Development in Francisville

Discussion in 'Fairmount / Spring Garden / Francisville' started by eldondre, Jun 25, 2009.

1. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

proof that the sun does shine on a dog's ass once in a while
    http://www.philadelphiaspeaks.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=33462
    bross, for another interesting contrast, stand at Broad and Melon. look south at the offices for PCA, Lofts 640, then turn east, underutilized buildings including a labor union and dumpy chinese takout, and auto tags, then the boarded up divine lorraine, as you turn north, there's PNC, a cool old building with a corner store and check cashing, a dumpy and cheap produce/seafood store to your east. then look down melon st and see what's one block west.

at any rate
    Builders battle for North Philly block | PhillyDeals | 06/16/2009
    then
    PhillyDeals: Both sides float goals to regulate financial structure | Philadelphia Inquirer | 06/17/2009

2. cwd22

cwd22 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see what Onion Flats could do in Francisville. What I've seen from the Hankin Group however is barely distinguisable from any other suburban developer.

3. eldondre

do they have any city developments? I'm kind of torn. The onion flats are interesting, but not something I'd be interested in. I prefer more traditional spaces, I'm not an artist. OTOH, it may be beyond my means anyway. Both of them sound like a lot of units, I'd that it would be all townhomes. Wish I could find some designs. there's probably space for both in francisville.

4. eldondre

well, they went with grape flats, much to my chagrin. The Hankin/Sherman proposal sounded more like something I'd like to live in. Francisville is one neighborhood where "green space" and even community gardens are not in short supply. this project is across the street from a park. worse, the onion flats essentially wants a subsidy for the property.
    Old or New Philadelphia? Francisville decides; will the City hear us? | Plan Philly: Planning Philadelphia's Future

wish I knew pricing...Also, I take issue witth the statement that this is the only large parcel. there is a similar sized parcel at Broad/Fairmount/Ridge. I think the onion flats building might be more appropriate there where there is more a need for "green space" ...they could probably even put in a bigger building.

#4 eldondre, Jun 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  5. billy ross

billy ross Well-Known Member

Broad and Melon is in Spring Garden, not Francisville. My friend is building new construction right there.

6. billy ross

Who would get the $900k? How much did it cost the present owner to acquire the site? It would seem foolhardy to turn down just under $1m given the budgetary problems all governments are having nowadays. Philly has tremendous amounts of open space, North Philly especially so. It's not like we're talking about downtown Manayunk here.

7. eldondre

I'm aware of that Dartmouth, it doesn't stop it from being an interesting contrast.
    present owner=the city. I agree with you though certainly seems foolhardy. that money, intelligently spent, could fix up the park and put sidewalks back onto ridge ave in francisville.

8. 3rd&Brown

3rd&Brown Well-Known Member

although i respect tim mcdonald...i think it would have been nice for hankin to get the nod. they were one of the first suburban developers to stress walkable communities and sustainable development in the burbs. also...if they built the project and it was a success...it would only encourage them to build more in the city. and what the city certainly needs more of now is companies which are willing to develop here. they are probably intrigued by toll's success in graduate hospital and are willing to take the risk on their own. plus they have deep pockets.

onion flats is over-committed at this point and under-funded. many of their approved developments in northern liberties are still just a pipe dream even though they own the land or are working with other developers who own the land.

i don't see onion flats being able to move forward with this project in terms of capital and funding. too many of their approved developments remain unbuilt at this point. it seems sort of silly to approve more for them when other parties are capable of coming in and starting work sooner.

9. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan Well-Known Member

10. eldondre

so there's not room in Philadelphia's future for two styles?
    IDK about cliched, but some detaild brickwork such as that going in on the 160o block of fairmount would be nice.

interesting, that's why it's vineyard st
    this is disturbing, one element to the exlusion of all others is the very definition of extremism
    either way, it will be good for the area though.

11. eldondre

wow, the city made the rght decision and went with the money and the guy who has financing
    Phila taps Hankin over residents' choice Onion Flats for Francisville job | PhillyDeals | 07/24/2009

Wow, Penelope isn't busting a gasket. could it be that this community group is reasonable? now only if they can annex to the divine lorraine.

12. cwd22

cwd22 Well-Known Member

I prefer the way the Hankin proposal fronts the street, but I do wish the design was a bit more progressive. But as long as they use decent materials and don't try to completely rip off turn of the century designs I'll be happy.

13. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

This is excellent news. I'd have preferred the more interesting Onion Flats design, but really Francisville is lucky to see this huge parcel finally developed.

14. eldondre

It really kind of irked me that McDonald said the fact that Hankin was willing to pay $900k to the city for the land shouldn't have been a factor. in a tight budget, if the city gives away land, it means they have to raise taxes elsewhere, so it's a subsidy. I think Philadelphia needs to get away from that. Moreover, supposedly Hankin has the money to build, while Grape Flats was only a design, with no financing in hand. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Esp since both are pretty good proposals in their own right. I believe the Hankin proposal also includes a cafe which, if done right, could be nice. I do wish the design was a little more interesting but I also think open space isn't what Francisville needs right now.

15. johnnie

johnnie F the Eagles

The park is still going to be right across the street. Open space wasn't needed at all.

16. eldondre

the only thing I'd like to see that wasn't mentioned is an attempt to save the trees on 19th. they'll be putting me in the ground before any new trees provide that much shade.FWIW, I do think the triangular property on ridge (17th?) with one tiny building on it would make a great little park...benches, fountain, that sort of thing.

17. raider.adam

raider.adam Well-Known Member

If someone is going to do it while giving the City a $900K check, I am all for it.

As for Penny Giles, I know her and she is good people.

18. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Yes, mature trees are always a loss. Recently I watched several being cut down presumably as the property owners didn't want to deal with "dirty' trees. They were perfectly healthy. The Horticultural Society ought to be brought in to evaluate them.

19. raider.adam

If they were not given permission to cut down the trees, they can actually get in trouble as fairmount park "owns" the sidewalk trees. As I was told, you can't just cut down the trees in front of your house.

20. eldondre

that's a double edged sword as I've heard that ou are also not allowed to maintain the trees, so if FPC doesn't trim them, you're up the creek. of course, if FPC were funded...

21. raider.adam

Well, they do have a volunteer "tree tenders" program, so it may be a situation if you go to the class so you properly know how to care. Of course, I am guessing FPC has better things to do than go after people properly trimming trees. Obviously a different scenario when people are cutting them down.

#21 raider.adam, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  22. stock

stock Well-Known Member

Yeah, like Peco. Those guys come in and butcher the trees. My girlfriend is a tree tender and we will walk down the street and she will point out the stuff they do wrong. They just take a chain saw and cut in the middle of a branch. Seems like no thought goes into it.

23. billy ross

New day, new way. Maybe the city learned from the experience in EF. We went for the pie in the sky dream, twice, and now we have an ugly vacant building at our gateway to the Falls Bridge, with the possibility of a reform school on the second half of the redevelopment site. Sometimes it is important that you choose what will actually get built.

24. brandywine

brandywine Well-Known Member

I heard the pricing will range from the mid $200,000's for a condo to @$350,000 for a townhouse.

There are also 10% of the units targeted to those making 150% - 80% of median income. The mortgage amount for those units would be @$1200/month including taxes, insurance......

Sounds like a good deal for working folks who want to live in new construction.

25. eldondre

noticed someone is applying to demolish the old gas station at 16th & fairmount to build four three story apartment buildings with parking (sounds like in back)...perhaps like the new building on the 1600 block. hope it goes through. nice to see some vacant properties come back to life
    edited to add street

#25 eldondre, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  26. phillyfanatic

phillyfanatic Well-Known Member

27. hammersklavier

hammersklavier A Fortnight Dead

Fairmount. Like you know that really wide street dividing Fairmount and Francisville?

28. Seanibus

Seanibus Well-Known Member

On my map, that's Corinthian's job.

29. brandywine

brandywine Well-Known Member

The Loonstyn Brothers are constructiin 6 townhouses on the site. They will be going to ZBA next week for approval. They are to start construction in the fall.

30. #1MetsFan

#1MetsFan Well-Known Member

On my map, there is no 16th and Corinthian.