F--- Facebook!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChiefSalsa, May 17, 2012.

1. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

vampyre927 likes this.
  2. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

3. fiveomar

fiveomar Well-Known Member

Facebook is a garbage piece of software; lots of glitches and the privacy is terrible- literally anyone can see what you've commented on or "liked" even if you don't want that to be displayed (there is literally no option to prevent this).

Facebook hasn't been overthrown yet because they have critical mass/too large a user base. But their time will eventually come.

Hospitalitygirl and vampyre927 like this.
  4. phillyaggie

phillyaggie Well-Known Member

wow! what a zombie thread revival! haha

i thought Chief Salsa started posting here again?
    what's he up to now a days? still in utah?

CHIOSSO likes this.
  5. ShoshTrvls

ShoshTrvls Well-Known Member

If you were his friend on Facebook, you'd know the answers to those questions. :)

6. OakmontGuy

OakmontGuy NE Philadelphia Proud!

I've never "had" "A Facebook", and never will. I'm a certified technophile and most folks would expect someone like me to have one of the oldest accounts on there. Nope.

It does make for some interesting conversations, though. One person accused me of being a spy or using a false identity because they couldn't find me on there. Others have tried to "convert" me: "You don't know what you're missing! It's SO great! Blah blah blah."

It IS extremely useful as a forensics tool, for both good and evil purposes. For example, when it comes to job applicants, you can get answers for a lot of questions that you're...not allowed to ask anymore. And if you happen to rob houses, it makes finding out when people are on/will be going on vacation pretty darn easy.

We won't even go into how easy it is to gain information for use in social engineering attacks from Facebook. If you have even a fraction of the skills of a "Kevin Mitnick," Facebook is truly your friend.

7. MarketStEl

MarketStEl Will Work for Food, But Prefers Cash

Yes, still in Utah. I got a note from him via ... Facebook Messenger ... earlier this week. Something about some other Sandy Smith.

8. phillyaggie

phillyaggie Well-Known Member

Good stuff.
    I'm happy to be on Facebook and at least be online friends with many of you; we may not meet often and some I've in fact never met even though we've exchanged quite a few conversations online!

yeah, i guess i'm not friends with chief salsa on facebook. i don't know his real name.

9. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

10. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

11. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

12. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

13. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

14. boognish

boognish Well-Known Member

These articles make me very happy I've refused to join Facebook.

My wife's sister-in-law couldn't believe we weren't going to post pics of our kid when she was born.

"But how will we get to see her?!" uhhh...we'll send you a picture in the mail, or maybe one to your email/phone.

If I haven't reached out to a particular person in the almost 30 years since I graduated from high school, odds are that I have no interest in taking to them now.

15. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Facebook in freefall as weak outlook stuns market | Daily Maverick

After-hours trade saw Facebook shares plunge by some 21 percent, wiping out an estimated $130 billion in market value if the slump is confirmed at Thursday’s market opening.

The second-quarter report sparked initial selling after it showed revenue and user growth came up short of expectations.

Profit was up 31 percent in the second quarter at $5.1 billion; revenues rose 42 percent to $13.2 billion, slightly below most forecasts.

Selling pressure accelerated when chief financial officer David Wehner warned in a call with analysts of a weaker outlook in the coming quarter.

Wehner said revenue growth “decelerated” in the second quarter and will decline “by high single digit percentages” and added that “we are also giving people who use our services more choices around data privacy which may have an impact on our revenue growth.”

On the call, Jefferies & Co. analyst Brent Thill said that “many investors are having a hard time reconciling that deceleration… It just seems like the magnitude is beyond anything we’ve seen.”

Ross Gerber, an analyst at Gerber Kawasaki, said the latest figures suggest that the tide may be turning for Facebook and other social networks.

“Social Media has peaked,” Gerber said on Twitter. “We told you last qtr and now we’re seeing it.”

[snip]

Facebook’s Record Selloff Drags Down Other Tech Stocks | Bloomberg

#137 Jayfar, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  16. Malloy

Malloy Administrator
    Staff Member

Forums are coming back! :rolleyes:

Sean, Tartan69, Jayfar and 1 other person like this.
  17. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Delay, Deny and Deflect: How Facebook’s Leaders Fought Through Crisis | NYTimes.com

By Sheera Frenkel, Nicholas Confessore, Cecilia Kang, Matthew Rosenberg and Jack Nicas
    Nov. 14, 2018

Sheryl Sandberg was seething.

Inside Facebook’s Menlo Park, Calif., headquarters, top executives gathered in the glass-walled conference room of its founder, Mark Zuckerberg. It was September 2017, more than a year after Facebook engineers discovered suspicious Russia-linked activity on its site, an early warning of the Kremlin campaign to disrupt the 2016 American election. Congressional and federal investigators were closing in on evidence that would implicate the company.

But it wasn’t the looming disaster at Facebook that angered Ms. Sandberg. It was the social network’s security chief, Alex Stamos, who had informed company board members the day before that Facebook had yet to contain the Russian infestation. Mr. Stamos’s briefing had prompted a humiliating boardroom interrogation of Ms. Sandberg, Facebook’s chief operating officer, and her billionaire boss. She appeared to regard the admission as a betrayal.

“You threw us under the bus!” she yelled at Mr. Stamos, according to people who were present.

The clash that day would set off a reckoning — for Mr. Zuckerberg, for Ms. Sandberg and for the business they had built together. In just over a decade, Facebook has connected more than 2.2 billion people, a global nation unto itself that reshaped political campaigns, the advertising business and daily life around the world. Along the way, Facebook accumulated one of the largest-ever repositories of personal data, a treasure trove of photos, messages and likes that propelled the company into the Fortune 500.

[snip]

While Mr. Zuckerberg conducted a public apology tour in the last year, Ms. Sandberg has overseen an aggressive lobbying campaign to combat Facebook’s critics, shift public anger toward rival companies and ward off damaging regulation. Facebook employed a Republican opposition-research firm to discredit activist protesters, in part by linking them to the liberal financier George Soros. It also tapped its business relationships, persuading a Jewish civil rights group to cast some criticism of the company as anti-Semitic.

[snip]

Also: Facebook Failed to Police How Its Partners Handled User Data | NYTimes.com

#139 Jayfar, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  18. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Oops, busted!

Facebook Cuts Ties With Washington Firm That Sought to Discredit Social Network’s Critics | NYTimes.com

SAN FRANCISCO — Facebook said Thursday that it had ended its relationship with a Washington-based consulting firm, Definers Public Affairs, which spread disparaging information about the social network’s critics and competitors.

The move followed a New York Times article on Wednesday that described the kind of work that Definers did on Facebook’s behalf. Among other things, Definers worked to discredit activist protesters that were against Facebook, in part by linking them to the liberal financier George Soros. It also tried to deflect criticism of the social network by pressing reporters to look into rivals like Google.

Late Wednesday, Facebook decided to terminate its relationship with Definers after the publication of the Times article prompted an outcry, said a person familiar with the matter, who was not authorized to speak publicly. Top Facebook executives including Mark Zuckerberg and Sheryl Sandberg were not aware of the specific work being done by Definers, the person said.

[snip]