Greater Philly mall thread: The good, the bad, and the dead.

Discussion in 'The Suburbs' started by Nytecat, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Nytecat

Nytecat Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd like to visit the Phillipsburg Mall too. It already has a Dan Bell video posted, lol. But it's so far out of the way for me I might never get to see it in person.

On the other hand, I managed to take a trip to Park City Center just outside the city of Lancaster. It was quite busy on an October Saturday and has a nice roster of tenants including popular names like Apple, Pandora, and Williams Sonoma. One corner of the mall's exterior has a lifestyle center with a fountain that is either defunct or already shut down for the winter. It was 61 degrees but it wasn't THAT cold. There is no indoor fountain either, at least not today.

The most interesting thing to me about this mall is the unorthodox layout. Promise not to laugh? It's designed like a prison! If you stand in the very middle of the center court, you can turn and see down every corridor just like it's Eastern Staten Penitentiary. It's also mostly one floor except for a small section which includes a food court and Kohl's, which is a junior anchor here, on a lower level.

The big anchors are JCPenney, Bon Ton, Boscov's, and Sears. The Boscov's, btw, is covered in corduroy concrete. There is no Macy's and I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to be here except that all the department store spaces were already spoken for. Macy's doesn't have a store anywhere between Allentown and Harrisburg and this might be a rare place they'd want to open a location if they get the chance.

2. dontforget

dontforget Well-Known Member

Cool that you checked out the Park City Center. I've been wanting to check out that mall, as I drive sometimes from Harrisburg back to Philly, but it appears to be a detour off the PA Turnpike. Last time I was heading back it was during traffic hours, so I couldn't fit it in. I'm always rushing back without much time. And, it is interesting that Macy's is missing in the most successful mall in Central PA. Maybe it should wait for either Bon Ton or Sears to close. It does operate in the Harrisburg Mall which is a ghetto mall.

More locally, I did stop recently at Plymouth Meeting Mall. It appears there are a number of mom&pop stores - maybe more than before? Shoe Dept. Encore will be opening up soon there; I wonder if PREIT will court for that chain in Moorestown.. Also a big question is when PREIT plans to redevelop the macy's site over there. I recall reading it was to be restaurants/entertainment, but why not add atleast a new Burlington store, and have some more apparel chains in the area. I'd think luxury apartments (e.g. Avalon Apartments) would also fit in well. Avalon is one example of an apartment community that is part of a mixed use center in Hunt Valley, MD, and Plymouth might make sense following such redevelopment, atleast partially.

#272 dontforget, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  3. Nytecat

If you travel to and from Harrisburg regularly, any chance of returning early so you can stop at at Park City? I guess the Harrisburg Mall Macy's is still doing good business even if most of the mall is on shaky ground. But I can see Macy's closing this location if they can get into Park City.

I don't know what the status of the Macy's buildings at Moorestown and Plymouth Meeting is. PREIT's website still shows both malls at over 90% occupancy. That only makes sense if ownership hasn't been conveyed to PREIT yet. I was at Moorestown Mall last weekend and peeking through the gap in the doors there's no sign of any changes so far. I did notice a conspicuous Strawbridge's labelscar on the Rt. 38 side. The only other thing of note is that Halloween Spirit has set up a seasonal shop in the former Eastern Mountain Sports location.

I also went across Rt. 38 to say my goodbyes to Kmart. This location has an unique facade for a Kmart and made me wonder about the building's history. I found Josh's photos and according to him this location began its life as a Korvette's. There's also a vintage "garden shop" sign on the west side in all lower case letters. Kmart Moorestown NJ

4. Nytecat

5. dontforget

From CNN,
    JCPenney warns: Losses are growing

Too bad for JCPenney I guess. We are just two months away from the end of the year. I wonder if by January of next year, we will hear of more rounds of slashing of stores? It seemed like this year there was already much trimming by macy's and jcpenney. As for Sears, it seems inevitable more store closings will be on the way.

philly.com had an article from earlier this month:
    Mall musical chairs: How PREIT landed Zara at Cherry Hill Mall

I visited the Cherry Hill Mall today and it was busy (typical for a Fall Saturday). The Zara seemed busy as well, and there was a young crowd throughout the mall. Nothing really new, but it just seems like 90% of the people in the mall were probably under the age of 35 - which is a different demographic than Moorestown Mall pulls.

As far as musical chairs go, I kind of wonder if PREIT's Moorestown macy's plans aren't firmed, if it can negotiate with JCPenney for it to move to Moorestown. With some cash incentive as PREIT would likely benefit if JCPenney moved more than JCPenney directly benefiting. It would give PREIT much space for redeveloping the end where Modell's/JCPenney is located in Cherry Hill for a store like Primark that can fit in well with the Cherry Hill Mall and the demographic. PREIT could expand Cherry Hill with more stores, restaurants, entertainment venues for the millennial and younger generation customer.

Another benefit is PREIT fills an unoccupied anchor space at Moorestown without having to tear down and rebuild, while having much better opportunities at Cherry Hill to build out more. Moorestown is just 3 miles east and jcp can pick up Burlington county customers and older shoppers that might be more inclined to shop at the store anyways. Just a thought. On the other hand, I could see JCPenney viewing the Cherry Hill store equivalent now as it's Philadelphia's location and it might reluctant to relocate when that store is presumably profitable, to move and take a risk with no guarantee it'd replicate it's Cherry Hill success in Moorestown.

#275 dontforget, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  6. Nytecat

More details about plans for the Moorestown Macy's finally revealed: To replace Macy's, PREIT may redesign Moorestown Mall with discounters One of the newcomers is said to be a new to the market sporting goods store and in the comments, there's speculation its an outfit called Sierra Trading Post. Have you ever heard of them? I haven't.

Moving JCP to Moorestown is an interesting idea which it might be too late for. Until 2017 unfolded in the menacing way it has, I thought JCP stood a very good chance of surviving. Now? The outlook seems much bleaker. Big mall landlords have been replacing Sears anchors where possible and now they seem to be taking a similar stance with JCP.

7. Bixbyte

Bixbyte Well-Known Member

Horror show just won't end for Macy's and Nordstrom
    More trouble in mall land: Wall Street is bracing for more signs of the retail apocalypse this week when Macy's and Nordstrom (JWN) detail the latest pain from the loss of mall shoppers who've migrated online.
    Worse than slumping sales, department stores are likely to paint a gloomy picture about their busiest and most critical time of the year. Morgan Stanley recently warned that sales will outright decline during the holiday quarter at both Macy's (M) and Nordstrom.
    The obvious reason for shrinking sales is that fewer and fewer Americans are heading to the malls to do their Christmas shopping. Instead of battling the crowds, they're finding great deals and more convenience on Amazon and elsewhere online.

Horror show just won't end for Macy's and Nordstrom

8. dontforget

What isn't mentioned in philly.com, is the sq. footage of these two new tenants relative to the total space. It isn't that much, a total of 43,000 sq. ft, while the macy's structure is around 200,000 sq. ft. Instead what is written is "For the home furnishings store, HomeGoods owned by TJX Cos., comes to mind, while the second replacement tenant could either be a Dick’s Sporting Goods" which makes no sense, as these serve the region and are in close vicinity to the mall as well.

I know demolition is expensive, but that leaves a lot of space that likely won't fit well to be leased. I wonder why PREIT just doesn't demolish the site, as redevelopment would permit for better fit if its going for discounters and more than two tenants. I guess we will have to wait for more details. I still feel PREIT is doing the absolute minimum in it's solution for the mall. I haven't heard of Sierra Trading Post, but the outdoorsy/sport niche store was done with Eastern Mountain Sports and it didn't fit in well at Moorestown. There is LL Bean and REI in Marlton that likely better target that customer. Back when Sports Authority closed, there was comments by people that perhaps Academy Sports would expand into NJ, but it mostly serves the southern states.

#278 dontforget, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  9. Nytecat

Good point. That’s not much of the former Macy’s space at all. It sure doesn’t seem like PREIT wants to put a lot of money into Moorestown. At this point they might think it’d be throwing good money after bad. Oh well, if PREIT isn’t willing to make major changes here, eventually someone else will.

Over this weekend I got to check out three malls: Willow Grove, Exton Square, and Plymouth Meeting. I mainly went to WG for my final visit to the adjacent Kmart which is closing in less than 10 days. Despite being mostly empty, the Big K didn’t look that bad inside. I’ve seen other Kmarts that were much more deteriorated with discolored ceiling tiles, broken fixtures, and stuff like that. The mall itself is still in good shape despite a slight uptick in vacancies. A seasonal Christmas shop is currently in the old Hollister location.

At Exton, Gymboree is closing soon, Teavana’s fate is still unclear, and a regional chain called Jay Street games is opening in the GameStop spot. And seeing the entrance to Round1 right nexts to the medical offices is an interesting juxtaposition. One has all those flashing lights and screens while the other is defined by static, empty wall space.

At Plymouth Meeting, which I went to on Sunday, there was no line to get into Legoland. Maybe the novelty is wearing off but I’m sure they still do good business. And in addition to the now open 5wits, PMM also has a new Build A Bear kiosk. Still no clue on what awaits the former Macy’s.

10. dontforget

11. Nytecat

Is Coldwater Creek still a thing? I haven't really been on the lookout for them but I don't recall seeing any lately either. I have yet to visit the Promenade. But, exclusive stores aside, it looks like a glorified strip mall to me.

Sears Holdings recently announced 60 stores to be closed in early 2018, including 18 Sears locations. While nothing in our area made the list this time, upstate PA malls are getting pounded:

Kmart, Clarion, Clarion Mall
    Sears, State College, Nittany Mall
    Sears(asterisk), Pennsdale/Muncy, Lycoming Mall
    Sears(asterisk), Indiana, Indiana Mall

Although its in NJ, Phillipsburg Mall is considered part of the Lehigh Valley retail market and their Sears is slated to close as well.

12. dontforget

Coldwater Creek was a chain with once up to 365 stores, and it went bankrupt, and slashed stores across the country, but apparently it survived online, and has been revived through different ownership and now has one store in Burlington, MA. I just found the name of the store to be interesting.

The Promenade is somewhat of a glorified strip mall, like you mentioned. It'd be better if it was somehow connected to Marlton Square, which is another strip mall, that has Trader Joes, GAP, Victoria Secret, etc. but just further up the road on Route 73, so that there would be a greater critical mass of stores together.

The Coldwater Creek took significant space at the Promenade though, and I figured H&M would one day make it to the Promenade, but it chose otherwise and went into Moorestown Mall instead for a secondary location to Cherry Hill. I found out it was J. Crew, that is the other tenant that had recently closed at the Promenade. That spot is a good location, so hopefully it will fill. J. Crew does operate in Cherry Hill Mall though.

The dynamic of Promenade to PREIT's Cherry Hill and Moorestown Mall (and one time Echelon) interesting. Promenade does compete against PREIT's malls and vice versa. If it didn't exist, it's likely Moorestown could perform a bit better. At times, stores open in Promenade first, but ultimately settle in Cherry Hill Mall (J. Crew and Hugo Boss are two examples). Then there are other stores like Lucky Brand Jeans that are content to be in Promenade and haven't opened in Cherry Hill. The history also includes Pottery Barn, which originally was in Marlton Square, left it for Cherry Hill Mall. In somewhat reverse, Ethan Allen moved into Marlton from the west Cherry Hill/Maple Shade area.

But it does seem in general, Promenade is slightly less upscale now than when it originally developed. When it leased to American Eagle Outfitters as a tenant, I figured it would trend more mid range.

Anyways, J. Crew announced there will be more store closures:

J. Crew will close dozens of stores by the end of January

#282 dontforget, Nov 22, 2017 at 11:19 AM
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017 at 12:00 PM