BREAKING: Federal investigation of IBEW local 98 and Johnny Doc

Discussion in 'Local and State' started by Jayfar, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Politburo

Politburo Well-Known Member

2. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

I can imagine there will be additional charges and possibly more defendants in a superseding indictment before this goes to trial. Meanwhile from a 6ABC story today:
    The mayor said his office would not be implicated.
    "We've had conversations with U.S. Attorney's Office. No one in the administration, not myself or anyone, is involved," Kenney said.

3. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very old®

Union leader John Dougherty pleads not guilty, freed on bond in federal embezzlement, conspiracy case | Philly.com

Labor leader John J. Dougherty pleaded not guilty Friday to the sweeping federal indictment that accuses him of bribing a city councilman and enriching himself off the backs of union members.
    After a brief appearance before a federal magistrate judge in Philadelphia, the man known as “Johnny Doc” was released on a $50,000 recognizance bond after agreeing to limit his contact with potential witnesses — and only for work-related purposes.

He had arrived hours earlier and was unusually tight-lipped, saying only “See you at 1:30″ to the throng of reporters and cameras as he ducked into the building with his lawyer, Henry E. Hockeimer Jr. But there were glimpses of the union leader’s personality: Just before the early afternoon hearing opened, Dougherty approached the prosecutors looking to convict him, introduced himself and shook their hands.
    Leaving the building later, he told reporters he couldn’t answer their questions, but hinted he would have much more to say in the near future.

[snip]