Even more business coming to Girard

Discussion in 'Fishtown / Northern Liberties / Kensington / Port ' started by Mustard, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Mustard

Mustard Well-Known Member

2. New2Fishtown

New2Fishtown Well-Known Member

speaking of that area...

...I noticed there's a retail space for rent sign in the double-wide space on the 100 block of girard that housed the "soup restaurant" drug front place that was only open for three hours a day on every other Tuesday. Not hard to picture a nice redo of that space with doors/windows opening out onto the street.

3. cafeguy

cafeguy Well-Known Member

Soup guy definitely wasn't a drug front - just a bad businessman. I miss his soups.

A dentist just came in between second and third.

A music shop is opening up next to the dentist place.

A store front between germantown and second is just finished being built and will become offices.

The cafe opened, then closed, then changed to some cake/coffee place near the EL.

South side between front and second is a muslim clothing store.

It's great to see everything come to life!!!

4. loveisnoise

loveisnoise Well-Known Member

A restaurant is also opening up where penn treaty mart originally started on the corner of F&G. Should be interesting to see what that is.

5. BarryG

BarryG Well-Known Member

It's a branch of Colexico out of New York. They are opening one on south street too.

6. JePense

JePense Well-Known Member

Start the murder countdown!

7. loveisnoise

loveisnoise Well-Known Member

Yes... the guy from penn treaty filled me in but I didn't want to make their business public until everything was official. But thanks.

And they are having some problems at the south street location and have not yet gotten the complete graces from the zoing gods for f&g, which again, is why I generalized.

8. New2Fishtown

Also noticed that the building at f&g has a new For Sale sign on it. Is the current owner just trying to leverage the new tenant, or is Calexico in more serious trouble? Their interminable construction at their South Street location makes me nervous.

9. Kent

Kent Active Member

It has been in the news for almost a year now... I was wondering what had happened to it.

Mexican restaurant to set up on Fishtown corner

There seem to be a lot of Mexican/taco places popping up starting with Union Taco in the west and ending up over there at Colexico/Sancho Pistola's.

10. thetalkingmule

thetalkingmule Well-Known Member

I thought the new Penn Treaty restaurant fell through?

11. cafeguy

just talked to the owner of the soup joint. he found a tenant... an herbal store.

12. BarryG

BarryG Well-Known Member

It's been on blogs for months, including renderings of the facade. It's no secret.

13. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

The Union Taco experiment is over....

Northern Liberties Taqueria to Be Converted Into Pop-Up Incubator-Style Restaurant | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Union Taco in Northern Liberties to be converted into incubator restaurant - Philadelphia Business Journal

I like this concept as a way to spin off even more places to get this food after they are liked.

But $50 per person? The hipsters really know how to jack up the prices.

14. Cro Burnham

Cro Burnham Well-Known Member

Apparently a shooting outside the strip joint at Front & Girard. Can a place be closed down? What a blight on society.

15. cafeguy

The new gold club has been open for a couple years now with no trouble and they also have a normal place downtown. I don't go to strip clubs, but they really don't seem to be a problem.

As for Union Taco... good... that place sucked anyway. Go to Taco Riendo, a place which has been open in the neighborhood for almost a decade and beats out any taco place for its beautiful interior and great food. As for pop up restaruants, $50 is a little bit much... especially for that location, but its nots all that much more. When they do these things, its limited tables, only one or two seatings, and ends up being a shoe string budget.

16. zeolite

zeolite Banned

Yeah it was after 2am closing time, never a good idea to be out and about pretty much anywhere, but especially someplace like that.

17. New2Fishtown

It just came across my desk that Tower Investments has sold the Acme/PLCB/Royal Bank/ Unleashed center at 2nd and Girard to The Sterling Organization for $10.2M. The deal transacted in December. I know nothing about Sterling other than what I see on their website. It would appear this is their first acquisition in PA.

18. MNG1324

MNG1324 Well-Known Member

I'm assuming that acquisition doesn't include any of the other land around that at one time they planned high rise residential projects.

19. Frejo

Frejo Well-Known Member

I thought Blatstein sold it to Kushner, the Donald's Son-in-Law. Maybe he is divesting?

20. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

21. thetalkingmule

thetalkingmule Well-Known Member

I believe the Piazza, Lib Walk and oval building went to Kushner. Bart still owned everything else. If he sold the whole ACME property, I'd imagine the planned condo building lots were sold to too. Would be interested in finding out.

22. Frejo

Frejo Well-Known Member

I think you are right. I thought the whole deal included everything.

23. New2Fishtown

The info I saw came off of RCA (a commecial sales database subscription service). The terms of the deal mentioned only the shopping center itself, and the square footage and tenants contained within that shopping center. Without any specific notes about the inclusion of the adjacent development parcel, I'd guess that Tower sold off the existing building on its own, perhaps to get some cash to proceed with building out of the vacant lot.