Comcast Innovation Tower

Discussion in 'Architecture and Urban Planning' started by Phillyurban8, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Titus likes this.
  2. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Interesting to see the closeups. I've been watching it day by day, and find it disappointing. There is something lazy about the design. IMHO

3. Phillyurban8

Phillyurban8 Well-Known Member

It is lazy. Foster dialed it in. Those rows of mechanical grilles on the north and south sides are quite permanent. North and south sides don't even have symmetrical placement of those grilles. And on the north side one can see two massive, unshielded from view chillers.

This building is looking more and more like a design that never got past the conceptual stage and it has extremely poor mechanical integration. The spire has no detail whatsoever and that really is the proof in the pudding.

#63 Phillyurban8, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    fiveomar likes this.
  4. Phillyurban8

The just completed Salesforce tower in San Francsico has generated much controversy but I think it's a better design overall.

Scoats likes this.
  5. ShoshTrvls

ShoshTrvls Well-Known Member

Compared to $24 million dollar refrigerators, they seem to be a bargain.

6. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

#66 Jayfar, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    fiveomar likes this.
  7. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

Agree that is a ridiculous number. Curious if Trump had any sign-off oversight on that, particularly given his prior criticisms of the costs around the Air Force One program.

8. ShoshTrvls

ShoshTrvls Well-Known Member

That's where the buck stops. Given his addiction to tv news, he certainly knows about it and evidently hasn't done anything to stop it.

9. Politburo

Politburo Well-Known Member

Was it reported on Hannity?

10. MackeyDingo

MackeyDingo REALLY Well-Known Member

I think he's a FoxandFriends kinda guy.

I don't know why anyone thinks he would care about the cost. He spends millions to golf at his clubs and fly to his mansions every weekend.

If its for him, he's for it. (by the way this extends to people as well as spending money)

11. fiveomar

fiveomar Well-Known Member

I despise Trump and think he's a terrible President overall, but I can at least do my own independent research on the matter and form an unbiased conclusion unlike the sheep/brainwashed party loyalists on both sides here.

Trump is the one that called out the high cost of Air Force One replacements, and now a more affordable option has been found:
    Air Force Finds Cheap 747s That Were Owned by Russian Airline for Air Force One

On the refrigerators topic, if you read about the high cost it's due to needing to store up to 3,000 meals in case of an epic disaster/warfare; Air Force One needs to operate as a "mobile Whitehouse" and fly indefinitely without landing:
    Air Force One To Get New, $24 Million Refrigerators

Anyway, this topic has digressed heavily from the new Comcast tower discussion.

#71 fiveomar, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Titus and MackeyDingo like this.
  12. MackeyDingo

He tweeted about the cost of air force one. Are we taking tweets as policy now? He also tweeted that the press is the enemy of the American people.
    Its probably most accurate to say he has taken every position on every topic at least once. Meaning his words aren't that useful.

Interestingly, in 1964 an army aircraft crashed into the north side of Trump's first building, 40 Wall Street, killing all five people aboard and no tower occupants (Trump would not be born for a few more months, but I'm confident he's still somehow responsible). Apparently these types of accidents are more common that one might think (one might think they would simply not happen at all, ever).

See? We're back to architecture.

#72 MackeyDingo, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  13. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

This is great info and clarification, thanks.

14. Phillyurban8

Well, folks, as construction comes to an end, it's appearing more and more like we've got a dog on the skyline.

The ill placed mechanical vents on the north and south sides are just weird and I think they are permanent.

The spire looks like something a child might draw and curiously from the back it looks like Comcast is giving the middle finger.

There are many, many amazing skyscrapers being built globally. This is not one of them.

phillyaggie and Scoats like this.
  15. Phillyurban8

I mean, look how ugly the grilles are in this picture. You can see them at the base of the crane and some more below the glazed upper portion. Total after thought. Not even symmetrical. Did Foster think they'd just disappear from view?

[​IMG]

16. MackeyDingo

i disagre. the new building seems to be a good example of a lot of trends in current modern architecture.

the glass color and geometric forms are complimentary to other buildings.

it has a well developed street presence.

regarding the middle finger thing, it’s kind of there if you look for it, but that’s a stretch.

Burholme06 likes this.
  17. MackeyDingo

i can see that this bothers you, but really it’s just another texture and a slight color change. imo you’re making a mountain of a molehill. or, rather, a mole of a beauty mark.

18. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

I have no idea what you are talking about from the blown up, blurry low-resolution photo you've posted. I've looked at higher res photos elsewhere, such as skyscraper page and still don't see it. Overall it looks pretty sleek to me. Regardless, I don't think they could dispense with the vents, unless they populate the offices solely with robots to eliminate the need for breathable air. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

19. Phillyurban8

The grilles are as plain as the noise on your face -- the weird, horizontal rectangular areas that are darker than the glass.

The way to hide the vents -- put the mechanical on the roof where it belonged and surround it with a parapet of a certain geometry. That's what every other skyscraper in Center City did. What do you think is below the pyramid on the Mellon tower -- mechanical!

20. Phillyurban8

Actually it's not. If you look at new skyscrapers in China, Dubai New York and Chicago, you will see very interesting, complex geometries that are well resolved especially in terms of mechanical. This building looks like a child designed it with a Lego set.

And those grilles are so haphazard, I cannot believe that this is the work of an internationally known architect. I have NEVER seen work so sloppy on a building this large.

fiveomar likes this.
  21. DCnPhilly

DCnPhilly Well-Known Member

I agree with this, but maybe for different reasons. I definitely wouldn't categorize it as an "amazing skyscraper," not compared to what's being built globally (even among those designed by Foster). But I also wouldn't cast it aside as something that would never be built in a bigger, more architecturally savvy city. Honestly, I could see it in London or Frankfurt.

My biggest problem with it is its relationship with the skyline. It's not my favorite skyscraper in Philadelphia by far, but as technically the tallest, it doesn't seem to relate at all with the rest of the skyline. Its "spire" pulls away from Center City instead of rising within it, it in no way complements the other skyscrapers. It also spans the full width of the block which is uncharacteristic of all the other skyscrapers in Philadelphia that only take up a quarter of a block's footprint.

To me, it just doesn't look like a skyscraper that was designed to be built in Philadelphia, but maybe a plan Foster had lying around.

The thing that bug me about starchitects like Foster is they build upon a reputation for doing really great work, and then just capitalize on companies and cities that want nothing more than their name. His firm has done amazing things, and there's no reason every new building they design - even in Philadelphia - shouldn't be even more amazing than the last.

fiveomar, Titus and Scoats like this.
  22. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

^^^ 100%

DCnPhilly likes this.
  23. Phillyurban8

^^^105%

DCnPhilly likes this.
  24. Phillyurban8

Where's Mixiboi? I told him those mechanical grilles were permanent. Oy vey. It just doesn't look right. I think the south façade is even worse than the north.

fiveomar likes this.
  25. Phillyurban8

Please tell me the light spire illumination will eventually connect downward to the west spine!

Also the materials all around the light spire stop and start at weird points. This tower was not fully thought through.

fiveomar likes this.
  26. phillyaggie

phillyaggie Well-Known Member

I wish the Philly skyline had at least some buildings with different colored glass curtain walls. thank god for the Mellon Bank Center for the white design components and the Bell Atlantic Tower for the brown ribbons. But the more prominent towers all seem to be shades of light blue. ugh.

27. Phillyurban8

It's just about complete and a dog on the skyline. Sorry, Sir Norman Foster, but the design you dialed in pretty much sucks.

fiveomar and Titus like this.
  28. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Yours would seem to be the contrarian view.

29. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Phillyurban8. Rehashing one Foster did in London. It's a dog's dinner to me.

30. fiveomar

fiveomar Well-Known Member

The problem with the tower is that it looks like it's made from Legos. Big stacked blocks on top of each other. There's no sleek lines or anything to the tower. It just looks cheap.

Even the new FMC Tower has a pretty basic overall design but at least nice lines to it.