Cost of running a red light

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Transportation & SEPTA' started by ras, Feb 8, 2018.

1. ras

ras Well-Known Member

The wife went through a red light and a $25 fine turns into $151.50. How is this allowed to happen, surcharges and costs, freaking $45 to the PPA for what, no one was parked it's a moving violation. And no explanation of any of these extra costs anywhere on the citation.
    Just venting since I'll probably just pay since I would lose more than $151 if I tried to fight these charges.

tick.jpg

2. OakmontGuy

OakmontGuy NE Philadelphia Proud!

City money vultures notwithstanding, I'm curious: Did the $151.50 fine influence your wife to pay more attention to the traffic signals versus the original $25? Did it cause you to give her more grief about running that red light?

I'm imagining the conversation going like this:

Wife: "Honey, I just ran a red light and got a $25 ticket"

You: "No biggie. Here's a Jackson and a fin."

Versus:

Wife: "Honey, I just ran a red light. The ticket's...$150!"

You: "$150! Geez, Louise, you gotta be more careful! Money doesn't grow on trees, and I don't want the car wrapped around one either!"

In other words, personally, I think that $25 for running a red light is ridiculously low and nowhere near the level of being a significant deterrent. Now 150 bucks? That's more like it!

funk, ShoshTrvls and Jayfar like this.
  3. ODragon

ODragon Well-Known Member

Sin tax

OakmontGuy likes this.
  4. OldMama

OldMama Finally retired. Newly married. Kids are gone.

People who park for more than two hours without a permit or people whose meter runs out pay a fine of $26.00 Clearly, running a red light is a more serious offense. I think even $150.00 is pretty cheap. This may end up costing you even more if your insurance goes up for having points on your record.

OakmontGuy likes this.
  5. ras

ras Well-Known Member

Imagine whatever you want, It's not about the $150, it's the way the government gets to that amount. All the extra charges with no explanation what they are for, and than after looking them up finding out we are paying for parking authority, emergency services, court costs, surcharges for what... All extra to keep a bloated government system running.

Stupid, deterrent has nothing to do with it, make the fine whatever you want but don't sextuple it with fees for a bunch of other government departments.
    And my wife's name isn't Louise

6. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very oldĀ®

Shirley you jest. ;)

Why shouldn't a fine serve two purposes? I very much like that the higher amount after surcharges not only makes the fine a more robust deterrent, but also takes a little load off the shoulders of law-abiding taxpayers.

OakmontGuy likes this.
  7. OakmontGuy

[​IMG]

Exactly. I get the distinct feeling that he wouldn't have complained at all if the TOTAL fine was $25, which was the result of being "sextupled" with fees among a bunch of government departments.

But $150? Good golly, Miss Molly!

8. MarketStEl

MarketStEl Will Work for Food, But Prefers Cash

What are you doing bringing her into this argument? Next thing you know, we'll get a bunch of #MeToo posts in reply.

OakmontGuy likes this.
  9. OakmontGuy

I suppose I could have gone with "Damn, Sam!" That way, I'm assuming nothing...since "Sam" can be a man OR woman's name. For all I know his "wife" could be...

Aw, now I've really stepped in it, haven't I? :)

MarketStEl likes this.
  10. ras

ras Well-Known Member

I guess no one posting to this thread has ever gone through a red light since you all seem to think that the driver is thinking about the financial hit that they will take from the act. Deterrent has nothing to do with these fines, it's about the money or (IMHO) it should be about the money to pay the people whose job it is to enforce the laws. 5 extra charges they have on top of the fine with no explanation nowhere on the citation is my gripe.

I do not know why you keep trying to guess my wife's name, and what if my wife is a "could be.." , whatever that means, do you have a problem with that?

11. ODragon

ODragon Well-Known Member

As a driver, I've never gone though a red light (except allowed turns on red). I don't want to take a hit on my insurance. I would be happy to pay a $200 ticket if I were to get zero points. Monetary cost is definitely a deterrent.

12. OakmontGuy

True. They probably aren't thinking about it at the time. But I bet they will think twice about it after getting hit with a hefty enough fine.

(Sigh) Firstly, no, I have no problem with "that." Secondly, I was not/am not trying to guess your wife's name. I take it you've never heard the expressions "Geez, Louise," "Good golly, Miss Molly," or "Damn, Sam?" Or perhaps you're just naturally paranoid? Or simply so argumentative that humor eludes you?

Fine.

You just slip out the back, Jack
    Make a new plan, Stan
    You don't need to be coy, Roy
    Just get yourself free
    Hop on the bus, Gus
    You don't need to discuss much
    Just drop off the key, Lee
    And get yourself free

MarketStEl and Jayfar like this.
  13. ras

ras Well-Known Member

(Sigh) Firstly, no, I have no problem with "that." Secondly, I was not/am not trying to guess your wife's name. I take it you've never heard the expressions "Geez, Louise," "Good golly, Miss Molly," or "Damn, Sam?" Or perhaps you're just naturally paranoid? Or simply so argumentative humor eludes you?

I have heard these expressions and I know you're trying to be humorous, I may be paranoid but I am definitely not
    argumentative.