Crazy front lawn vegetable gardens

Discussion in 'Northeast Philadelphia' started by Argenta, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Ducky58888

Ducky58888 Well-Known Member

I'd prefer to see what you just described over the plastic flowers! That is just silly. Plant a real garden! lol I just think people need to use common sense and a little bit better choices when choosing what materials they use on the front of the property. I have seen some pretty awful front yard gardens.

2. caL

caL Well-Known Member

FTR I never agreed with you - I prefer lawn to gardens. But you were right; to each his own.

Now you just sound selfish. If your neighbor approached you with an issue of your out-of-place garden, your response would be to move? There are unwritten rules when living up against so many people. Maybe its you who shouldn't be living in an urban area.

3. slickvic277

slickvic277 Well-Known Member

I think there's a lot of people here who are making comments but have never seen one of these so-called"gardens".There's one across the street from my parents house and it looks like ****.In the summer the plants are 4-5' high,cover every square inch of the property,tied together with rope,twine,string,fishing line,held up with broken pieces of furniture,wood that looks trash picked,closed in with chicken wire and sections of fence that looked like they were found in a dump.
    In the "off" season it's just piles of mud and dirt that cover the concrete and street when it rains.There was a couple of years when it wasn't used and it became a giant weed bed that was the home to all types of wild life.
    It amazes me that this is aloud to go on,when clip gave me a citation for the weed(yes singular)that grew out of my rain spout when I was on vacation a couple of summers ago.
    Now I'm not against someone who wants to put a garden on the front of there property but it should be done in a fashion that improves the look of the property and the neighborhood.It should not look like a south east asian ghetto.

4. Mayfair101

Mayfair101 Well-Known Member

Wow Geno you moved? Did you leave Philly?

5. UrbanHomesteadr

UrbanHomesteadr Homegrown

Hell no, I'm the best neighbor you'd ever have. I'd bring you over my famous homemade bread and treats my wife makes. I'd offer to help you anytime you asked. I'd even babysit your dog while you're on vacation. I will keep an eye your property and loved ones. These are all things I do for my neighbors and more, they're like family, I've known them for years. Whether you like it or not, you join the fold when you move in next to me. :)

However, as soon as you start telling me what to do on my property because you have this or that feeling about it, I've got no time for you. You don't tell another man what to do with his land unless he asks. Ain't right. ;)

6. Geno

Geno Well-Known Member

Nope, just moved to Mt Airy.

7. Mayfair101

I thought you liked where you were, did something happen to make you decide to leave? One less crusader for the Northeast!

8. Geno

Geno Well-Known Member

Nothing happened, I just wanted to shorten my commute to work and live in a community whose residents weren't its major detractors.

9. uly55es1

uly55es1 “anobium punctatum.â€

Ouch.

10. Geno

Geno Well-Known Member

Maybe that sounded a tad harsh. I do like the NE although the attitude of some of its residrents was demoralizing.

11. uly55es1

uly55es1 “anobium punctatum.â€

Nah, your cool. The truth is the light.

12. Mayfair101

Okay Im analyzing, but do you mean people on here or your neighborhood?
    Thats a shame either way, but really you have to consider this site is a consolidation of people. In the scheme of things a small percentage, to care what they say. Enough to move that is. But glad you found a place you like! Hope you got a good deal on it, nows the time to be buying!

13. Geno

Geno Well-Known Member

There is a sizeable group both online and in person who are negative.
    I didn't move because of people's attitudes, but it is a nice contrast in my new neighborhood that the residents there are so enthusiastic about and involved in their community.

14. Mayfair101

So did you get a good deal?

15. Queen Villager

Queen Villager Well-Known Member

If your neighbors are violating a health or safety code, or its otherwise a real nuisance property, you may have a point. If you just don't like the look of a wild garden that is appealing to the property owner, that's another matter. No, the government should not be interfering with a propery owner's rights simply because the neighbors are trying to tell them what to do. That's one of the pleasures of owning property, it's yours to do with as you wish, within the law. What's junky to you may be frugality chic to someone else. This is why there's a "right to dry" movement by people who face interference from neighbors when they try to hang their clothes on a line to dry.

And yes, I'd like to grow my own vegetables, too.

16. UrbanHomesteadr

UrbanHomesteadr Homegrown

Well put and really sad that people need to join a movement to secure their right to air dry their clothes.

17. Geno

Geno Well-Known Member

I think the quality of life is worth the price.

18. PortPennFerry

PortPennFerry Well-Known Member

Resourceful

Ok, for a disclaimer, i'd like to say that even though I only lived in Tacony for several months, I have lived in Port Richmond for a significant chunk of my life and I tried to turn my rowhome into an attractive green space. And what happened? My neighbors can get real mean.
    So my stoop juts out, perpendicular to the street, and that leaves the space between my basement window and my street completely bare and covered with concrete. I decided to put in some potted bushes and a few of my elderly neighbors started grumbling to me that it'd increase the amount of sweeping that they have to do. I told them that the leaves would just fall into the pot, and if they didn't, I'd pounce on them. THey didn't care. Next time I tried to say hi, they ignored me.
    A lot of people have a problem with greenery in Philadelphia because they're too lazy to take care of it. But if you want your block to be seen as a nice one, there really is nothing better than actually doing something with your lawn- like planting a tree or making a garden.
    I don't doubt that the garden looks a bit untidy. But like other people have said, look outside the box- your neighbors are actually being very resourceful and doing better things with their trash than dumping it. They are trying to sustainable, without really knowing about the term- I think that's more admirable than all of a sudden declaring that you 'want to be a green' and getting a Prius.

19. xanthus

xanthus Well-Known Member

I'm always surprised by the topics that generate such interest -- and venom -- on this blog. Gardens, no less.

You'd need lawyers to sort this out because it is an obvious conflict of rights.

People have rights to do what they want with their properties as long as they don't violate the Philadelphia Code. It's admirable that people use their little pieces of land to grow food for their families. For me, anywhere I can rest my head at night and grow some veggies, too, is home.

On the other hand, neighbors' property values shouldn't be diminished by actions that are legal but make the community look seedy.

Call your local council member's office and ask if the "ghetto garden" violates the zoning code. It just might, but I kinda doubt it.

If the garden in question attracts rodents or other pests, those wonderful people at L&I might make the property owner get rid of it.

Also, look at BRT records for the address. They'll tell you who actually owns the property and where to reach the owner (if it is a rental).

There is a link on the site that will tell you if taxes are owed. You can make further inquiries to see if there are permits for rentals and maybe contact the owner, who likely wants to stay under the city's radar, and ask him firmly to take care of the problem.

Also, if you have a local civic organization, you might take your complaints there, but most don't meet in July or August. However, people who participate in civics generally have a handle on such things and might give you a few worthwhile suggestions.

20. Nadia Cinque

Nadia Cinque New Member

I have heard that green beans and tomatoes are toxic for rats and if you have a mouse as a pet, you are advised not to feed it green beans or raw tomatoes if I am not mistaken..
    So, what kind of vegetable/fruits attract rats? I know usually rats prefer to eat food left in the garbage, and not fresh fruits/vegetables...I also heard that mint and other spices, are not liked by rats..probably something else or someone else is attracting rats, like the smell of food or spill of those grills people use when cooking outside, garbage, dog/cat food etc......

Can someone tell me what kind of vegetable/fruits attract rats? Lots of people plant edible gardens all over Philly...in front and back yard, on top of roofs, I even saw edible gardens inside some wooden containers by a church near my house.

Victorian Gardens were encouraged by the government in the old days, and they saved many people, and can still help people a lot if they are well kept and well used and the modern American mentality adapts to the new needs of people, wanting again their Victorian Gardens that cans save Americans again in many different ways..by keeping people engaged in outdoor activities and get closer to nature learning how to care for plants you can eat and can be good for your health and your pocket because you know what you have planted and what you have used for those plants, while those bought at the supermarket, we do not really know what nutritional value they have and how much pesticides/poisons have absorbed..I have a faulty damaged liver, so I try to plant little tings on my own that can help my liver recover the poison/unhealthy food we are forced to consume because we have no alternative or not financial resources to buy natural greens/vegetables, much more expensive of regular ones......

Can we create a post with the most beautiful back and front edible gardens of our neighborhood and links for places where to get advice on how to make a nice display of edible plants becoming again popular?

We could vote the best ones or get ideas from others! Even rich people are going back to edible gardens because concerned about the toxicity and low nutrition of what is sold in supermarkets.

21. Nadia Cinque

Nadia Cinque New Member

Sorry, I meant Victory Gardens, but I cannot correct my comment.

22. Nanis

Nanis Member

wow thats a big forum bump