Disposing of a car

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by boognish, Nov 13, 2017.

1. boognish

boognish Well-Known Member

Not sure if I should post this here, but I thought I'd give it a shot. Feel free to move it, mods.

Anyhoo, the transmission on our 2004 Acura MDX went. Seems like it's a very common problem with MDX's that they just crap out around 190k (which is almost exactly what we have. I need to get rid of it before the end of the month. The lousy thing is that I had the timing belt replaced last year, so the engine is actually in great shape...it's just the transmission. We have another car, and honestly, we don't need two, so I'm happy to get rid of it. I'd love for it to go to someone who would be willing to either rebuild the transmission or put a new one in, but I really just need to get rid of it in the next few weeks.

I've never had a "dead car" on my hands before. Does anyone have a good garage or hell even a junkyard that they're familiar with where I can get rid of this? I've got a bunch of names off google, but I'd rather go with someone's friend or what have you.

Thanks for reading.

2. Templeton

Templeton Well-Known Member

Those "we buy junk cars" signs are pretty legit. I had a 1995 Maxima that I had towed away. They gave me $500 cash for it. Came and got in less than 24 hours.

boognish likes this.
  3. OldMama

OldMama Finally retired. Newly married. Kids are gone.

I would caution you against Craig's list. When I was selling my car, I stupidly tried that. My only responses were people with heavy accents who wanted to give me cash if I gave them the title and the car. No transfer of tags, no tax, etc. I eventually sold it on Autotrader but that is probably a bit more than you want to spend on this particular car.

boognish likes this.
  4. boognish

boognish Well-Known Member

5. Christal Leveque

In our case, my husband usually sell his car thru a car agent friend. He even assisted us with it but of course, we usually give him a commission for helping us to sell.

6. fiveomar

fiveomar Well-Known Member

So you had people who legitimately wanted to buy the car, and that's a problem why? A seller is not required to transfer the title or administer the sales tax, that's on the buyer to deal with. If it makes you feel better, you can take a photo of their ID so you know who you're selling to, and get a signed bill of sale.

I've had nothing but good luck selling cars (or anything else for that matter) on craigslist. Just like anything else, due diligence (mostly on the payment if you're a seller).

To the OP- don't give it away for free, it's worth at least $500.

#6 fiveomar, Nov 21, 2017 at 2:54 PM
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017 at 3:01 PM
  7. Elliott87

Elliott87 Active Member

If the money is not that important consider giving the car away.

I had a 1992 Stanza in 2004. It was still in OK shape with about 140,000 miles on it. I had kept it as a second car, but found it just sat there and I was forced to drive it every once in a while just to keep it charged. It began to bug me that I was paying insurance on a car I never drove. I decided to sell it, but did not look forward to going through the hassle.

I had a get together at my house, when one of my old neighbors mentioned her car just died and now she had to find a new one. She was around 20 years old and just starting her career, so money was tight. I have known her since she was 10 and she is the sweetest kid.

Anyway I told her the car was her's if she wanted it. She drove that car for 5 more years, and thanked me every time I ran across her. A few years back I was invited to her wedding, and she introduced me to her friends as the guy who gave her the Stanza. That car was the group's trusty junker, and they had many stories including all getting together, as they finally had it towed away for good.

If I had sold it, what better could I have done with the money?

Jayfar likes this.
  8. O.H. Lee

O.H. Lee Well-Known Member

You are making it a little more simple than it actually is. A seller is required to provide a signed title that is notarized. Most times this is completed at a tags dealer when the purchaser applies for a new title and gets a pink slip.

Anyone who sells a car without seeing the title submitted for reassignment is foolish.

And in OldMama’s case they were not “legitimately” trying to buy her car if they wanted it with an open title and the registration plates along with the car.

9. OldMama

OldMama Finally retired. Newly married. Kids are gone.

You can sell a car anyway you want, it's true, but I wanted to be absolutely sure that nothing that happened to that car could come back to me. My husband turned over a title in a parking lot and was burdened for years with unpaid parking tickets. The new owners never went through with transferring the title.

Also the Craig's List offers were $2000 below asking. I wasn't willing to go that low. I ended up getting full price on AutoTrader.

Jayfar likes this.