Cosby apologists - what say you now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jayfar, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

It sickens the heart to watch one of my (previously) lifetime heroes go through this.

But I can't see how anyone (besides Camille of course) can defend the guy. Even if what she is saying is true, and these women *might* be exploiting this situation to their own benefit professionally and economically. That's somewhat irrelevant to the facts at hand on his behaviors. It is clearly a case AT BAREST OF MINIMUMS of "where there's smoke, there's fire". You don't get 60 women saying the same thing and just brush it off like that. He obviously did some really bad stuff.

Bill, you are disappoint.

Hospitalitygirl likes this.
  2. ornerylead

ornerylead Member

Lol im not surprised either xD

3. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Final chapter written – 3 to 10 years, remanded to prison immediately pending appeals.

…defense lawyers cited their client's blindness, advanced age and declining health in a bid for house arrest. They also asked the judge to let Cosby remain free on bail while he appeals, a request O'Neill denied.

"I'm not going to treat him any differently than anyone who comes in here," the judge said. "There are people in jails all over the state who think they should have bail while they appeal."
    As his lawyers argued that ruling, Cosby sat at the defense table and began talking on his cell phone. Then, he removed his watch and tie and gave them to his lawyers.

The judge also ordered Cosby to pay a $25,000 fine and the repay the cost of his prosecution.

Bill Cosby sentenced to 3 to 10 years in state prison for 2004 sex assault | Philly.com

#93 Jayfar, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  4. Elliott87

Elliott87 Well-Known Member

This works best if you don't live in a mansion. He is 81 with vision and mobility issues already. How much does he get out anyway? If they sentenced him to house arrest in a row home in Kensington with no cable, I might go for that.

Jayfar likes this.
  5. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Meanwhile, Cosby's wife, Camille announced last week that she had filed a complaint with Pennsylvania's Judicial Conduct Board and hired a Harrisburg lawyer to investigate allegations she has lodged that O'Neill exhibited bias against her husband throughout his two trials.

Neither she nor any other relatives attended Tuesday's hearings. The two rows reserved for his family and supporters were nearly empty.

cosby.jpg

6. Tartan69

Speaks volumes

7. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

Was never a fan. Admired his success though. At the high of his show Dr Huxstable etc he was head of some financial syndicate were trying to buy NBC. #MeToo may have gotten off the ground years earlier with ole Bill at the Helm.

8. OldMama

OldMama Finally retired. Newly married. Kids are gone.

It's time for a few more scumbags to go to court. One down.

9. Tartan69

One of the things I have heard recently from a liberal friend of mine (who was raped many years ago) is that there wouldn't be such a frenzy to support the questionable allegations against Kavanaugh if there were more convictions of people like Cosby who CLEARLY and PROVABLY are scumbag rapists and/or abusers. All too often, perpetrators get off scott free, and it shouldn't be that way. I totally agree with her.

10. Politburo

Politburo Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning. I'm not sure I agree with the premise either. The Cosby case wasn't that clear.. recall that it wasn't initially charged by the DA because they didn't think it was clear. Obviously DA's can be wrong. Beyond that, the conviction hinged largely on the fact that he admitted having an encounter, giving her cold medicine, and had previously talked about using quaaludes to drug women. Put it all together and he basically admitted it.. very clear, right? Yet there was still a mistrial on the first attempt, because it still boiled down to her story that is was not consensual, his story that it was, and what represents reasonable doubt.

But putting that aside, I'm not clear on the connection between more convictions of rapists and support/believing allegations. If there were more convictions, people would ignore allegations that aren't concrete? That's already what happens.

11. Tartan69

It was clear that Cosby drugged her. Agree the only detail under debate from what I recall is the consensual/non-consensual angle. However in Ford's case, she can't remember a number of key details, while Kavanaugh refutes them very clearly, yet everyone is in a rush to judgement that he is clearly a rapist? These two situations don't align.

The argument that my friend is making is that women see too many men get away with assaults and rapes, and thus stirs up anger. They need to take that anger out on someone, and Kavanaugh ends up being that someone. If less men got away with this stuff, they wouldn't have the pent up anger sitting there needing an outlet.

12. Politburo

Politburo Well-Known Member

How can Kavanaugh refute un-remembered details? Either way it still boils down to who to believe is my point. In the Cosby case, the defense argument was that she took the drugs willingly, it was not undisputed that Cosby drugged her.

The rush to judgement seems to be driven by the process the GOP has insisted on. And what I heard yesterday were calls for further investigation, which I understand you agree with.

As for the argument, I suppose I understand it now, but it still doesn't seem to follow. Why does Kavanaugh become the outlet compared to Gorsuch, or anyone else? According to Dr. Ford, Kavanaugh is "getting away with this stuff" too. So it would seem the argument only really makes sense when there is a presumption that Ford is lying or somehow mistaken.

13. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

14. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

In the age of Trump, a rich man can still grease judicial wheels. I suspect the next level, round of PR complaint from the Cosby legal team will be about a black man getting a fair trial in Montgomery County. Just saying.

15. Tartan69

How in the world does Bill Cosby's situation have anything to do with Trump? Suggest if you want to shoehorn a President in here, there's another one that has a far lengthier history of abusing his power and influence over women to take advantage of them.

16. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

In the Age of Trump, everything is Trump.

Templeton likes this.
  17. Tartan69

You are allowing him to live rent-free in your head

18. Phillyxpat

Phillyxpat Harrowgateer

He walks before X-mas.

19. Tartan69

[​IMG]

Hospitalitygirl and Phillyxpat like this.