Good bye, Made in America!

Discussion in 'Fairmount / Spring Garden / Francisville' started by Phillyurban8, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Phillyurban8

Phillyurban8 Well-Known Member

Well, City leaders have finally realized that shoe horning a concert in a neighborhood and closing off traffic for extended periods of time isn't such a great idea.

Where do Jay Z and Beyonce live? Have the concert in their neighborhood.

OakmontGuy, Tartan69 and fiveomar like this.
  2. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Well the administration and the Fairmount, Spring Garden, Parkway areas are now being called racist because we don't want to be the playground for the rest of the city. There has to be a limit on the number of these huge events. I'm grateful the administration seems to have listened, though I'd not be surprised at a reverse...

OakmontGuy, Jayfar and Tartan69 like this.
  3. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

What does eviction of Jay-Z's Made in America mean for the Parkway? | Philly.com

The Benjamin Franklin Parkway makes a stunning backdrop for a victory parade, a papal visit or, say, a concert like Made in America — no one in Philadelphia city government is disputing that. But are those blockbuster events really the best use of the space? What about its status the rest of the year, as an eight-lane highway stretching from the Rocky statue to Logan Circle?

Those questions have been in play as the city — for the first time in a generation — has been working to map out a cohesive vision for the Parkway. Before Mayor Kenney apparently blindsided Jay-Z over the concert’s cancellation, it had been a careful process, conducted through a series of wonky studies and a few bold experiments.

The latest of those experiments opens on Friday: an expansion of the Oval pop-up park that sprawls from the Eakins Oval all the way to 20th Street, reclaiming the northbound outer lane of the Parkway from vehicular traffic — and, city officials hope, proving the theory that this space could become a major leisure destination without causing a calamitous traffic jam.

In the past five years, the city, in conjunction with residents’ groups and the cultural institutions that comprise the Parkway Council, has brought in planners and consultants to examine everything from traffic patterns to public perceptions. A study of major events on the Parkway, released this spring, raised a broad range of concerns: neighbor’s noise and trash complaints, cultural institutions’ worries about the negative impact of major events, and the Philadelphia Museum of Art’s susceptibility to physical damage.

[snip]​

#3 Jayfar, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Titus likes this.
  4. fiveomar

fiveomar Well-Known Member

Philly.com clickbait headline. MIA wasn't "evicted", the contract was up and not renewed for ONE specific location.

In any lease/contract, this is not what "eviction" means. Fake news.

5. ODragon

ODragon Well-Known Member

People enjoyed it, they will still enjoy it, maybe more of it is elsewhere.

6. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

in fairness, the parkway doesn't belong to fairmount and spring garden. it was built at great expense by the entire city. the main problem is that there is zero effort to mitigate the impact of those events.

7. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Fair enough, but Fairmount most of all bears the brunt of the problems and those who live elsewhere couldn't seem to give a damn. But I'd point out that the parkway was not built as a staging area of festivals, rather to bring the tranquility and beauty of Fairmount Park into the downtown.

ZARK, fiveomar and Tartan69 like this.
  8. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

9. eldondre

It's never been used that way, primarily as a surface highway cutting off neighborhoods to the north. that said, we do host concerts in parks. the dell, the mann, and the stadiums are all on park land technically (except the linc). people don't care about other people's neighborhoods. fairmounters aren't concerned with issues in other people's neighborhoods and let's face it, it's still nimyism which is a local strength. no bike lane on 22nd, no dog parks, don't build a reasonably good sized tower. events on the parkway is part of the tradeoff of living there though I do agree mitigation should be part of the deal. I live up here and I know it's hard to get people to see anything but their nimbyism. there are some real, legitimate complaints but there are also plenty of snobby, selfish assholes. the truth is always somewhere in between. festival haters will get a two-fer with bastille day getting canned as well.

Scoats likes this.
  10. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

While I agree with Titus, this is also very very true of the SG/Fairmount neighborhoods

Titus likes this.
  11. ODragon

ODragon Well-Known Member

I don't live up there but do go there from time to time. This city has a plethora of places to hold a concert that would still shine and show off other parts of the city to people viewing the show; if they can even see it. I feel like the backdrop of the show is hidden by the stage so it really could be anywhere.

Tartan69 and fiveomar like this.
  12. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

Not so fast...

It's staying.

eldondre likes this.
  13. OKT3

OKT3 Garager

I'm glad it's staying. My hyperventilating and overdramatic neighbors that are trying to re-create Lower Merion-on-the-Parkway, not so much. So it goes.

Redder64 and eldondre like this.
  14. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

"Lower Merion" might be stretching it, but the damned festival lasts two solid weeks between the set-up and break-down. The fact remains there are too many disruptive events on the Parkway that could be shared with other parts of the city but I knew Kenney would fold.

Hospitalitygirl and fiveomar like this.
  15. Cya

Cya Don't get me started

Of course Kenney would fold. Do you think he wants to piss off JayZ and the black voting block? Of course not. Kenney is weak. Almost feel sorry for the neighbors in the MiA area. Almost. But hey, if you can't stand noise, don't live near the airport. If you don't want congestion, don't live in the city.

16. Hospitalitygirl

You do realize that many, many, people lived in that area well before it became a regular staging ground for so many "events", right?

ZARK, fiveomar and Titus like this.
  17. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

And too, until recent years most Parkway events didn't take weeks to set up and tear down. Recalling the NFL Draft had some street and lane closures for set-up a month in advance and took 2 or 3 weeks to tear down after it ended.

OldMama, fiveomar and Hospitalitygirl like this.
  18. Hospitalitygirl

If I lived there, I too, would be pissed about the constant inconvenience.

fiveomar likes this.
  19. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

It's not the events it's the inconvenience that got with them and it's substantial.

20. eldondre

the most annoying thing is that they refuse to do any mitigation

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  21. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Parkway neighbors: Does Kenney represent us - or Jay-Z? | Philly.com

After years of griping over parking, noise, and litter associated with the 19 or so major events that take place each year on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, neighbors finally got the city to do something. Working with residents, the Parkway museums, and other institutions, officials conducted extensive research and created a scorecard to determine what events should be held there.

Then — after an angry op-ed from Jay-Z sparked a media firestorm — Mayor Kenney threw it out the window.

At least that’s how it feels to area residents like Drew Murray, who worked on the Parkway events study. Though he is also president of the Logan Square Neighborhood Association, he did not learn until after the fact that Kenney on Monday had walked back his decision to banish the Made in America music festival from the Parkway.

If Jay-Z, who founded the festival, was blindsided by the initial decision, neighbors have been just as startled by its reversal.

[snip]

The city said outreach is underway.

“City officials reached out to several Parkway institutions before the joint statement was released yesterday,” Sarah Reyes, Kenney’s deputy communications director, wrote in an email. “We’ve continued to contact local stakeholders today and plan to meet with residents, civic associations and other institutions to garner feedback on ways we can overcome some of their concerns.”

[snip]

22. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

23. ShoshTrvls

ShoshTrvls Well-Known Member

24. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how gentrification comes into the immediate area of the Parkway, though some urbanists might like to think so. Let's face it a lot of the complaints have come from the Philadelphian, the residents of which are badly universally wealthy - lot's of ordinary middle class people live there.

fiveomar and Hospitalitygirl like this.
  25. Tartan69

Schools were the #1 reason I moved out of the city/neighborhood (by a large margin...I wasn't rolling the dice on Masterman). But this issue is probably in the top 3 or 4.

The important take-away is that my tax dollars went with me. There are many like me. So good luck with that anti-gentrification angle that pisses off all the people that pay more than their fair share...you'll end up getting the services you deserve.

fiveomar, Titus and Hospitalitygirl like this.
  26. Politburo

Politburo Well-Known Member

You keep saying this about people getting what they deserve.. what does it even mean?

27. CityMaps

CityMaps Well-Known Member

Right, Solomon Jones, only white people were inconvenienced by the Parkway closing and "gentrification" only pushes out POC. :rolleyes:

fiveomar, Titus and Hospitalitygirl like this.
  28. Hospitalitygirl

O.H. Lee, fiveomar, boognish and 2 others like this.
  29. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Funny to read elsewhere that it's only the (apparent) gentry that are inconvenienced by this. I know for a fact that apartments in the Philadelphian are a bargain since it has become a far less desirable place to live in the last decade. I remember the first "Super Sunday" event over 40 years ago before I bought a house here. We never dreamed it would become a constant thing. I know plenty of neighbors who have packed up and left for exactly the same reasons.

ZARK, fiveomar and Tartan69 like this.
  30. Tartan69

Continually biting the hand that feeds ends up causing the hand to stop feeding