City Ave: 7 bus routes and 2 rail lines

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Transportation & SEPTA' started by eldondre, Nov 26, 2012.

1. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

this is the sort of line that people who don't use transit like
    City Avenue Transportation Connectivity Plan opened to public input | PlanPhilly: Planning Philadelphia's Future
    so is the answer really to increase awareness or is it that the people who work there are not adequately served by these services? the paoli line is an important stop but since it's not near the office corridor or what you might consider the heart of city line, it's not terribly useful. the line that is better located only serves one more stop (cynwyd) and poorly at that. if one could travel from, say, phoenixville to city line ave by train, we might be talking about some utility.
    what are the 7 bus lines? the 1,38,40,44,52,65, and the G?

2. 6enny

6enny Well-Known Member

I work on City Ave and there is definitely adequate SEPTA coverage from Center City and even from the old R5 (whatever the hell it's called now).

People saying that there's not adequate coverage are either focusing on the Cynwyd line regional rail or can't imagine transfering or walking more than 2 blocks.

I will say that, once you get off SEPTA, it sucks being a pedestrian on City Ave.

Debbie likes this.
  3. eldondre

I have to disagree with you. it's 2 miles from overbrook station to PCOM, not walkable by most people's standards. if you had to drive to paoli to catch a train to overbrook (and many trains skip overbrook), then transfer to a bus stuck in gridlock or walk two miles, you may as well have driven the whole way. I agree that transit isn't terrible from center city (though it isn't good either), center city makes up 1% of the region's population, so transit for most of the region is terrible to city line. this is a big part of why city line is in decline, it's hard to get to by car and train.

[​IMG]
    I feel for the planners, city ave sucks, and there's not an easy way to fix that.

#3 eldondre, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  4. BarryG

BarryG Well-Known Member

what do you mean by "this is the sort of line that people who don't use transit like"?

5. eldondre

7 bus routes and 2 rail lines. sounds great, until you look how far away the train line that is of any use is, and how infrequently and stubby the other one is. as you may know, I also hate the 38. people who don't ride simply look at things like this and say "people just don't know" when in reality, people do know, they don't know. when people say "transit sucks" they mean it doesn't serve their needs (usually).

vampyre927 likes this.
  6. seanl

seanl Member

Fix the philly wage tax and all the businesses on City Avenue would relocate.

7. hammersklavier

hammersklavier A Fortnight Dead

The 65 does most of the legwork along City Line and it's also the most frequent. Transit there isn't bad, but it isn't a transit destination, or more accurately it runs between two transit nodes* but its core is in the middle, furtherest from both.

The best short-term fix is to improve the 65 (more frequent, and more visible, especially at Overbrook Station). In the longer-term, this is a good area for a light-rail line, especially one extending from 69th St. and using 101/2 vehicular standards.

eldondre likes this.
  8. PhilaCap

PhilaCap Well-Known Member

City Ave. is a dated beast.

9. 6enny

6enny Well-Known Member

Agree to disagree. I used to walk to the train in paoli, take it to overbrook and ride a bus down City Ave to near PCOM. I really didn't think it was that bad. It seemed like the bus schedule synced up with the train schedule pretty nicely.

10. eldondre

right, but how many people can do that? the better located of the two routes runs a couple times a day and goes one stop past city line. the other one only, further afield, only runs to norristown. it's not like they surved only people who live in center city or paoli. if you're goint to take a train, it's much easier to work in center city and use it. taking a train to overbrook and transferring might be possible, but it's hardly convenient for the majority of people. only certain trains run through to overbrook, running through center city is slow, and they can just take lincoln drive or route 1. if you're going to drive, it's much easier to drive to fort washington or great valley for a lot of people. this is why city line is losing jobs. transportation is lacking both transit and highway.

11. eldondre

12. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Maybe by 2025...City Line will be walkable...

13. eldondre

vampyre927 likes this.
  14. ShoshTrvls

ShoshTrvls Well-Known Member

I would love to have something happen there (seeing as I work across the street at 401).

I'm also interested to see what, if anything, happens with the former Joe's Crab Shack on the other side -- the long-term restaurant lease was, evidently, given up, so that property is ripe for redevelopment. Across the street on the philly side, you have new life with the Presidential renovation and, while still a mass of surface parking, Marriott did a decent job cleaning up the Crowne Plaza. Finally, if someone could just bulldoze l the Chipotle/CPK/Starbucks strip and figure out how to make it at least somewhat pedestrian friendly, that would be nice.

eldondre likes this.
  15. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed