First Amendment and Trends in Truth

Discussion in 'National' started by MackeyDingo, Jan 12, 2017.

1. MackeyDingo

MackeyDingo REALLY Well-Known Member

"President Trump, historians and consultants in both political parties agree, appears to have taken what the writer Hannah Arendt once called “the conflict between truth and politics” to an entirely new level...

“What’s different today and what’s scarier today is these lies are pointed out, and there’s evidence that they’re wrong,” she said. “And yet because of the attacks on the media, there are a percentage of people in the country who are willing to say, ‘Maybe he is telling the truth.’”"

Many Politicians Lie. But Trump Has Elevated the Art of Fabrication.

#61 MackeyDingo, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  2. MackeyDingo

3. MackeyDingo

Americans don't really seem to care much about reality though, argues the Atlantic, nor have we ever. But it has become worse.

"A third of us believe not only that global warming is no big deal but that it’s a hoax perpetrated by scientists, the government, and journalists. A third believe that our earliest ancestors were humans just like us; that the government has, in league with the pharmaceutical industry, hidden evidence of natural cancer cures; that extraterrestrials have visited or are visiting Earth. Almost a quarter believe that vaccines cause autism, and that Donald Trump won the popular vote in 2016. A quarter believe that our previous president maybe or definitely was (or is?) the anti-Christ. According to a survey by Public Policy Polling, 15 percent believe that the “media or the government adds secret mind-controlling technology to television broadcast signals,” and another 15 percent think that’s possible. A quarter of Americans believe in witches. Remarkably, the same fraction, or maybe less, believes that the Bible consists mainly of legends and fables—the same proportion that believes U.S. officials were complicit in the 9/11 attacks."

How the U.S. Lost Its Mind

4. wollstonecraft

wollstonecraft Well-Known Member

These are the consequences of a poorly educated population. It's why we've had a U.S. Senator throwing snowballs on the Senate floor because he thinks it proves that claims of global warming are a hoax.

MackeyDingo likes this.
  5. MackeyDingo

"The Department of Justice has requested information on visitors to a website used to organize protests against President Trump, the Los Angeles-based Dreamhost said in a blog postpublished on Monday.

"That information could be used to identify any individuals who used this site to exercise and express political speech protected under the Constitution's First Amendment," DreamHost wrote in the blog post on Monday. "That should be enough to set alarm bells off in anyone's mind.""

Justice demands 1.3M IP addresses related to Trump resistance site

I'll be waiting for their request from the Daily Stormer requiring the same personal and financial information on all their visitors.
    Isn't this the kind of thing Republicans we're afraid Barack Obama was going to do?
    Is this what the President's lawyer meant when he said, "this is the kind of thing they do in Russia, not America?"

#65 MackeyDingo, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Tartan69 and Jayfar like this.
  6. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

I made a point of visiting http://www.disruptj20.org just now, so that I can be sure my IP address will appear in the logs for that domain. I encourage everyone to do the same.

wollstonecraft likes this.
  7. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

I don't always (often?) agree with some (many?) of you on a number of topics, and I am very much against the base idea of disruptj20, let alone the tactics.

But this DOJ push to get IP addresses of people who visited a website is a bunch of bullsh*t. Visiting a website is not a crime.

Jayfar likes this.
  8. ShoshTrvls

ShoshTrvls Well-Known Member

I'm not quite sure why this wouldn't be plainly prohibited by the Supreme Court's decision in NAACP v. Alabama, which held that the government had no right to the NAACP's membership list as it would chill freedom of association, privacy and speech.

9. MackeyDingo

They are challenging the DOJ order, so I guess we will see if they agree.

Right now the courts are the only nonpartisan branch of the three and they are the only functioning branch of the three. How long can that last? Surely the corrupted dysfunction of the other two branches will infect the judicial. How could that not happen? That will, ultimately, be the point when we are no longer a nation of laws, and it will be time to GTFO.

10. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Good in-depth piece on Breitbart and its reclusive editor in chief

Down the Breitbart Hole | NY Times Magazine
    Steve Bannon once said it was the platform for the
    alt-right. Its current editors disagree. Is the incendiary
    media company at the nerve center of Donald
    Trump’s America simply provocative — or dangerous?

By WIL S. HYLTON AUG. 16, 2017

11. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Elected officials, social media, and the First Amendment | Philly.com
    It’s not just President Trump. Elected officials all over the United States are using Facebook and Twitter to interact with constituents.

This growing reliance on social media in public life, from small towns in central Pennsylvania to the White House — and the tendency of some politicians to block critics — has opened a new front in First Amendment law and forced states’ Right-to-Know officials to grapple with the question of whether posts on social media platforms run by politicians are public records.

[snip]

12. MackeyDingo

The president of the united states just said that the first amendment is disgusting.

All day long, the president of the United States continuing to say that he wants to trample first amendment rights.

Trump just issued a direct threat to the media - CNNPolitics

Meanwhile, his aides are concerned about his mental state.

#72 MackeyDingo, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  13. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

He's off base on this. There is no wiggle room IMO for questioning the first amendment. It makes us the country we are.

However I think the more salient question he should be asking is whether our media is indeed free and independent.

MackeyDingo likes this.
  14. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

15. Bixbyte

Bixbyte Well-Known Member

The envelope please, AND The winner of posting FAKE NEWS is FACEBOOK and GOOGLE :p
    How'd they find out Google is posting Fake News? They Googled it!

https://gizmodo.com/google-joins-facebook-in-promoting-bad-fake-election-n-1788950876

GOOGLE
    Google's Top Post About Election Results Is Complete Bullshit

Sophie Kleeman

and Google’s attempts to keep people from exploiting them has long been a game of whack-a-mole. In 2011, the company launched an update dubbed Panda to its algorithm that was designed to filter out junky sites; in 2012, it went even further and released another update called Penguin that it described as a spam-catching tool....

Screenshot from 2017-10-12 19-53-50.png

16. MackeyDingo

Facebook and Google don't create content, you simple idiot. People post on Facebook. Facebook doesn't post. Google doesn't post.

Speaking of posts, your posts are garbage. Not the kind of trash that could be another man's treasure though. Your posts are objectively worthless. Most people simply ignore you, which is to their benefit.

Another problem with your addition to this thread is Aza Raskin's pithy tweet that, "Reality is what people collectively believe"

Yesterday I saw an article about how Trump claims the original Renoir "Two Sisters" is the one in his apartment. However, the Chicago Art Institute has the original where it has hung since 1933, donated from Anne Coburn, who purchased it from the Durand-Ruel family, who purchased it from Renoir.

These are basic facts. No amount of disbelief can change them into falsehoods. No number of people is required to make Trump's painting an original.

What Aza is talking about is a Trumpist surrendering of the idea of truth and fact. That's the kind of world where I can meet you in the park and kill you, and then deny that I did so until it becomes true that I didn't. Yet you're still dead.

This is the world you inhabit. Maybe instead of calling my workplace and menacing me while I am at work, you'd like to meet for lunch in the park.

#76 MackeyDingo, Oct 19, 2017 at 11:08 AM
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017 at 2:39 PM
    Templeton and Jayfar like this.
  17. MackeyDingo

"Ignoring what one of history’s greatest examples of lying has to teach us about current examples of lying, particularly lying by the “president” of the most powerful country in the world, seems to me an act of timidity in a time of terror. It is an intentional self-blinding to avoid offending frail sensibilities.

I have neither time nor patience for such tiptoeing. I prefer the boot of truth to slam down to earth like thunder, no matter the shock of hearing its clap.

The world has seen powerful leaders use lying as a form of mass manipulation before. It is seeing it now, and it will no doubt see it again. History recycles. But the result doesn’t have to be — and hopefully never will be again — a holocaust. It can manifest as a multitude of other, lesser horrors, in both protocol and policy, including the corrosion and regression of country and culture.

That is the very real threat we are facing. Trump isn’t necessarily a direct threat to your life — unless of course you are being kept alive by health care that he keeps threatening, or if you’re in Puerto Rico reeling in the wake of two hurricanes — but he is very much a threat to your quality of life.

The only question is: Are enough Americans sufficiently discerning to understand that this time they are the ones being manipulated?"

Opinion | Trump Isn’t Hitler. But the Lying …

drewrob23 likes this.
  18. MackeyDingo

19. Bixbyte

Bixbyte Well-Known Member

YOU'RE KOO KOO CRAZY ALRIGHT
    Why bother stalking a crazy like you in the workplace?
    If I really had your phone number and name I would burn the piece of paper and throw it in the trash.
    BUT, somehow my best guess is, you frequently forget to pick up your pyscho meds at the CVS?
    Call your psychiatrist and tell her/him you think you are stalked you are bat shit crazy.

YEP, THAT'S YOU KOO KOO: