Greater Philly mall thread: The good, the bad, and the dead.

Discussion in 'The Suburbs' started by Nytecat, Mar 8, 2016.

1. dontforget

dontforget Well-Known Member

HomeSense and Sierra Trading Post to replace Macy's at Moorestown Mall - Philly

"While no definitive opening dates were given, PREIT said both stores would debut at the mall sometime this year. HomeSense will take up 25,000 square feet and Sierra Trading 18,000 square feet of what used to be a 200,000-square-foot Macy’s. At least two more tenants will use the space, spanning two levels, PREIT spokeswoman Heather Crowell said."

Both are specialty stores owned by TJX.

I wonder if PREIT can lure Marshall's and HomeGoods to join as well. Both are across Route 38 but in a shopping center without a solid anchor and traffic with it, as Kmart closed.

PREIT was also looking at a gourmet grocery store, at one point, and I think Rastelli's Market Fresh, or The Fresh Market would work well occupying some space in the macy's site. Just my ideas...

Up in Northern NJ, it was noted that the Phillipsburg Mall will lose Bon Ton, after Sears which had recently closed. This a dying mall that I would like to check out. JCPenney is also closing in Paramus, in what seems like a similar closure to King of Prussia, leaving a very high rent mall.

#301 dontforget, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  2. Nytecat

Nytecat Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks for the update on Moorestown. And now I’m very concerned about Phillipsburg Mall. You’d think that being separated from PA malls by a river might offer some advantage but that doesn’t appear to be the case.

After years of waiting, someone has finally posted a dead mall video of Voorhees Town Center on Youtube including a look inside the shuttered Macy’s. Enjoy!

3. dontforget

Thanks for that link. It had some good historical points, although it was a lengthy video. I wish it was a video capture of the mall, anytime before 1995, though, than present. :)

I wonder how the individual got into the macy's building. His preference is towards re-purposing it one day, but I can't see really how. I don't have any attachment to the actual Strawbridge and later macy's building - and believe it's path would most likely need a demolition for new development, as it's very large space to work to otherwise re-purpose.

Over at Moorestown, one small change. The Chipotle now has an enclosed mall entrance, in addition to it's external one, similar now to Plymouth Meeting. This is something that should have been made when they first opened there, and odd that the extra door is added after the mall loses macy's.

#303 dontforget, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  4. Nytecat

Yeah, it’s too bad older quality footage of Echelon doesn’t seem to exist. It continues to decline by the day. Since the start of the new year, two of the four escalators were taken out of service. One at Macy’s goes up while another at the food court goes down.

I have a hard time seeing the former Strawbridge’s buildings at Voorhees, Plymouth, and Neshaminy surviving. While some aspects like the top floor offices with windows, the escalator atriums, and unique chandeliers make them stand out, that’s probably not enough to justify their preservation. They’re all around 50 years old and received very little care since they were sold by the Strawbridge family in the 1990s. Surprisingly, it’s the Macy’s at Springfield Mall which appears to have been renovated most recently.

Finally here’s a floor plan for Echelon’s second floor from the early 2000s on Wayback Machine: http://web.archive.org/web/20051215...om:80/download/leasing/detail/leaseplan/9.pdf

5. dontforget

One of the major retailers that is growing with new store openings is Burlington (Coat Factory). It recently opened a new store in Centerton Square in Mt. Laurel, NJ - I think at the former Sports Authority site, and another is opening in Burlington Twp.

In Burlington County, it will operate 4 stores! Marlton, Cinnaminson, Mt. Laurel and eventually Burlington Twp. And it has a store in Cherry Hill. It seems like significant footprint in the overall Moorestown area. I've wondered why PREIT doesn't pursue it for Plymouth Meeting Mall - where the situation is quite the opposite, where the chain has limited presence.It does seem solid as far as a retailer, and their newer stores aren't as drab, and mall detriments, as their older ones.

6. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Burlington Stores beats Wall Street earnings estimates, stock price rises | Philly.com

7. Nytecat

I have no idea what PREIT plans for the Macy’s space at Plymouth Meeting. The condition of the building is a concern. Forman Mills seems to be the only major chain willing to move into a structure in less than ideal condition. But at this point Burlington wouldn’t be a bad choice for Plymouth if it can be done. Nice to see a chain that’s doing better than just barely holding on.

I was at Exton Square last week and they seem to be faring worse than most area malls during the retail Armageddon. Recent casualties include Gymboree, Teavana (all locations of course), Lids, and the Chico’s next to the long vacant Aeropostale. An independent leather shop is also leaving less than a year since their arrival. They may have signed a short term lease but if they’re not extending it that’s not a good sign. With the recent sale of Logan Valley Mall, Exton Square is now the weakest performer in PREIT’s portfolio.

8. dontforget

I was thinking on the lines that the old macy's at PM could be demolished or redeveloped from the main foundation only. In Hunt Valley MD, a macy's was converted to a Burlington and Dick's combination, with Burlington on the lower level and Dick's on the upper level. Plymouth Meeting area already has a Dick's presence, but there might be one or more retailers/venues PREIT could add with Burlington.

I wonder if Exton's weak performance is largely because it's so large of a mall? I thought it has more stores still than Plymouth or Moorestown. Nonetheless, I think it's a challenge and likely not easy mall for PREIT to right-size.

#308 dontforget, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  9. Nytecat

I can think of three things that might be contributing to Exton’s struggles:

1. Being barely 16 miles from King of Prussia via the 30 and 202 expressways doesn’t help.
    2. Main Street Exton has siphoned off much of the traffic and stores that might otherwise go here.
    3. The mall over-expanded in 2000. Four anchors and a total of over a million square feet was too much for a mall here.

Still, Exton Square has its strong points.

1. The food court has only one empty stall, a former Taco Bell, and is well patronized seven days a week.
    2. While not to the extent of Echelon Mall or Columbia, Maryland, Rouse tried to develop a community here and that’s evident in the popular Chester County library across the way.
    3. Exton has managed to retain a few popular stores that are usually the first to quit ailing malls including Banana Republic, Gap, PacSun, and White House Black Market.

The busiest part of the mall is between the food court and Sears. The Sears court has one of the most popular kids’ corners I’ve ever seen including a toy store, a photo studio, and a Snip Its. Most of the vacancies are concentrated in the two story southern half of the mall.

10. Nytecat

Voorhees Township is considering taking over Voorhees Town Center mall for redevelopment.

https://www.courierpostonline.com/s...-center-echelon-mall-redevelopment/463778002/

I read elsewhere that Claire’s was closing and apparently Finish Line is quitting as well. To say this place is done as a retail concern is putting it mildly. Still, I’m very curious to see how this plays out considering nearly a third of the space is occupied by government and medical offices.

11. dontforget

Thanks for sharing this article; I'm also curious what happens to the center. I was actually surprised The Finish Line lasted as long as it did. In general, the state of this place, esp. after macy's closed, is depressing for those living nearby. Boscov's is the only life as far as retail there.

I think a grocery food store and pharmacy, perhaps something as basic as Murphy's Marketplace and a CVS, would be welcoming for this place. After all, it's a town center, where people would like the convenience to walk from a residence (luxury apartment) to a grocery store. I just don't see how the macy's site can be re-purposed though. It's so large and window-less, that it'd have to be demolished. But I could be wrong.

#311 dontforget, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  12. dontforget

The article was updated today as well.

Even though the mall itself is struggling, I would be surprised if it was closed very soon, as there are still a number of businesses like Tilt Studio that somewhat rely on foot traffic between Boscov's and the food court.

And mall tenants like Bath & Body Works that will stay to the end. Although there is retail space like in Eagle Plaza (next to Ross) where Bath & Body Works might be better suited at this point. A former Genuardi's and it's shopping center is also vacant and can be used to accommodate a lot of the other tenants in the mall like the government and medical offices, if it's decided to close down the mall.

13. Nytecat

Here’s a follow up article from the Courier Post.

https://www.courierpostonline.com/s...rhees-redevelopment-eminent-domain/468568002/

Reading between the lines, the proposal no doubt recommends tearing down the whole mall except for Boscov’s and replacing everything with standalone buildings. They’ll probably insist this will generate the best return on investment even considering the many sunk costs the township, county, and CNNH have here. That’s the cold, hard, bottom line point of view. But there’s more to the story than that. This place has a lot of stakeholders, more than the average mall. It’s still very early in the process and the town has yet to reach a shared vision of what VTC should be.

14. Nytecat

#315 Nytecat, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  15. dontforget

My interpretation of the Moorestown situation is that the mall and the other Moorestown retail centers have been re-zoned for mixed use. PREIT can add housing on the mall site, but if PREIT decided to add housing at Moorestown Mall - like it did when it owned Echelon Mall and chose that path, then a low income mandate for a percentage of units would apply in this case. However, PREIT has no obligation to add housing and most likely has no interest in it anyways. I'm surprised East Gate Square was not included as around 1/3 of the property lies in Moorestown Twp. Barnes & Noble, Old Navy and Staples are on the Moorestown side. The former hhgregg which is still unoccupied lies in Moorestown.

Moorestown hhgregg Store Slated To Close

Regarding, Voorhees - I'm confused. I don't know how the township can condemn the mall property that Namdar purchased for 13.5 million, owns and operates and has active tenants that pay rent. I assume Namdar is fulfilling that role adequately. If it's turning down tenants and units are unfilled, isn't it their choice? PREIT keeps a high rent at Exton and Moorestown for willing tenants like Banana Republic (at Exton) and H&M (at Moorestown), but by doing so, excludes a number of mom&pop stores.

The macy's building is unused as a unit, and not owned by Namdar. But perhaps Namdar has some say in the future of the macy's site or it's vast parking lot, and this is what caused the tension (or persistent problems) between the township and Namdar?

#316 dontforget, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  16. Nytecat

Long term, PREIT will want to repurpose excess space at Moorestown Mall. I don't know how much further they can go with eating, drinking, and entertainment before other uses like housing or a hotel are considered. Time will tell how that plays out.

I'm sure Voorhees gets an earful from its constituents about the mall's current state. It's easy to point fingers and say Namdar must be a bad landlord. That point of view ignores a steady decline that dates back almost 20 years. One gripe was about a karate place opening next to Victoria's Secret. I get it. Nobody wants to see well known national brands give way to no-name independent shops, especially businesses associated with dead malls like discount furniture and martial arts training. But anybody who thinks that town intervention will bring back popular stores in a big way is going to be disappointed.

I hope the redevelopment plan takes the other side of Somerdale Rd. into account. Several underutilized and vacant properties including the now razed IHOP are also hurting VTC. Quite a contrast to Laurel Rd which generates some pedestrian traffic and feeds the mall's (sort of) healthier first floor.

17. Nytecat

18. dontforget

Thanks for the updates (Burger King closure, escalators out, etc.). The philly.com article provides more information as Namdar has been neglecting the property even in maintenance mode. I wonder how long Tilt Studio (an attraction for kids) and maybe enerjuicer (which is kind of nice) will stay open. These tenants could likely do well in Moorestown Mall. Really after a certain point, the loss of traffic of customers who supported these mall businesses and then went to buy a gift at Boscov - as part of the trip to the mall, would hurt Boscov's once those ancillary businesses close.

Also mentioned is the idea of a new library - which I mentioned once. The Cherry Hill Library is a nice one to model after, and maybe a similar clone could be built where macy's is currently located.

I didn't venture inside to the mall, but recently ventured to the Echelon side of Voorhees.

A few things that I noticed
    1. The Echelon Target isn't getting modernized compared to other Target stores. In contrast, the Marlton one is close to done renovation. The Echelon Target might have had few re-models if any (aside from the expanded food section that pretty much all Philly area Targets went through), and there might be low priority for Target to modernize the Echelon location. The lack of interest in the area if pervasive and evident inside just the Target. It's not only Target - the closest Starbucks in Echelon area of Voorhees is in Cherry Hill (bordering Voorhees). The Echelon side of Voorhees kind of reminds of me of Atlantic County. A lot of potential for better, but no real signs of upward progression and in general, not well perceived.
    2. The Eagle Plaza, anchored by ACME, Ross, Office Depot, Chipotle, McDonalds, and a lot of restaurants could likely accommodate Bath & Body Works, Victoria's Secret and LensCrafters. This plaza is somewhat dated in appearance, but is overall healthy and has a strong location. The vacancies could be filled by some of the mall tenants, like the ones that I listed.. A movie theater (formerly a Ritz - now labeled as Carmike but I believe owned by AMC) and another retail center are adjacent and successful and there a number of Echelon area hotels (Hampton Inn, Springhill Suites). There is the CooperTowne Plaza in Somerdale, anchored by Wal-Mart and Cinemark, that might attract other Echelon businesses.
    3. The Echelon Village Plaza is another dead shopping center and surprised it eschews attention unlike the mall failure. It was once anchored by Superfresh and Drug Emporium, then a gap of vacancy and much later Genuardi's. Soon after the Echelon Target added a significant section of store dedicated to selling fresh produce and frozen items, Genuardi's closed - maybe coincidence or not. I believe that vacant grocery site is owned by Safeway's parent company that coincidentally owns ACME, where ACME already has a nearby store in Eagle Plaza and doesn't want competition. Voorhees could look into condemning this site and perhaps move the township facilities over here as well.

In the philly.com article, was a link:
    Grocer Sprouts to open South Philly store in 2018, but not in Moorestown

PREIT was apparently in talks to get Sprouts to consider a Moorestown Mall site but Sprouts has backed out, and PREIT is pursuing another tenant. I wonder if it will be Fresh Market or Rastelli's Market Fresh.

On the topic of upscale or specialty grocers in the area, since Amazon acquired Whole Foods, I have noticed that its two South Jersey locations (Cherry Hill, Marlton) are busier. On the other hand, I have been wondering how the Cherry Hill Mom's Organic Markets is doing and if the site is working or not. It just doesn't seem busy like their stores down in Maryland. It basically opened right across CH Whole Foods and minutes away from CH Wegmans, putting itself in much competition but in the less wealthy side of Cherry Hill, perhaps hoping to attract Haddonfield customers and assuming it's slightly lower prices (relative to Whole Foods) would be attractive all before the Amazon acquisition. I believe three miles up north Kings Highway into Moorestown (and maybe the mall site) might actually be a better location, if it could move at this point, and find another tenant (maybe like Family Dollar) to sublease it's current space. The site it chose just seems suited for a dollar store, more than a destinational upscale organic food store.

#319 dontforget, Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  19. Nytecat

Wow, that’s a mouthful! I’ll try to touch on most of those thoughts. It’s very easy to expand this discussion beyond the mall itself. I wonder about the general economic malaise that is said to exist in New Jersey and Camden County in particular. Except for Collingswood and the Haddons, is anything in Camden County considered hot or desirable right now? The Echelon area unfortunately is just too far to capitalize on that.

You mentioned the Voorhees Target being overlooked for improvements and that really surprises me. The loop roughly defined by White Horse Rd, Haddonfield-Berlin, and Laurel Oak Rd is supposed to be the commercial heart of the township. To hear that this area is showing some signs of weakness is troubling. But I’m not surprised by the lack of sympathy for the Village Plaza. It’s just a strip mall and those are a dime a dozen. Enclosed malls that multitask as civic centers, performance venues, fundraising sites, and as all around, all weather gathering places understandably provoke much more concern when they fail.

I have advocated for excess space at the mall to be repurposed as offices and I realize that has its own caveats. Subaru and several other companies have been enticed by the state to move their workforces in a bid to improve Camden. That of course weakens the office market elsewhere in South Jersey. Is the Star Group building still vacant? I saw people in there during my last visit but they could have just been maintenance or security. An early plan for the Voorhees Town Center said this building was going to be a supermarket. I wonder if that's still a viable use. Anyway, the mall structure lends itself best to offices that get a lot of walk-up clients like doctors, lawyers, realtors, etc. I don’t know how good the outlook for landing these tenants would be. Moving the library back would also help. Finally, the township needs to encourage uses across Laurel and Somerdale that increases pedestrian traffic throughout the area to create a true town center.

20. dontforget

Sorry, I probably shouldn't have expounded too much into the gourmet/upscale grocery stores realm. But PREIT is trying to put one of those at the Moorestown Mall, and I feel that Amazon's purchase of Whole Foods has helped that chain against new competitors. I've been to a Sprouts in Texas and didn't find it anything special, but it tries to position itself somewhere between Whole Foods and Trader Joes, and The Fresh Market. It will sell organics but also will have a bins of regular white sugar artificial color candy like a regular store.

I won't say anything is hot, but in terms of retail, and even desirable areas

The Voorhees side closer to Route 73 is more desirable with retailers seeking space there - Party City is one tenant that moved from Eagle Plaza (Echelon) to be on the 73 corridor. The homes are larger and more estate like closer to 73.

Aside from everything in retail in Cherry Hill, there is the development of the Gloucester Outlets (in Blackwood) and newer retail centers in Sicklerville, off Cross Keys Rd. On the Collingswood/Haddon side, a new smaller concept Target store is slated to open in Westmont.

Indeed that was the original plan, and ShopRite was interested. However, when Ahold Stop&Shop decided to leave the South Jersey market, it made a deal with Wakefern and the Ravitz family owner of local ShopRite stores acquired the building in Evesham Rd., on the border of the Cherry Hill and Voorhees, near the Echelon side. So it scrapped it's plans to open an Echelon ShopRite.

With a super Wal-Mart also now open in Somerdale, I wouldn't expect interest from the Ravitz family; coincidentally and Jason Ravitz, mayor of Voorhees, is related to the Ravitz family. A new luxury apartment complex is opening in the west side of Cherry Hill, near a closed ShopRite (1445 Brace Rd., Cherry Hill). I've been wondering if the Ravitz family would ever entertain re-opening that site which is one of the few ShopRite locations that closed and there has been no new occupant.

21. Nytecat

Aren't smaller homes supposed to be fashionable again? Or is that just true of cities and old towns with interesting architecture? I personally find the moderately sized split-level homes north of the mall to be cute even if they're not everyone's cup of tea. But generally speaking, I know people in Northeast Philly that want to move to South Jersey so they must still be doing something right.

A Shop Rite reopening sounds unlikely but I am surprised there have been no takers for the building thus far. Another dead shopping plaza that intrigues me is the one across White Horse Pike from Lindenwold station. https://www.courierpostonline.com/s...14/redevelopment-proposed-stratford/90306614/

22. dontforget

About smaller homes - I suppose it depends on architecture, location and quality of the homes. In my opinion, the Echelon Mall just doesn't seem as easy to revitalize (whether it's office/retail/etc.) as say the Moorestown Mall.

A couple of updates
    I went to Moorestown Mall a few days ago and noticed signs for HomeSense and Sierra Trading Post. HomeSense is listed to open Fall of this year and Sierra Trading Post is to open in 2019. In addition, the side of macy's facing Route 38 is under development. I wonder if TJX could be persuaded to move Marshall's into the mall as well, rather than it operating adjacent to a closed Kmart site. Marshall's does operate in PREIT's owned Cumberland Mall.

TJX could possibly bring back TJMaxx into Cherry Hill with HomeGoods over at the current the Toys R Us/Babies site which is in the Wal-Mart center off 38. Overall, decent highway facing location and Wal-Mart traffic to pull from as well. TJMaxx/HomeGoods in CH, and Marshalls/Sierra/HomeSense in Moorestown Mall would give TJX a pretty strong footing on 38, but it's just my idea...

Also, to the point of residential at Moorestown, I suppose it might be possible on the side where the Sears Auto is located. This is not Route 38 facing and a little quieter and possibly suitable for luxury apartments . I think a major scale development (with maybe mixed use featuring residential) as such, would have to happen if Sears/Sears Auto Center goes out of business, and PREIT has significant amount of space to redevelop.

While not in the immediate Philly region area, The Bon Ton is liquidating.
    Bon-Ton is preparing to liquidate. Here’s a map of all its stores

Perhaps the site in Park City in Lancaster could be assumed by macy's. It's a mall that I haven't been to yet, but is the upscale mall for the Lancaster-Harrisburg region without macy's.

#323 dontforget, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Nytecat likes this.
  23. dontforget

I visited the Voorhees Town Center yesterday, and noticed the escalator that is out of service by the foodcourt. One can still walk on it like regular stairs but it's awkward. I can just imagine that LensCrafters which is on the upper level will lose traffic. Despite that, LensCrafters is a peculiar chain - it's still quite dedicated to indoor malls and exclusive to it, and I'd guess likely 95% of their locations are inside malls. I did see in Owings Mills when that large mall closed, LensCrafters did find an off mall location by a center with Wegmans, but that appears to be an exception.

In the Voorhees Town Center, The Children's Place is also closing. Since the last time I went, Things Remembered and Auntie Anne's Pretzels are no longer there, and Claire's and Finish Line as mentioned. Bath & Body Works and Victoria's Secret (co-owned) remain but I can't imagine why they wouldn't relocate to Eagle Plaza, near Ross and Acme.

On the bright side, I did see signs for Giant Fitness at the former YMCA location in Echelon/Voorhees. That YMCA seemed to lose business and closed just about Virtua Fitness opened in Voorhees and became prominent.

As a side note of the local gym scene: Virtua's membership fees are typically $75/mo, while a YMCA is about $40-$50/mo. Giant Fitness advertises $10/mo memberships and seems to be the lowest of the lowest of the chain gyms. Echelon Fitness, through a non chain/franchise ownership, opened and replaced Bally's Fitness - I'd guess their membership fees are below Virtua's but likely higher than Giant Fitness. An LA Fitness is in Somerdale and also not too far from the Echelon side of Voorhees. YMCA no longer has a Camden County location and uses the Mt.Laurel location as a location for both Camden and Burlington counties.

#324 dontforget, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  24. Nytecat

Bon-Ton is a huge loss for malls in small towns and rural areas. At least a couple of PA malls, the Gallerias in York as well as Johnstown, are losing Bon-Ton AND Sears currently. Business Insider compiled a list of Sears closing since Sears didn’t publish one of their own for this round. They haven’t updated it to include York yet. http://www.businessinsider.com/sears-kmart-stores-closing-list-2018-4

So Children’s Place is finally quitting, eh? I guess that leaves LensCrafters, Victoria’s, B&BW, Payless, and Saladworks as the sole major chains. I'd like to visit Wednesday night when Adventureland is having some kind of tournament. Hopefully I can get a nice photo of their old Hot Topic façade. I like it when a chain store closes and the location is filled by a new vendor who sells basically the same stuff.

I'll have to check out Giant Fitness. I never really paid attention when it was a YMCA.

25. dontforget

I will have to check out the York Galleria, as it might make for an interesting visit.

Another note on Voorhees Town Center is the Saladworks operates at reduced hours. I've seen Saladworks have reduced operations at other locations.

I did notice in Voorhees that Aldi is opening off Route 73,
    Equity Retail Brokers: Cedar Hill Shopping Center - Voorhees, NJ

This part of Voorhees is 7 miles from the Echelon side of Voorhees but the small stretch on 73 (between Marlton and Berlin) seems to be of more interest to retailers, than the Echelon side. I still feel a grocery store would be ideal in the VTC, even if Aldi is out now (as it will have a Voorhees store soon). Maybe the Ravitz family could run a Price Rite, which is a scale downed limited-assortment of an equivalent ShopRite, or as a I mentioned, a Murphy's Marketplace (which I've seen in the Medford area) is a small grocery store.

While I have been at times critical of PREIT at times, at least it puts in an effort for Moorestown, and I think it would manage the Oxford Valley Mall likely better. It's just odd that the Boscov's site has been vacant for about 12 years and there is no word of any redevelopment there. It's not an area that is in decline either.

#326 dontforget, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
  26. Nytecat

Sadly, my hoped for final visit to Fairgrounds Square Mall will not happen. It was reportedly closed May 1 by Hull less than a month after announcing it. This kind of surprised me because, except for emergency circumstances like Burlington Center, I've never seen a mall close on less than 30 days notice. The VF Outlets are probably closed too with the few remaining stores shoved into designer square or whatever it's called. The Red building is slated to be demolished for a larger parking lot while the Blue building will be renovated for office space.

Isn't that Voorhees Main Street thing near or on 73? If 73 is so great, why did that development fail to meet expectations? The Echelon side is close to PATCO which is great for transit fans like me and those who ride regularly. But for the average New Jerseyan, I can see why the 73 corridor gets more attention.

PREIT hasn't given up on Moorestown. Somehow they're claiming sales have actually increased here from 370 to 400 per square foot in the year since Macy's left. The only noteworthy additions in that time were H&M and Rue21. Go figure. As far as Oxford Valley goes, the Boscov's building is probably in dire need of repairs or replacement. But as you mentioned earlier, that corner is somewhat hidden and it may be more of a challenge to market than, say, the replacement of Strawbridge's buildings at Cherry Hill and Springfield.

27. dontforget

The Voorhees Main Street is closer to 73 but not on 73 itself, or close enough to it. I once attended someone's wedding in one of the halls over there, and thought that hall was nice. (Maybe Voorhees should consider merging the two, with the Main Street moving to VTC).

I agree with PATCO being close to Echelon should help with Echelon's fate, but unfortunately, it's not enough. Now, the luxury apartment building craze is the Main Street side of Marlton (which is not near PATCO) or even to the major highways (like NJ Turnpike or 295, relative to Mt.Laurel). But that's NJ for you - development is where one will need a car and have to go through local roads for at least 15 mins to get even main highways.

However this part of Marlton, unlike VTC, is appealing in other ways. Retail for example is abundant. That side though is walkable to Marlton Square: Trader Joes being walkable is highly desirable. And the Main Street section is adding new restaurants.

The mayor Marlton was active for redevelopment of the former Kmart shopping center, and this will also be walkable.

https://www.courierpostonline.com/s...pping-center-redevelopment-marlton/452007001/

I kind of wonder after this is done, if Evesham will tackle the vacant Shops at Borders (across the Promenade), the last area of retail blight in the township.

28. dontforget

Article from the Courier Post:
    https://www.courierpostonline.com/s...hill-moorestown-cumberland-housing/573577002/

A little misleading in that a picture of Moorestown Mall and South Jersey mall owner is term used to describe PREIT while PREIT didn't mention Moorestown specifically for homes and hotels.

He did not address any South Jersey locations but said Fashion District Philadelphia, now taking shape at the former site of The Gallery in Center City, offers “significant value for residential development.”

I wouldn't be surprised though if Plymouth Meeting macy's was also considered for a hotel or upscale apartments.

Also interesting noteworthy:
    PREIT noted Cherry Hill Mall was its second-best performer in the latest quarter, trailing only Willow Grove Park in suburban Philadelphia.

Perhaps it's fair to say, malls by rank in our region are as follows:
    1. King of Prussia
    2. Willow Grove Park
    3. Cherry Hill
    4-5. either Christiana or Quaker Bridge ?
    6-7. Oxford Valley then Deptford?

I excluded the Philadelphia Mills but maybe it's somewhere between # 5-8.

#329 dontforget, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
  29. Nytecat

Wednesday I took a jaunt down to VTC but for a change of pace I decided to walk from Lindenwold. The first thing I saw appeared to be a roadside motel occupied by lawyer and doctor office suites. It just looked odd. Next was the Giant Fitness which is now open. The 1977 building was adorned in corduroy concrete. No doubt this was another element in Rouse’s planned community for the area.

I saw the Children’s Place with their closing sale already in progress. The store was about half empty. Surprisingly, the escalators in the Macy’s court were running again though the pair at the food court are still inactive. Speaking of food, I wonder how much longer the remaining eateries can survive. VTC is now about as dead as Burlington was when Brooklyn Pizza closed that location. But with additional non-retail workers in the area, they may yet be getting an adequate lunch crowd.

Good to see the old Tri Towne site moving forward. Last thing I remember reading on it was Kmart being torn down. Did you get to see it as an enclosed mini-mall?

I find it ironic that PREIT now wants to embrace hotels and residential. Barely a decade ago, they divested all their non-retail holdings to concentrate on malls. What goes around comes around. Finally, in an age when retailers are trying to close all superfluous locations, Forever 21 is opening at Plymouth Meeting?? Wowsers! PREIT Executes New Leases with Forever 21 Representing Portfolio Appeal to Quality Retail Brands - PREIT

My top Philly area malls are King of Prussia, Christiana, Willow Grove, Cherry Hill, Quakerbridge, and Deptford. Princeton Marketfair and Concord might be next because of their boutique atmosphere and no sales tax respectively. Beyond that, local malls are hard to rank until you get down to Plymouth, Exton, and Coventry.