Greater Philly mall thread: The good, the bad, and the dead.

Discussion in 'The Suburbs' started by Nytecat, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Nytecat

Nytecat Well-Known Member

Moorestown has long dealt with vacancies at the ends. Now they’re going to have a rash of empty storefronts near the well patronized center of the mall. Not good. I don’t quite understand TJX’s branding efforts here either. Orange Theory could easily take up additional storefronts if they want to. I doubt they will though.

Also in the news: PREIT’s Joe Coradino admits Exton Square’s future as a retail centered mall may be in doubt.
    Exton Square ‘doesn’t want to be a mall,’ PREIT CEO says on earnings call

2. Nytecat

3. dontforget

dontforget Well-Known Member

I always suspected rents at Plymouth and Moorestown, two B malls owned by PREIT, were likely too high that the mall didn't fill the same way as say Neshaminy or Concord Mall, two other B malls in the Philly suburbs. On the other hand, Cumberland Mall and the mall in Hagerstown seem more filled, so PREIT does likely offer lower rents in outlying regions.

As for Orange Theory at Moorestown Mall, I think it's more a boutique fitness center, so it likely wouldn't pursue more square footage.

I went to Voorhees Town Center and long time tenant Victoria's Secret is closed. It would be surprising to say the least if Victoria's Secret stayed at Voorhees Town Center but closed in Exton. (We know it closed Exton recently). Also gone was Adventureland and Payless (as mentioned). I think Super China was gone for good as well, leaving only 3 eateries in the food court, with Saladworks operating at a reduced schedule. The Verizon franchise store was closed when I went (before 8pm) but it looked like it was just closed for the day. Only LensCrafters and Bath & Body Works remain in the mall as national tenants. It'd seem to be more sensible if B&BW moved to Eagle Plaza.

Kind of dissapointing:
    JC Penney's Hamilton Mall location to close this summer

#453 dontforget, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  4. Nytecat

I’ve been preoccupied with Facebook lately for mall discussions but I do have a few things to mention here. It might have been mentioned before but just in case it hasn’t, South Jersey’s first Dave and Buster’s is coming to the Gloucester Premium Outlets. A blog named Freeway42 actually broke the news before it was officially announced. Dave and Buster's Approved For Gloucester Township - Images and Details

But Deptford Mall said the Sears is being split between Dick’s Sporting Goods and an entertainment tenant. If D&B is out, that still leaves Round One and Main Event. Round One may not want another location this close to the Gallery. But the only Main Event in our region is by Christiana Mall so opening up at Deptford probably wouldn’t cause any conflict.

5. dontforget

Thanks for the update. I suppose that is good news for Gloucester Premium Outlets, and I suppose one could say Moorestown Mall lost also in not being able to attract Dave & Busters.

I'm disappointed in the Deptford Sears redevelopment plan.

I would have rather seen a upscale/destinational wing or lifestyle center, like the Lehigh Valley Mall:
    https://www.simon.com/mall/lehigh-valley-mall/map#/

Dick's should have been considered part of a plan when JCPenney closes, not now. Perhaps Macerich figured Cherry Hill Mall is too close (although that didn't stop the Marlton Promenade), or Macerich doesn't like the demographics of the Deptford/Gloucester county area to attract upscale.

Over at Moorestown, PREIT wants to add more pad sites on the mall parking lot (by the former macy's side)
    Plan calls for more stores in Moorestown Mall parking lot

I suppose it's not a terrible idea as the parking lot is huge- although I'm still surprised PREIT hasn't procured tenants for the remaining part of the macy's building that doesn't face 38 and the Eastern Mountain Sports site. But perhaps there is more to come with residential (as hinted in articles).

#455 dontforget, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  6. Nytecat

Springfield Mall, which has weathered the retail apocalypse remarkably well so far, is in the midst of losing four stores. Crazy 8, Gymboree, Charlotte Rouse, and Hallmark are all closing. Of these, everything but Hallmark is closing do to company failures. That seems to speak to Springfield's viability as a mall, but it's small comfort as PREIT will still have to hustle to fill those spaces.

On a non-mall note, I'm also bummed out by the apparent decline playing out on South Street. Several well known stores and bars have closed in recent years. I was stunned to see the Starbucks at 4th and South had closed (in late 2018). Not a huge loss as there's a Dunkin Donuts and some non-chain coffee shops. But then I learned that Jon's Bar and Grille, famous for its tribute to the birthplace of Larry Fine, has also gone out of business. As a fan of the Three Stooges, I always wanted to pay Jon's a visit but I never got around to it.

#456 Nytecat, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  7. dontforget

Some Cherry Hill Mall news:
    Cherry Hill Mall plans changes for mystery tenant

Hopefully it is worth it as the North Face is being boot from its current spot to accommodate this change.

GAP also closed from Cherry Hill Mall awhile ago. It was basically a relocation from Cherry Hill Mall to Garden State Park even though GAP didn't announce it as such. Maybe less than a year of overlap and maybe abiding by lease issues though.

Over at Moorestown and East Gate Square, I noticed that Chipotle is in process of opening East Gate Square Phase II area. Phase I area already has Moe's Southwest Grill.

I've seen some very busy Chipotle sites (Old Dobbin Rd., Columbia MD is one), but I don't think the Moorestown mall one was that busy like those. Thus, I doubt it will keep both sites open as the two sites will be very close. So,
    a. I wonder if PREIT decided to not renew Chipotle in order to pursue redevelopment of that space. It is near the former Eastern Mountain Sports space. OR
    b. Chipotle decided to make the shift to save in rent costs. (It'd be ironic that MIchael's will move to the Moorestown mall from East Gate, while Chipotle does the opposite).

It's also strange that East Gate Square lost Don Pablo's and rather than East Gate Sq. ownership or management trying to find another full service Mexican restaurant (such as Plaza Azteca) to fill in, the management is encouraging more fast casual Mexican restaurant business that will compete against it.

Another point about the Deptford Mall Dick's news, the mall still has Modell's. Are there malls where both co-exist? I'd guess though Modell's will leave the mall at some point as it wants to be in big box, outdoor shopping centers anyways.

#457 dontforget, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  8. Nytecat

I can answer the last question easily. Dick’s and Modell’s have coexisted for at least a few years now at King of Prussia Mall. They’re also fairly close to each other as well in the West end.

9. dontforget

Forgot to mention but noticed a month or so ago, that Lord & Taylor has reduced its hours in some locations.

In Moorestown, on Mondays, it will be open 11-7pm, Tues and Wed to 8pm. However, some weeks it has extended hours, with 'Friends & Family'. The 7pm Monday closure will be kind of early, especially during daylight savings time and since the rest of the mall is still open another two hours.

10. Nytecat

We're still waiting for 9 of the 10 L&T closings announced last year to be revealed. Odds are Moorestown is one of the victims but we shall see.

Another long time Granite Run Mall tenant has returned to the Promenade. Modell's latest ad in the Metro is touting this location. The funny thing is, I recall similar ads in early 2015 saying the GRM store was "still" open.

On Youtube, Raw & Real Retail continues to post videos of area malls, with Quaker Bridge being their latest. Faded Commerce also has several Philly malls in the pipeline including Plymouth Meeting, Exton, and Oxford Valley.

Oh, and PREIT announced that Yard House will be opening at Willow Grove. I used to think that was to close to KOP for another Yard House but apparently not.

#460 Nytecat, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  11. dontforget

3 L&Ts already closed: flagship in Manhattan, Monmouth Mall and one in Oakbrook Center (Chicago). It does leave up to 7 more (from the announcement of 10) but I thought L&T would have closed more in the winter that just passed, if it was following through. Moorestown's viability certainly isn't solid though, but maybe benefited when the macy's adjacent to it closed that it gets some new business. Less direct competition next to it, but I just don't know how reduced hours will be competitive, since the Cherry Hill-Moorestown-Marlton suburbs have a lot of other stores, most open to about 9pm. Nordstrom on the higher end closes at 9:30pm, while Kohl's closes at 10pm.

#461 dontforget, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  12. Nytecat

Oh yeah. I somehow forgot about the Oakbrook store closing and I guess Monmouth slipped under my radar.

Back to Yard House for a minute, I thought they also had plans for a Center City location. But maybe I got them mentally mixed up with Iron Hill Brewery.

13. dontforget

I'm still surprised that macy's hasn't pursued a site in Park City Center Mall in Lancaster. I think it would be in good position in negotiations, if both the Sears and Bon Ton sites have no lined up replacement, where Brookfield would be more desperate to fill one of them sooner than later.

However, with a couple of subpar malls in our area, I wonder if macy's might consider closing and selling Exton Square and maybe Oxford Valley eventually, and maybe not necessarily for under performance. I think the general area of the Exton mall and OVM is nice in both cases, and wonder if the potential for something else is worth more than existing improvements of the mall.

At Exton, it seems the gravity is that locals head to King of Prussia anyways, where macy's has both macy's and bloomingdales. macy's being a central most anchor at Exton though means the mall is too coupled to it.

At OVM, there is Quakerbridge and Willow Grove not too far off, and maybe I'm crazy to expect them to reconsider Neshaminy again if it sold OVM. I suppose macys would have to be offered with a sweet deal in any of those cases.

14. dontforget

Although not directly related to any mall here, Office Depot/Office Max is in process of exiting out of South Jersey. It appears to be staying in the PA side of the Philly market.

It will leave its two locations (Office Depot-Voorhees, Office Max-Burlington Twp.). For the Voorhees/Echelon store, a long time ago it was Acme's original location. I think the closures are more related to that chain not having the economies of scale to be in South Jersey than a failure on those sites per se. Staples has numerous stores around. The Echelon site is a corner site, and a pretty decent space for another retailer.

15. Nytecat

Oxford Valley still has some fight in it but my main concern right now is the shaky ground JCP is on. They still have a smattering of higher quality stores like Coach and Swarovski though others like Williams Sonoma and Banana Republic have fled in recent years. Area malls that have a Macy's tend to be the healthiest although Exton is becoming an exception to that trend. Simon outlined a number of projects to upgrade several malls in their portfolio, mainly by redeveloping empty anchor spaces. Oxford Valley, of course, was not mentioned.

I've been to the Burlington Office Max as it's near the Burlington Center Mall. I'm sure the landlord will just lease the space to someone else. But I'd like consideration to be given to demolishing it and making the shopping center more pedestrian friendly with a path to the movie theater and other new businesses. This should be the focal point of retail and community activity with the mall out of commission. As far as I know, no timetable for razing the mall has been released yet.

16. dontforget

duplicate. see below.

#466 dontforget, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  17. dontforget

That center in Burlington is Towne Crossing:
    Burlington Twp.'s Towne Crossing shopping complex sold for $13.5M
    It's unclear if the center includes the United Artists theater as well. If it doesn't, the center owner will have less incentive to increase walkability to the theaters.

My cousin, a teenager who lives in Burlington Twp, goes to Starbucks and that's center with it.. Apparently the Target has a Starbucks in it too. She once was wondering why Chipotle didn't have a site anywhere near. A combo with Chipotle and Panera would be pretty popular (especially with high school kids and college students) although the center owner like you said, would probably just fill the site with one tenant, than carve it for food eateries and an alternate walkable path to the movie theater.

One example where different land owners gets in the way of more continuous experience:
    The Moorestown Mall and East Gate Square, under different owners, results with no direct access from the Floor & Decor and Old Navy side of East Gate Sq to the Moorestown Mall Mall Link road.

18. Nytecat

Getting different landlords to cooperate is tough unless there’s a clear opportunity for both of them to profit. It would fall on the township to make it worth their while if they’re serious about creating some kind of town center. Thinking of East Gate and Moorestown for a moment, I imagine there’s some pedestrian traffic between Barnes & Noble and the mall. I’ve done it myself.

And apparently it will be Round 1 coming to Deptford Mall. https://www.42freeway.com/round-1-e...in-2020-bowling-arcade-karaoke-food-and-beer/

19. dontforget

I finally made it up to Phillipsburg Mall in northwest NJ/outskirts of Lehigh Valley. The inside reminds me of how Hunt Valley Mall was before it closed and redeveloped, although that was two level. It’s also in a semi rural area. I wonder if Kohl’s will seal up its mall entrance with little mall traffic and stores. There is a Golds Gym and Black Rose Antique store in the mall as larger tenants, Bath and Body works, GNC but mainly the mall is dead. I saw a couple of YouTube videos (Chambersburg Pa dead mall) that panned the antique store. It’s like a garage sale as a store in my opinion. There are new luxury apartments being built in the adjacent lot to the Philipsburg mall. Wegmans might be a good tenant to try to replace most of that mall, and a conversion might be possible.

Hunt Valley Towne Centre is well designed lifestyle center that still has community focus of the area.

I stopped by the closing OfficeMax in Burlington today. It might be difficult transforming it for a walk path to the theaters. That area is just designed for vehicular access around the theater (although you can walk to the theaters) but everything would need to be repositioned for it to be transformed like a lifestyle center. The demographics are more blue collar. I think the Walmart Marshall’s center might have more working potential for Chipotle/Panera etc.

I think Hamilton Mall in Atlantic County would be more suitable for lifestyle center redevelopment potential once JCPenney closes. It’s not as strong as Marlton, but likely better traffic/demos than Burlington area and less competition around where Burlington county residents can shop in Mount Laurel.

#469 dontforget, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  20. Nytecat

OK, I'll have to take a closer look at the Walmart area. Maybe it does make more sense as a new township focal point.

I'm not ready to give up on Hamilton as an enclosed mall yet. I don't quite trust Macy's as this is not one of their A list stores. That being said, they're still a strong anchor for the mall. Cumberland Mall seems to be doing OK if not great even though they only have one department store, Boscov's. PREIT's scheme of subdividing the other anchors has helped keep Cumberland viable. I don't know if Hamilton's landlord is up to the task. The fact that Simon let Hamilton Mall go several years ago is a sign they had doubts about its long term future. I think it still has a shot to be something good with an indoor format but at the same time I acknowledge that there are challenges to be overcome.

One more question. Did you notice if they had to punch a hole in BCM to get Petal out? I've been wondering that but I haven't seen any footage that shows exactly how they pulled it off.

#470 Nytecat, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
  21. dontforget

Back on Hunt Valley (sorry to bring up as it's in Baltimore area), but I lived in that area for awhile so have a fondness. It's also successful redevelopment of dead mall into thriving lifestyle center, and hopefully Granite Run will experience similar future (mall to open air center, with movie theater and luxury apartments).
    New stores coming to former Sears at Hunt Valley Towne Centre

One nice thing to hear at Hunt Valley is the redevelopment of the second level of the Sears. When I went last, I saw HomeGoods and Michaels replace the first level. I thought that was it and a little disappointed, but realized it was the times and understood the second level doesn't have good highway facing visibility. But, I'm glad plans are on way to redevelop that upper level side as well.

In that way, it reminds me of the Sears at Hamilton Mall. Lower level faces highway (and should be easy to find tenants), but upper level access is more obscured. Maybe the Dicks/Round 1 combination at Deptford, will also work in Hamilton Sears space, with Round 1 assuming the second level?

I'd like Hamilton to stay partially as an enclosed mall. I really like its foodcourt, and hopefully H&M/Forever 21 as junior anchors will not leave the mall. My concern is lack of investment in the mall will lead to decline, and those tenants pulling out. I also think fully as an enclosed mall (currently) attracts a lot of teenagers but not a mixed enough group. A lifestyle hybrid with some higher tier tenants would bring an upscale element.

A concern is if H&M can pull out of Exton, it might with Hamilton as well. I'd think the carving out to lifestyle could be between the JCPenney to macy's side, after JCPenney is gone, and assuming the Sears space (both levels) can be fully released and the businesses stay open the same time as the mall hours (no closing at 8pm or earlier). Now that Amazon owns Whole Foods, it'd be interested if it could work in a redeveloped side (let's say by the macy's at Hamilton Mall) or first level Sears. The perception is that county is poor but I feel it's partially misconceived that there is no wealth around. Walmart does have a strong presence with two large Supercenters (can be viewed as a lot of competition pressure), and the big box/strip centers are mostly succeeding. But I don't think the ShopRite(s) in Atlantic county are particularly outstanding and maybe a gourmet or destination grocer would work.

But the mall is going to get worse before better, but I'm an optimist at least for this area and hopeful for redevelopment. From 2011, but really shows how more expansion was envisioned there:
    Hamilton Mall plans to expand by nearly a third

I have no idea about the BCM Petal but would be interested to know as well

#471 dontforget, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019
  22. dontforget

I finally went to the Westmont Target. It's really nice compact store while having a grocery section, CVS and Starbucks, as well as an electronics section. I'd hope Target builds more in the South Jersey and Philly suburbs as well, where possible. I was thinking that it'd be a great tenant choice for the Voorhees Town Center if the strawbridge building was demolished for new stores, as some level of grocery, pharmacy and Starbucks would fill what's missing from the lifestyle aspect of Voorhees Town Center, and it'd be complementary retail to the Boscov's.

It's technically over 1 mile from the boring White Horse Rd. Voorhees Target, but maybe too close. Although Target has two stores in Springfield PA, but rather rare for Targets to be that close, even if in this case one's a mini. When the Somers Point Kmart closes, it might be ideal as this type of format Target, as well, or Target could open these in other shore towns.

Just thought about the East Gate Square/Moorestown Mall. A mundane but practical repurpose would be conversion of the closed Don Pablos to a CVS or Walgreens with drive-thru. Those stores assume diner locations so it wouldn't be too far fetched. There is also no pharmacies like that nearby, only grocery stores with pharmacies but access isn't the same. I guess that if Crunch Fitness can go in the center, it doesn't have to be just big box stores and restaurants, as there is over representation by big box and restaurants now. That side of East Gate Sq. like you mentioned is walkable to the mall, and the mall might be getting residential spaces dependent on PREIT's plans. There is also a extended stay Homewood Suites (kind of hidden, typically forgotten) behind the Best Buy.

Also Chase Bank is looking at sites in the Philly market. It'd be interesting if it opened as outparcels in the lots of Deptford, Voorhees Town Center, and/or Moorestown mall.

#472 dontforget, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019
  23. dontforget

As expected, Chipotle moved out of the Moorestown Mall and to the Phase II area of East Gate Square. It kind of seems a waste that an inside mall access door was added after macy's closed. It'd be great if H&M just expanded or reconfigured, and got a outside to parking lot direct access.

Lord & Taylor is renovating a small section inside. I kind of wonder why L&T uses the second floor still. The second floor is somewhat disconnected/isolated from the rest of the mall, as there is no outside entrance from there. Rather than reducing hours of operation (i.e. close at 7pm), it could just downsize its the footprint and keep the first floor with the best selling products, and try to lease/sublease the upper level to office or other use.

Its parent company (Hudson Bay) is open to sell the entire chain. But I could suspect if it doesn't own this building, the store might close rather than the lease being renewed. It likely isn't strong relative to the other stores in the L&T portfolio.

Will Lord & Taylor Survive Potential Sale By Parent Company Hudson's Bay? | Rockland County Business Journal

For a store with an expiring lease, closing up shop is straightforward

#473 dontforget, May 16, 2019 at 4:34 PM
    Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 4:40 PM
  24. Nytecat

L&T seems to be between a rock and a hard place. The department store sector is being squeezed so hard that their particular rung on the downscale/upscale ladder may not exist much longer. I want to think Hudson will rebrand certain L&T stores as Saks or maybe even bring Hudson Bay to the US. But if they're not interested in that and want to unload the whole portfolio, I guess the Von Maurs and Nordstroms may check out the best performing ones while the rest await repurposing as non-department stores.

I visited Neshaminy Mall yesterday and the troubled Francesca chain closed their location there. This is in addition to the doomed Crazy 8, Charlotte Rousse, and Payless stores which are now closed with signage removed. The mall overall still seems to be clinging to viability but it's greatly weakened from a few years ago. And the Dreamland traveling carnival, which otherwise appears strictly at Long Island, NY sites, is in the back of the Boscov's parking lot for their one visit to the Delaware Valley.

25. dontforget

It might be possible for L&T to sell some stores (or leases) piecemeal first, similar to the Nordstrom Providence deal to Boscov, Kmart selling stores to Home Depot (in 2004), or in the grocery space (Stop & Shop in South Jersey to Wakefern/ShopRite)

Von Maur might be a good candidate for Walden Galleria L&T Buffalo, as it operates more east out in Rochester, or Boscovs (as it added Erie just two hours south).

I'd hope Boscov would be able to scoop up more sites in Central NJ: the L&T sites in Freehold Raceway*, Quakerbridge and Bridgewater Commons. To our south, Columbia in Baltimore area. (A former L&T site is vacant in Annapolis though) *Getting in Freehold Raceway would help mitigate an issue of closure at Monmouth Mall. The three central NJ stores would be excellent pickups and strategic. Boscov could negotiate for L&T to discount the Quakerbridge site cost knowing that Sears space is empty, but bundle the three central NJ mall sites together in a grouped way. In our area, King of Prussia real estate might be expensive and Boscov's has stores around that mall.

I'm uncertain if Boscov would pursue very upscale malls and in general the Boston market, Westfarms in CT, and closer to the NYC area and Fairfield County CT, and wealthy areas closer to DC. Those areas would also be new to Boscov's. Expensive real estate and there'd be other challenges of introducing a rather unheard discount regional brand. I'd think Dillard's and Belk would at least consider the strong DC area sites of L&T as valuable. (Likely not Lakeforest Mall, but Columbia from Baltimore side)

#475 dontforget, May 18, 2019 at 12:32 PM
    Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 2:44 PM
  26. Notcom

Notcom Version 2.0

I really don't understand HBC's aversion to just merging Saks and L&T together
    Will a buyer step up for Lord & Taylor? – RetailWire
    I don't think the latter has enough brand equity anymore to survive independently, but
    I would think a 193-year heritage has some value...I would certainly hope so.

#476 Notcom, May 19, 2019 at 12:20 AM
    Last edited: May 20, 2019 at 3:04 PM
  27. dontforget

Likely a number of L&T sites aren't that strong enough to be considered to be converted or desirable enough to be grouped with other stores. I'd think Hudson's Bay has to be open to selling stores piecemeal.

For example, it has two remaining Chicagoland (Woodfield Mall, Northbrook Court*) and two and a half remaining Detroit area locations (Twelve Oaks and Lakeside and an outlet), with only one strong one in each market and another that is so-so in each of these markets. The stronger sites would be Woodfield in Chicagoland and Twelve Oaks in the Detroit area.
    Macy's sells Northbrook Court store. Now what? Kind of wonder if it might be able to sell its lease there to Target.

Just in these two markets alone, I don't think conversion to Saks would make sense for all four of these stores, and any buyer (let's say Von Maur - if Von Maur were looking at Chicago, Detroit and Buffalo) would only want the strong sites, not the weak ones. And in the case of Twelve Oaks, there is a vacant Sears site which might be able to be acquired instead.

L&T has another outlier store also in Boca Raton in South Florida. It seems like that site is in a nice area - not a traditional mall, and I wonder if it could be converted to a hotel, given the tourism popularity down there.

*( It is deals like the one referenced, that made me wonder if macy's could consider selling Oxford Valley and/or Exton Sq. for cash in our area, so that those centers could go partially residential).

In Moorestown, I think L&T most likely it owns the site. Maybe it could try to get Burlington to sublease some of the lower level, and other retailers for the rest of the lower level, while selling the building to PREIT. Burlington has stores in Marlton, Cinnaminson, Cherry Hill and Mt. Laurel - pretty much around it but all are at least four miles in different directions. Burlington's latest strategy is smaller stores, as seen with the downsizing in Marlton.

#477 dontforget, May 21, 2019 at 10:23 PM
    Last edited: May 21, 2019 at 11:02 PM