Grays Ferry Pathmark CLOSING

Discussion in 'Southwest Center City' started by cccomp, Oct 20, 2015.

1. boognish

boognish Well-Known Member

My daughter stays home from daycare on Friday, so I thought today would be a good day for Christmas cookies. I went to Supreme last night to get sprinkles, but the selection was terrible and crazy expensive. I figured that this would be a great day to try out the new Super Fresh.

I've got to say that I'm really impressed. Like every other supermarket in Philly, you need to figure out exactly what they have and shop smart. They have a small section devoted to DiBruno stuff, which surprised me, but the prices were pretty high. The seafood looked ok, but not really that good. No real butcher counter (although it did appear that there is a space for one). A pretty small produce department. BUT, honestly, it was generally pretty nice. There were a lot of sales and discounts on stuff I'd actually buy (and actually did). There were even some odd things here and there. I got two big slabs of veal breast for $1.49/lb. And they had legs of lamb for $4.99/lb (I set an alarm on my phone to revisit the day it "expires"), which isn't a great price necessarily, but it was nice to see one there.

They, like Wegmans, are focusing on prepared food as they have the highest margins. They've got a big grill station, a hot foods bar, and a salad bar. The beer prices were standard, which is to say high. A six-pack of Hop Devil is $12.99. I've seen worse. The wine selection is pretty much what you'd expect--abysmal, but hey, they have wine! And a good bit of it as well.

I hope that the new blood in Graduate Hospital come here and spend money on the good, higher-end stuff, so it doesn't get 86'd. It's only been open a week, so of course it's still clean and shiny. I don't know if any of you ever went when it was Pathmark, but that place was terrible. The contrast is fantastic.

Anyway, I'm very happy with the significant upgrade. Glad to know that there's a place where I can shop once or twice a month for basics.

2. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very oldĀ®

Fresh Grocer though. ;)

3. boognish

boognish Well-Known Member

Hahahah...nice catch. This is what happens when I watch a three year old all day.