Former Sheriff Green Busted by Feds

Discussion in 'Local and State' started by Jayfar, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Apparently the Sheriff's office under John Green really was as corrupt as we knew it was.

Feds charge Philly's Ex-Sheriff Green with bribery | Philadelphia Inquirer

2. phillyaggie

phillyaggie Well-Known Member

green wanting greenbacks... that's just normal for Philly Democratic party, no?

who in power in philly doesn't do practically just this sort of thing?! lol

3. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

And the trial is finally underway.

Ex-Philly Sheriff John Green's bribery trial opens with attack on his successor | Philly.com

Interesting bit:

It was [Barbara] Deeley who ultimately canceled Davis’ contracts when she was appointed interim sheriff after Green’s retirement.

But prosecutors suggested Tuesday that that was not always part of the plan.

In her opening remarks, [Assistant U.S. Attorney Jennifer A.] Clarke accused Davis of flying both Deeley and her eventual replacement, current Sheriff Jewell Williams, to Florida for a 2010 meeting.

There, they allegedly coordinated with Green to stage-manage his departure from office while ensuring a line of succession that would protect Davis’ business with the Sheriff’s Office.

Prosecutors have not accused Deeley or Williams of any crimes.

4. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Former Philly Sheriff John Green beats every charge in federal bribery-conspiracy trial | Philly.com

Former Philadelphia Sheriff John Green beat all five charges in his federal corruption trial Tuesday, as a jury also rejected many of the charges against the businessman who prosecutors had said showered Green with bribes and kickbacks.

After a little more than two days of deliberation, the 12 jurors acquitted Green of three of the charges and were hung on the other two, apparently accepting the defense argument that prosecutors were wrongly trying to criminalize a friendship.

Glum prosecutors declined to comment afterward. They could retry Green, 70, who was sheriff for two decades, on the two counts on which no verdict was reached. Assistant U.S. Attorney Christopher Diviny said it was too early for a decision on that.

The jury did find the businessman, James Davis, guilty on a fraud charge, concluding that he plotted to file a false campaign-finance report that hid his financial help to Green in 2007. It also found him guilty of conspiracy for doing that. But it found him not guilty of two other counts of wire fraud, and was hung on a third count.

[snip]​

5. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

6. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

On one hand, prosecutors in general have a bigger burden to overcome in trying bribery cases on the heels of the Supreme Court's unanimous decision in Mcdonnell V. United States, but on the other hand it would seem that Green's awarding of contracts to his generous benefactor would constitute official acts.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/15-474_ljgm.pdf

#6 Jayfar, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  7. Tartan69

Seems to me that directing big-money public contracts to those providing personal financial favors should be considered an "official act". But hey, i'm not a lawyer...

Jayfar likes this.
  8. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Yeah, I was rereading the SCOTUS decision after I typed that and since rewrote my comment. For some reason I was incorrectly thinking the decision went beyond the legal definition of official acts and required more strongly establishing direct ties between an alleged bribe and an official act.

Here's an interesting Harvard Law Review piece on the decision:

McDonnell v. United States | Harvard Law Review

#8 Jayfar, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  9. Tartan69

Yep, they couldn't establish the tie when it was obvious to everyone.

But to be fair, I have to acknowledge that those legal bars that have to be cleared are there for a very good big-picture reason.

10. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

The solution is to write better laws, as I understand Virginia did following the McDonnell case.

Tartan69 likes this.
  11. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

The feds were set to retry Green on the 2 remaining charges on which the previous jury was hung. Green decided not to try his luck this time.
    Ex-Sheriff John Green admits taking bribes: ‘I have betrayed the confidence’ of Philly citizens | Philly.com