Greater Philly mall thread: The good, the bad, and the dead.

Discussion in 'The Suburbs' started by Nytecat, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Nytecat

Nytecat Well-Known Member

Eventually I’d like to see Primark at Cherry Hill Mall and the redeveloped Gallery. But despite being separated by a river and toll bridges, I don’t know if they’d go for two locations that close.

I was at Oxford Valley on Black Friday and at sunset most of the globe lights in the courtyard came on. Good to see that but this area could be so much better. Many thriving malls have an outdoor lifestyle section and this part of OVM would be perfect for that.

I’ve noticed a resemblance between Deptford and White Marsh as well. Very busy with the same anchors and a similar overall roster. They also lack the usual A mall staples like Apple and the Cheesecake Factory.

And I came across something that contradicts a claim that Neshaminy’s owner wants to keep it. They also apparently bought the Sears building well before it actually closed. This article is a year old and, again, I don’t know if the transfer to Brookfield changes anything. GGP Buys Sears Store at Philadelphia-Area Mall; Eyes Sale

2. Nytecat

Eventually I’d like to see Primark at Cherry Hill Mall and the redeveloped Gallery. But despite being separated by a river and toll bridges, I don’t know if they’d go for two locations that close.

I was at Oxford Valley on Black Friday and at sunset most of the globe lights in the courtyard came on. Good to see that but this area could be so much better. Many thriving malls have an outdoor lifestyle section and this part of OVM would be perfect for that.

I’ve noticed a resemblance between Deptford and White Marsh as well. Very busy with the same anchors and a similar overall roster. They also lack the usual A mall staples like Apple and the Cheesecake Factory.

And I came across something that contradicts a claim that Neshaminy’s owner wants to keep it. They also apparently bought the Sears building well before it actually closed. This article is a year old and, again, I don’t know if the transfer to Brookfield changes anything.

3. dontforget

dontforget Well-Known Member

One minor change at Moorestown Mall is the Subway eatery closed from the foodcourt. Before the foodcourt (dining court) renovation, it used to be located where the Brooklyn Pizza is located. Also, the Subway eatery outside the mall by the motels (Maple Shade) closed awhile back. A lot of Subways are closing in the Philly area. When I went up to Connecticut a few months ago, I would see them around more. Up there I don't think they have Wawa or an equivalent.

Also, I missed this but Trader Joes, TJMaxx/HomeGoods, Shake Shack is opening at the Garden State Park.
    Trader Joe’s, Shake Shack coming to Garden State Park site in Cherry Hill

I knew about Costco, and apparently Duluth Trading Post. On one hand, Cherry Hill (08002, 08034) along with Moorestown Mall, East Gate Square (Mt.Laurel/Moorestown) and the outlying sites in Maple Shade pretty much has every national store. I don't know how many people from Philly do it, but over the weekend, they can drive over the bridge, pretty much do all their shopping, and the lower gas price and getting filled up, might offset the bridge toll back home. So, I think Cherry Hill and the area has the convenience of everything covered.

On the other hand, I dislike the race track redevelopment in general, and I think there are too many vacant sites in Cherry Hill shopping centers that suffer when just new is built by Haddonfield Rd. TJMaxx returns to Cherry Hill, but I was thinking it'd opt for the former Toys R Us space by Walmart, but this site is there now.

I also checked out the new condos by the racetrack. Some units are for sale in new buildings but I was appalled that not all of them include garage parking. I've checked out luxury apartments/condos in different states. One expectation that I would have is some garage parking for the high cost. Either a private garage or a shared garage. Parking outside in a parking lot is going to make it feel like a glorified regular apartment rental.

4. Nytecat

Oops, here’s the article on Neshaminy Mall I meant to post before. GGP Buys Sears Store at Philadelphia-Area Mall; Eyes Sale

Century III mall continues its freefall. Supposedly there’s no Santa, decorations, or music this year. There’s maybe nine stores still open. It sounds just like Burlington Center as it was winding down operations a year ago. But there’s so many reports of mold and water damage I doubt they can keep the doors open until the sheriffs sale which Moonbeam keeps finding ways to put off.

I mainly wish Cherry Hill were more transit and pedestrian friendly. They have the potential but so far most of their developments have fallen short. But a grade crossing is supposed to go in just north of the NJT ACRL station in the future which will foster better community connectivity.

5. Nytecat