Dredging the Delaware: go or no go?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phillyaggie, Dec 6, 2009.

?

Should the Delaware be dredged deeper to 45 ft and more?

1. yes, dredge it to 45 ft or even 50 ft to compete with other Eastern seaboard ports

88.6%
  2. no, positive economic impacts are uncertain while environmental damage is big and certain

6.3%
  3. don't know/don't care

5.1%
  1. Naveen

Naveen Well-Known Member

What really makes this useful IMO is the widening of the Panama Canal set for 2014. Right now the port of LA is so busy b/c all the imports from China have to be sent via portage to the East.

2. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

If we're doing this, we should go all out and dig the extra 5 feet, to make this a 50" channel, which will provide a future market as well. I really hate perennially being a day late and a dollar short on important issues like these.

3. Naveen

Naveen Well-Known Member

Ha! As if taunting us that they're always one step ahead, NYC is going to 50'.

Screw it, let's do 55' ;)

4. raider.adam

raider.adam Well-Known Member

And dump our dirt in NY to bring them back to 40.

"Hey NJ, we solved the waste disposal problem."

5. billy ross

billy ross Well-Known Member

I'm a huge believer in going to 50'. Just yesterday I crossed the Verrazano then the Bayonne Bridge and I was checking out the layout of the New York ports. However, 45 is better than 40. Let's get that done first. Then hopefully the traffic will increase enough to justify going the extra 5 feet. Until then they can play games with the tides to make 45' work. Most ships won't go past 48' anyway for quite awhile, so 45 won't be particularly obsolete.

Remember that Penn's Landing has always been all or nothing, and that Rome wasn't built in a day. We need to get Southport built now to justify both 45 and 50 feet. That's the next step after 45'. I saw the land getting cleared on Friday.

#155 billy ross, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  6. thoth

thoth I LOOK LIKE THIS

So the last leg to Philly is underway...what of the Southport expansion? Does the port have enough traffic at present to justify a major expansion?

7. billy ross

Yes. What I find to be interesting is that the new Philly - Europe express service stops once on the North American continent (Philly) then makes stops in Rotterdam, Antwerp, and Germany, England, and Portugal? I know our transportation networks are more robust than in Europe, but that's a crazy number of port calls for one continent . Along those lines, I calculate that 25% of the Philly load is for the Midwest. It'll be great if Philly can build volume by servicing the Midwest. And I love the express service to Rotterdam, which is the largest port in Europe. It should really differentiate Philly's port and drive traffic to here. We still need to finance Southport, but the Chile, Mexico, Rotterdam nexus should really drive us to the next level.

What stops will they make in Chile and Peru? The Mexico service is Veracruz - Philly, I believe. It'd be nice if the told us the actual route.

New route brings cargo to Philly via bigger Panama Canal and 'Panamax' ships

#157 billy ross, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    fiveomar likes this.
  8. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

9. MNG1324

MNG1324 Well-Known Member

So it's a no go for an energy hub at Southport.

phillyaggie likes this.
  10. billy ross

Southport is up in the air. Which means that PIDC may claw it back from the port. Although it does seem that more berths are needed. How many berths does Packer have and is there room for more? I suspect that Southport is onhold until regular Far East service is secured.

I hope that this $300m will help secure the Far East service. I also hope that Trump changes the rules to favor American shipping so that the Jones Act can be dramatically expanded. Only a tiny percentage of the ships that call on Philly are Jones Act ships and if that number skyrocketed we'd need more land for ship construction. There was once a time when it was very advantageous for ships plying the Seven Seas to be American. Obviously the globalist crowd made sure that time was very long ago, but it could easily be brought back. Any thinking person would conclude that it's patently ridiculous the supposed home ports of the ships that call on Philly.

#161 billy ross, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  11. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

12. phillyaggie

phillyaggie Well-Known Member

Philly port even after the dredging, has remained a niche port. But that's fine, I suppose. Better than having much smaller port or loss of service. At least Philly still gets cars, paper, fruits, and some Puerto Rico traffic.

13. Sean

Sean Well-Known Member

The Wall Street Journal had an article today (behind a paywall) on the impact felt by East Coast ports due to the Panama Canal expansion. Our port was not listed, instead the focus was on New York and Savannah, as the top two container ports on the East Coast. Both of those ports have seen or are expecting to see 10% increase in container traffic. One bright note for us was in the article linked from eldondre, but I have not been able to find any more recent stats on the if the 28% increase has continued or was an anomaly.

Philadelphia port sees growth in cargo imports
    It would be really good for us if we can continue to see that kind of growth, and move away from our status as a niche port.

14. Politburo

Politburo Well-Known Member