which should help all tenants. But besides the creation of a Kids’ Korner cluster of stores, it’s hard to predict what the long term benefit will be. The other eight American shopping centers with an LDC view it as an added attraction. Plymouth Meeting is the only one pinning its future as an enclosed mall on it. Let’s hope it works.

23. dontforget

I had a chance to visit the new Modell's in Cherry Hill yesterday evening. Store was nice and new and well laid out. I was the only customer inside, though. Modell's did have a brief stint in East Gate Square in Mt. Laurel tucked in a ShopRite plaza of the center, where CompUSA was once located. The store didn't last long at all. I'm not too surprised and the center has Dick's as well, in a better spot.

In Cherry Hill, this new Modell's is also quite close to the Dick's Sporting Goods store of Cherry Hill. However, the Garden State Pavilions center where Modell's is located, west of the train tracks, attracts a lot of Pennsauken/Camden urban customers. Let's see how Modell's does, but being near Dick's doesn't help in my view. It might work for PC Richard & Son to be close to Best Buy as for comparison shopping traffic, but maybe not for sports stores the size of Modell's to be so close to Dick's.

Modell's has a longstanding store in Berlin NJ, and that town is blue collar.

I would think they would do well in Marlton in the former Borders space, across the successful Promenade and in the Marlton 73 corridor of retail, where there is no Dick's in the township, more disposable income than Berlin or the far west side of Cherry Hill, and a Club Metro USA gym in the center. I'd assume some who frequent the gym would be athletic and inclined to check Modell's out to pick up items. But I guess Modell's site selection goes by different criteria.

#204 dontforget, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  24. Shadowbat

Shadowbat Well-Known Member

25. Nytecat

Here is a PREIT quarterly report from 2006. Page 12 ranks their malls by performance. While most are in the same approximate order as today, there were a few surprises. For instance, the Gallery and Moorestown were top ten malls at the time. At the other end of the spectrum, Plymouth Meeting was in the bottom ten with malls PREIT has since sold. The Schuykill Mall came in dead last just behind Echelon with its incredible 70.8% vacancy rate.

https://investors.preit.com/files/doc_financials/quarterly/2006/q3/9.30.06.pdf

DF, you’ve nicely much summed up the disconnect between east and west sides of the former Garden State Park. One is discount oriented while the other is stocked with relatively upscale tenants. The whole area, though, still feels like a woefully slow work in progress. There’s retail and some housing with a little office. The softness in the South Jersey office market has been noted elsewhere and locally it will get worse when Subaru decamps for Camden. The whole site needs to be made more pedestrian friendly with a crossing of the NJT tracks at the station.

For what it’s worth, the Modell’s at King of Prussia Mall is still open. But that doesn’t mean they plan to stay when the lease there comes up.

I find it interesting how in the early days malls had grocery stores as anchors. Later they were sent away and today they’re being welcomed back with open arms. And once again, philly dot com took the opportunity to talk about PREIT and Plymouth Meeting Mall. Somebody there must own stock or something. When I reach the end of these articles I half expect to see a disclosure statement. :p

26. dontforget

What I find interesting from the article:
    “For now, I am taking the tours, looking at everything, and being very meticulous,” he said. As deputy mayor of Voorhees, Ravitz is also helping the owner of Voorhees Town Center replace the Macy’s that closed last month.

Interestingly, ShopRite, through the same Ravitz family, was considering a spot in the Voorhees Town Center/Echelon Mall around 2006-2007 after the Wal-Mart plan was rejected. It was where the Sears was located. It was slated to be a grocer with intent of ShopRite at one point, but ended as an office building.

One reason ShopRite didn't proceed was because around the same time Wakefern and later the Ravitz family ended up acquiring the former SuperG/Stop&Shop site on 400 E Evesham Rd, Cherry Hill, NJ.

The Ravitz family of stores might consider the macy's space (of course razed down and built new). It's 3.5 miles from 400 E Evesham Road, still, but the two sites are not on the same road, township and can pull from different regions. Certainly, it might pull from another ShopRite and one not owned by Ravitz.

#207 dontforget, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  27. dontforget

28. Nytecat

Wow, I overlooked that line about Ravitz "helping" VTC replace Macy's which makes it sound like a deal is imminent or very close. It'll be interesting to see the final configuration. If they open a store there, ShopRite would want to face the mostly unused upper level parking lot. That would require either putting them on the top of a two story building or filling in what was the first floor of Macy's.

Interesting article from the Times. I'm surprised they chose BCM of all places as the dead mall for the story's purposes. I would have drawn a contrast between Short Hills and Ledgewood Mall personally. The escalators in the header aren't from BCM as those are white on the sides. The ones in the photo are silver or mirrored. Still, I like the desolate look of the food court and the view inside the walled off wing from the elephant fountain.

Rue21 just announced a list of nationwide store closings. Locally, Oxford Valley and Exton Square are on the hit list. Lehigh Valley Business Cycle: Retail News - Lehigh Valley Business Cycle In NJ, Ocean County Mall is getting the ax but Cumberland Mall and Moorestown Mall are staying open. Springfield Mall's new Rue21 will be opening soon.

#209 Nytecat, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  29. dontforget

I'd think they demolish the macy's building but the store would use the upper level parking lot. Anyways, that's a big if. The concern might be the super WalMart in Somerdale and going up against it. Also I think there is a new ShopRite of Lawnside 3.3 miles away and I'm not sure if it would marginalize that store, which is owned by Zallies, although I think of the two areas as quite different. I also think of the Evesham Rd. store pulling different customer base as well.

Regarding Rue21, it's interesting it's staying open at Moorestown. It's a new store but it's by the closed macy's.