E..A...G...L...E...S! EAGLES!!!

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Sports' started by Hospitalitygirl, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

Something I wasn't sure I would ever see...

Congratulations Eagles!

Burholme06 and Jayfar like this.
  2. Burholme06

Burholme06 Well-Known Member

Finally! It still hasn't really sunk in yet for me.

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  3. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

+1 Ritz Carlton awning

Hospitalitygirl and Jayfar like this.
  4. lemonfresh

lemonfresh Well-Known Member

Check out the coverage in papers around the country and also in Canada, Mexico, and Nicaragua: Today's Front Pages | Newseum
    It's front-page news in a lot of places. The New Orleans Times-Picayune gave over their whole first page to the Eagles.
    You have to look at it today because it will change tomorrow.

5. OldMama

OldMama Finally retired. Newly married. Kids are gone.

True confession: I'm not much of a football fan. This was the only Super Bowl I ever watched. I am; however, a native Philadelphian. I found myself getting excited, even hopeful. The Eagles back story was irresistible- earnest young quarterback is on a roll until he is injured, thought to be washed-up but equally earnest young quarterback takes his place, and the rest is history. (I've seen it on stage- 42nd Street.) Add in the smug opposition. I couldn't resist.

Second true confession: I know football. I was the daughter of a football referee. I've been dragged to high school games my whole life. I've watched TV games with a referee. My youngest brother was All Catholic. I went to Penn State Main. I know the hand signals and I spot the penalties. I just don't enjoy watching anymore.

So I heard that the refs favor Boston. Maybe. I didn't really notice. Because I was so PISSED OFF at the idiot announcer, the Collingworth guy. He did realize that there were two teams on the field, right? All I heard was Pats, Pats, Brady, Brady, Brady. Eagles score-he talks about Brady, the last minute, he goes on and on about what Brady has to do to win. Not how close the Eagles were to wining a Super Bowl, just Brady. Then when the Eagles did win, near silence. What a turd. The man has a hard on for Brady. I hope they're very happy together. But I'm going to a parade.

Burholme06, Scoats, OKT3 and 2 others like this.
  6. Tartan69

Collingsworth is awful. I'd take Tony Romo as a rookie color analyst any day over him. Heck I'd even take Troy Aikman.

Although they are all better than Gruden.

7. OldMama

I don't know any of the national alternatives to Collingsworth. I may have to resort to Merrill Reese if I ever watch again, even though he gives me a headache. With my dad, we turned sound off and he called the game.

8. Tartan69

Merrill is play by play...Mike Quick does color on that team

9. OldMama

I think I'll just turn the sound off. Maybe play some music. Or stick to baseball.

10. Tartan69

Tom McCarthy is absolute nails on a chalkboard to me. I miss Harry.

11. OKT3

OKT3 Garager

Same here! I'm not a big sports fan, but I like to see our teams win, and my mother is a big Eagles fan. I said the SAME THING about that guy. At first I thought it was just me, because I usually don't watch these things in their entirety. So I was txting back and forth with my mom, like "what's with this d-bag?" and she said she watches with the sound off, because they're anti-Eagles, lol. Then I saw similar comments on Deadspin, so I knew I wasn't crazy. I couldn't believe how he was laying out all those impossible scenarios for the Pats to win, in those last minutes! Ridiculous. I remember feeling the same way about that Joe Buck guy when the Phillies were winning. Then I found out the city collectively hates him for that reason, lol. I knew I wasn't imagining it!

12. OldMama

I agree about Tom. His constant stream of data makes me want to scream. As far as color, I miss Sarge. I have to say, I don't enjoy Mike Schmitt. He's a downer. But then, I'm old so I really miss Richie Ashburn, Bill Campbell, and By Saam!

Tartan69 likes this.
  13. OldMama

This non-football fan went to the parade and had a great time! Walked from home to Broad and Christian and back home. Happy crowd.

#13 OldMama, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Debbie and Hospitalitygirl like this.
  14. MackeyDingo

MackeyDingo REALLY Well-Known Member

What does the name of you his thread refer to? I’ve never heard this phrase before.

Anyone have any ideas?

15. OldMama

Mackey, I don't understand your question.

16. Elliott87

Elliott87 Well-Known Member

/S I assume

17. Hospitalitygirl

You've confirmed what I've always suspected...Misanthrope!

18. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Last week will be remembered as a great week..till the Flyers win the cup again.

19. Hospitalitygirl

Actually, I think the Eagles' win occupies a strata all its own. The other teams have all won at least one championship, so it's not so unprecedented.

20. Burholme06

Burholme06 Well-Known Member

HGirl, don’t buy into the media and Johnny-come-lately organizations that will tell you that pre-SB era championships don’t mean anything. This championship was the Eagles 4th Championship but obviously the first of the SB era. The “Mighty” Steelers didn’t win a championship until the SB era (a 40+ year wait for their first championship). The first year of the Cowboys franchise, the eagles would win the Championship that year (1960), marking it their third Championship in 12 years. The NFL has a storied history going back to the 1920’s and have been in a Conference format since the Birds inception in 1933.

Hospitalitygirl and Jayfar like this.
  21. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

And once they broke through, they kept on winning SBs. Maybe that can happen with the Eagles as well.

Per wikipedia: Pittsburgh has won more Super Bowl titles (6) and both played in (16) and hosted more conference championship games (11) than any other NFL team.

Pittsburgh Steelers - Wikipedia

22. Nytecat

Nytecat Well-Known Member

Wow, that was a fun game. If anything, it had too much offense. But most viewers would rather see a game full of exciting plays than a defensive quagmire full of punts and three and outs. But I digress.

When the Eagles punched their ticket to the big game, I was happy Fox didn’t have the Super Bowl this year. No Joe Buck! Then I listened to hours of Collinsworth pulling for the Pats and why those touchdowns needed to be overturned. Whatever. Since then I found some clips of the Patriots’ radio broadcast and their guys were less biased against the Eagles.