First Amendment and Trends in Truth

Discussion in 'National' started by MackeyDingo, Jan 12, 2017.

1. MackeyDingo

MackeyDingo REALLY Well-Known Member

"President Trump, historians and consultants in both political parties agree, appears to have taken what the writer Hannah Arendt once called “the conflict between truth and politics” to an entirely new level...

“What’s different today and what’s scarier today is these lies are pointed out, and there’s evidence that they’re wrong,” she said. “And yet because of the attacks on the media, there are a percentage of people in the country who are willing to say, ‘Maybe he is telling the truth.’”"

Many Politicians Lie. But Trump Has Elevated the Art of Fabrication.

#61 MackeyDingo, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  2. MackeyDingo

3. MackeyDingo

Americans don't really seem to care much about reality though, argues the Atlantic, nor have we ever. But it has become worse.

"A third of us believe not only that global warming is no big deal but that it’s a hoax perpetrated by scientists, the government, and journalists. A third believe that our earliest ancestors were humans just like us; that the government has, in league with the pharmaceutical industry, hidden evidence of natural cancer cures; that extraterrestrials have visited or are visiting Earth. Almost a quarter believe that vaccines cause autism, and that Donald Trump won the popular vote in 2016. A quarter believe that our previous president maybe or definitely was (or is?) the anti-Christ. According to a survey by Public Policy Polling, 15 percent believe that the “media or the government adds secret mind-controlling technology to television broadcast signals,” and another 15 percent think that’s possible. A quarter of Americans believe in witches. Remarkably, the same fraction, or maybe less, believes that the Bible consists mainly of legends and fables—the same proportion that believes U.S. officials were complicit in the 9/11 attacks."

How the U.S. Lost Its Mind

4. wollstonecraft

wollstonecraft Well-Known Member

These are the consequences of a poorly educated population. It's why we've had a U.S. Senator throwing snowballs on the Senate floor because he thinks it proves that claims of global warming are a hoax.

MackeyDingo likes this.
  5. MackeyDingo

"The Department of Justice has requested information on visitors to a website used to organize protests against President Trump, the Los Angeles-based Dreamhost said in a blog postpublished on Monday.

"That information could be used to identify any individuals who used this site to exercise and express political speech protected under the Constitution's First Amendment," DreamHost wrote in the blog post on Monday. "That should be enough to set alarm bells off in anyone's mind.""

Justice demands 1.3M IP addresses related to Trump resistance site

I'll be waiting for their request from the Daily Stormer requiring the same personal and financial information on all their visitors.
    Isn't this the kind of thing Republicans we're afraid Barack Obama was going to do?
    Is this what the President's lawyer meant when he said, "this is the kind of thing they do in Russia, not America?"

#65 MackeyDingo, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Tartan69 and Jayfar like this.
  6. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

I made a point of visiting http://www.disruptj20.org just now, so that I can be sure my IP address will appear in the logs for that domain. I encourage everyone to do the same.

7. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

I don't always (often?) agree with some (many?) of you on a number of topics, and I am very much against the base idea of disruptj20, let alone the tactics.

But this DOJ push to get IP addresses of people who visited a website is a bunch of bullsh*t. Visiting a website is not a crime.

Jayfar likes this.
  8. ShoshTrvls

ShoshTrvls Well-Known Member

I'm not quite sure why this wouldn't be plainly prohibited by the Supreme Court's decision in NAACP v. Alabama, which held that the government had no right to the NAACP's membership list as it would chill freedom of association, privacy and speech.

9. MackeyDingo

They are challenging the DOJ order, so I guess we will see if they agree.

Right now the courts are the only nonpartisan branch of the three and they are the only functioning branch of the three. How long can that last? Surely the corrupted dysfunction of the other two branches will infect the judicial. How could that not happen? That will, ultimately, be the point when we are no longer a nation of laws, and it will be time to GTFO.

10. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

Good in-depth piece on Breitbart and its reclusive editor in chief

Down the Breitbart Hole | NY Times Magazine
    Steve Bannon once said it was the platform for the
    alt-right. Its current editors disagree. Is the incendiary
    media company at the nerve center of Donald
    Trump’s America simply provocative — or dangerous?

By WIL S. HYLTON AUG. 16, 2017