Greater Philly mall thread: The good, the bad, and the dead.

Discussion in 'The Suburbs' started by Nytecat, Mar 8, 2016.

1. dontforget

dontforget Well-Known Member

HomeSense and Sierra Trading Post to replace Macy's at Moorestown Mall - Philly

"While no definitive opening dates were given, PREIT said both stores would debut at the mall sometime this year. HomeSense will take up 25,000 square feet and Sierra Trading 18,000 square feet of what used to be a 200,000-square-foot Macy’s. At least two more tenants will use the space, spanning two levels, PREIT spokeswoman Heather Crowell said."

Both are specialty stores owned by TJX.

I wonder if PREIT can lure Marshall's and HomeGoods to join as well. Both are across Route 38 but in a shopping center without a solid anchor and traffic with it, as Kmart closed.

PREIT was also looking at a gourmet grocery store, at one point, and I think Rastelli's Market Fresh, or The Fresh Market would work well occupying some space in the macy's site. Just my ideas...

Up in Northern NJ, it was noted that the Phillipsburg Mall will lose Bon Ton, after Sears which had recently closed. This a dying mall that I would like to check out. JCPenney is also closing in Paramus, in what seems like a similar closure to King of Prussia, leaving a very high rent mall.

#301 dontforget, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  2. Nytecat

Nytecat Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks for the update on Moorestown. And now I’m very concerned about Phillipsburg Mall. You’d think that being separated from PA malls by a river might offer some advantage but that doesn’t appear to be the case.

After years of waiting, someone has finally posted a dead mall video of Voorhees Town Center on Youtube including a look inside the shuttered Macy’s. Enjoy!

3. dontforget

dontforget Well-Known Member

Thanks for that link. It had some good historical points, although it was a lengthy video. I wish it was a video capture of the mall, anytime before 1995, though, than present. :)

I wonder how the individual got into the macy's building. His preference is towards re-purposing it one day, but I can't see really how. I don't have any attachment to the actual Strawbridge and later macy's building - and believe it's path would most likely need a demolition for new development, as it's very large space to work to otherwise re-purpose.

Over at Moorestown, one small change. The Chipotle now has an enclosed mall entrance, in addition to it's external one, similar now to Plymouth Meeting. This is something that should have been made when they first opened there, and odd that the extra door is added after the mall loses macy's.

#303 dontforget, Feb 18, 2018 at 3:02 PM
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018 at 3:08 PM