Broad and Washington

Discussion in 'South Philadelphia' started by Clarkie, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Scoats

Scoats Well-Known Member

I suspect it is more an issue of surplus of retail and restaurant supply and just hard it is run a business these days, rather than being located on the ground floor of a residential building.

2. Outlaw Star

Outlaw Star Teen Heartthrob

I think a bigger problem is that South Broad isn't in any way cohesive. It's an odd mix of residential, large developer boxes, auto-centric development and empty lots. As a result, the retail that is there, particularly in the one-off residential projects you mention, tends to be kind of isolated in a way that you don't see in more bustling corridors. There's nothing really connecting one to another, or everything together. And isolated retail is a recipe for disaster, unless it's some kind of mega attraction, and that's a tall order for most businesses.

3. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

4. MNG1324

MNG1324 Well-Known Member

Meanwhile over in Bartland on the other side of the Street......crickets.....

5. DCnPhilly

DCnPhilly Well-Known Member

I mean, it's not architecturally interesting at all, and adding Target only makes it look more like the big box it is. I wonder how this trend of slapping colorful plastic panels on otherwise plain buildings is going to weather the years? In any event, as much as I hate big box stores in inner cities, it's probably the best thing that could ever happen to this intersection.

Talking up thread about the lack of retail in 777, Dranoff's problem might be that he was thinking too small for this particularly desolate stretch of Broad. It's not really a strip where you want to sit outside on the sidewalk or set up a chic boutique. It's utilitarian: CVS, fast food, tags and titles...Target. But Target's clientelle are the kind that bridges the gap between what this part of South Broad eventually became and the more bustling streets just a block or two away.

It's going to bring people up from South Philly neighborhoods and over from Hawthorne and Graduate Hospital, and get them walking around South Broad, not to mention those living above it. If 777 had been stacked atop a larger box this could have happened already. Now Dranoff might actually get the foot traffic he needs, not for anything hip or unique, but probably a Starbucks and a Chipotle.

6. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Which is what we need more foot traffic, which is why Target here and at 6th and Spring Garden are good improvements.

7. DCnPhilly

DCnPhilly Well-Known Member

Oh, I didn't know about that one. Are there any renderings? Any chance it will replace that stripmall?

*updated...I found it. For some reason I thought that one was up further.

8. Shadowbat

Shadowbat Well-Known Member

Wow, Target is really doubling down on Philly all of a sudden! They are also remodeling the one near Front and Snyder as well....