Good Tree service?

Discussion in 'Manayunk / Roxborough / East Falls' started by Clipman, May 31, 2017.

1. Clipman

Clipman Member

Hi, anyone know a good, moderately priced tree guy, have to remove a tree approx 20' high by 20' wide,,, called 2 local tree companies and quotes were sky high. Thanks!

2. stock

stock Well-Known Member

I use Shecktman tree.

What did the two quotes come in at?

3. Clipman

Clipman Member

Not including the stump, 3800 & 2500.. both said if I paid that day would knock off 10%... no thanks.

4. stock

stock Well-Known Member

You have a picture? Big tree? Need a crane? Power lines? Tough access? These all come into play on price. Not trying to tweak you, just trying to figure out the price and give you some possible perspective to the price.

5. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Edited

#5 Titus, Jun 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  6. Bixbyte

Bixbyte Well-Known Member

I was told never pay more than $500 to remove a tree.
    First my home owners only pays $500 limit for tree removal.
    Second the wood is valuable and the removal service should pay you for the wood.

7. stock

stock Well-Known Member

That. Is ridiculous. I know for a fact every tree company has to pay to have wood hauled away, they get to much every month. How is it "valuable"? You mean firewood? lol

How much do you think the chippers cost? The cranes? The saws? The workers comp (one of the highest), the trucks? the employee's?

witout and Burholme06 like this.
  8. ShoshTrvls

ShoshTrvls Well-Known Member

I live in a row house with no alley. McFarland took down two huge (I'm talking, taller than the 3 story apartment building behind me) trees, and somehow got all their remnants through my house without a single leaf being left behind. I still stand in awe of how they accomplished it.

9. Bixbyte

$500 is about the norm
    Everyone else is a possible rip
    His quote was $3800 !!!!
    GOOGLE IT!
    COST TREE REMOVAL:
    Screenshot from 2017-06-08 15-07-40.png

10. Timshel

Timshel Well-Known Member

$3800 sounds high for a 20' tree standing alone in a field, but maybe not so high for a 20' tree hanging over your house and power lines.

We've used Gillespie and found them to be reasonable and no nonsense.

stock likes this.
  11. witout

witout Well-Known Member

That. Is ridiculous. I know for a fact every tree company has to pay to have wood hauled away, they get to much every month. How is it "valuable"? You mean firewood? lol

How much do you think the chippers cost? The cranes? The saws? The workers comp (one of the highest), the trucks? the employee's?

100% correct. The biggest expense for a legitimate tree service, workmans comp. My friend just sold his Main Line tree business mostly due to his insurance increase. Almost $.50 of every dollar was going towards that expense. You certainly do not want an uninsured fly-by-night tree service working around electric wires and your house. Having fewer expenses allows these companies to offer lower quotes to undercut the competition. Just be leery of a really low quote. We all know the old saying, you get what you pay for.

A blanket statement of $500 is the norm is absolutely ridiculous. To remove any part of the tree with a crane and starting point $1,250. The minimum stump grinding quote is $300. To many variables to say $500 is the norm. I agree $3800 is high but without seeing any pictures its difficult to have an intelligent discussion about the cost.

stock likes this.
  12. Bixbyte

GOOGLE IT
    HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO REMOVE A TREE?
    There are a lot of rip offs in Philly:

Screenshot from 2017-06-08 15-13-52.png

13. stock

stock Well-Known Member

Extensive research on Google...

14. witout

witout Well-Known Member

We have two prices at our company our normal price and the I don't want to do the job price. I now understand the $3,800 quote.

Jayfar likes this.
  15. Clipman

Clipman Member

The wires are cable wires not electric,,,, shouldn't be a very difficult take down with a few workers and truck to haul away, wondering now if I wait till fall when it loses its leaves and is lighter, maybe the price will go down:) even down a little:)

16. Clipman

Clipman Member

Update, Gillespie gave a very good quote to remove the tree (under 1000) and came out the very next day, no debris left & swept up the area thoughly!!!!! Drew was pleasant to talk with and I will refer Gillespie to anyone asking!!!!!!!
    Next up I will get prices to construct a small (10x10) deck.

stock and Bixbyte like this.
  17. Timshel

Timshel Well-Known Member

$3800

stock likes this.