Bitcoin

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CanWeTalk, Apr 3, 2013.

1. BarryG

BarryG Well-Known Member

Not when the Bitcoin transactions occur over an anonymous network like Tor -- which is common. The exchange is truly anonymous and untrackable.

2. BarryG

BarryG Well-Known Member

Well Bitcoin is not a network, it is an algorithm that is wide open and designed to be resilient and secure even if the networks carrying it are broken. Since it's been published, studied, and in wide use for a while now, any weaknesses in the algorithm itself will likely have discovered and exploited. The only possible fundamental weakness is if the encryption algorithm is broken -- which is extremely unlikely, unless there is a major computing breakthrough like quantum computing. Even in this case, as I understand it, the algorithm is designed so that an alternative encryption algorithm can be swapped in if necessary (and it probably will be at some point, if Bitcoin has any staying power, but the encryption used will likely take decades to be breakable even by supercomputers).

3. the mule

the mule Well-Known Member

I've already expressed my doubts about bitcoin. My point is dollars also have 0 intrinsic value, so everyone guffawing about bitcoin being based on nothing should really think twice about the dollar, or any other fiat currency for that matter. A little doubt about America's infinite resilience might go a long way toward motivating a little fiscal discipline on the part of the House.

4. raider.adam

raider.adam Well-Known Member

But that is the point that is being incorrectly stated. The dollar DOES have intrinsic value. To put simply, one of its major pieces of value is that it is currency that has to be accepted when paying debts and taxes. When paying off your car loan, mortgage or paying your taxes or a $10 million private loan, they have to accept US currency and can not refuse.

That is a value bitcoin does not have.

5. five apples

five apples Deacon Blues

I think the belief that the dollar doesn't have intrinsic value is part of a larger thought process on how the world is falling apart and etc. It isn't actually true, but it plays nicely into this world view which in itself is why the bitcoin exists. As the writer points out in the article you linked, it has always been something Gold Bugs have played on (looking at you Fox News). So though the dollar does have intinsic value, some people will always argue that it doesn't because they believe the world is going to fall apart any day now. I am not saying there aren't concerns about our fiscal situation, because there are, but the United States collapse is not eminent either.

6. jizay

jizay Well-Known Member

I don't think the world is falling apart; I'm in general more optimistic than most. But it simply is true that the dollar has no intrinsic value and is a fiat currency. I have no idea even what the argument is, since this is generally accepted to be true. Yes, it is legal tender for debts. But legal tender with no fixed value. Bitcoin is not a currency by any legal decree, so I guess one could say it's a weaker form of fiat currency.

7. five apples

five apples Deacon Blues

If two computers communicated with each other across a network, then there is a digital record of that transaction. So though Tor might help you hide the transmission across a network, it doesn't negate the fact that the transaction occurred. Tor makes it harder to to snoop the transaction while it occurs, but it doesn't make it impossible to intercept, and doesn't take care of the fact that two computers talked to each other. If you are super vigilant you can do a lot to hide what you are doing, but Tor is not foolproof (If you are a bit paranoid you might like to know the DOD initially created TOR).

8. jizay

jizay Well-Known Member

You've changed the definition of "intrinsic." Dollars aren't made from valuable material. Intrinsically, they are only worth the paper they are printed on, which is worth less than the nominal amount printed on it. Yes, they must be accepted for debts, but they carry no guarantee of conversion into anything but dollars, and they carry no fixed value and can (will, unless you think there will be no inflation) become less valuable over time. Those are the characteristics that define a fiat currency. I should say - I don't think fiat currency is a bad thing; it is far preferable to something like a gold standard, but we undeniably have a fiat currency.

9. five apples

five apples Deacon Blues

Ok I concede, I will withdraw the usage of the word intrinsic for semantic purposes, but then there is no such currency of matter that would qualify. I will say though that having the faith of the US government backing the dollar is as good as one can get to having an intrinsic value even by the strictest terms of that words definition.

Anyway, we have gotten a bit off topic. Just no one go out and get Bitcoins unless you are a good old gambler or like to do illegal things.

10. raider.adam

raider.adam Well-Known Member

You're right, shouldn't be using the word intrinsic with money because that means it is commodity money.

What I mean is there is a "worth" to the US dollar because it has the power of the law behind it.

But bitcoin isn't a poor man's fiat currency because fiat currency gets its value from government and regulation. By definition, it isn't a fiat currency.

11. BReynoldsIsBald

BReynoldsIsBald Couldn't Care Less

I don't understand how anyone can truly believe the US dollar, or any fiat currency, has any intrinsic value. The only currency that is intrinsic are PM's and PM's only.

12. BReynoldsIsBald

The dollar has no intrinsic value but besides that ... small or large concern that most (not all) of the major economies around the globe are overloaded in debt, and if they aren't in the current race to destroy their currency (japan, england, etc) they will soon be joining that race (usa)?

13. Panniculus

Panniculus Banned

Probably the same way someone can believe that Muslims set off bombs in Boston yesterday without a shred of evidence.

14. the mule

the mule Well-Known Member

A fiat currency by definition has no intrinsic value. So my point is quite correctly stated. Argue all you want about its status as a reserve currency or legal tender, that's neither here nor there. You need to understand what intrinsic means. Relying on something else (US government) to create value is the antithesis of intrinsic value. Just because some schmuck writes an article for Business Insider arguing to the contrary doesn't make it so. It just shows he has a flawed understanding of either economics or English.

The reason this came up was because posters mocked Bitcoin as having no intrinsic value. That's not something to be mocked about in the current global economy, but it should be mocked for the idea that the computation mining model is any guarantee of its value.

#74 the mule, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  15. five apples

five apples Deacon Blues

Actually I said it has no value at all, while other currencies do, the mi-use of the word intrinsic which entered later doesn't discount the fact. In the real world economy we live in, the US Dollar, Yen, English Pound and Euro do have a value, no matter how much you want to quibble about it. Bitcoin has none other than those holding it says it does. It can't even be qualified as a commodity or a stock, it is more akin to trading cards in real world value.

I am just so sick and tired of the dollar is worthless argument, because it quite simply isn't true. It just plays into this far right American world view that everything is falling apart and I am sick of having it drilled into my head. I guess walking away from this board and comment sections on most news sites would help with this particular problem.

Technically it doesn't have an intrinsic value, but saying it has no value shows just as great a lack of knowledge of how the major world economies operate.

16. jizay

jizay Well-Known Member

I don't see anyone saying a dollar is worthless. If you find anyone making that argument, let me know and I'll be happy to take their dollars off of them. But to be fair to bitcoins, they aren't worthless either. If you believe that, I'll be happy to buy from you any that you happen to come across at $1 each. That way, you can have valuable dollars and I can have worthless bitcoins.

17. guzzijason

guzzijason Mostly Human

I have no bitcoins to sell you. Because, bitcoins.

I may be willing to trade you some pogs, however.

__Jason

18. BReynoldsIsBald

As long as Bitcoin is accepted as payment for a good or service, it has value. That value may be on a much, much smaller scale but it has value none the less.

This statement that you wrote about value, “Bitcoin has none other than those holding it says it does”. If you replace Bitcoin with, gold, silver, Euro, Dollar, etc, etc .. they same notion could hold true, no?

Which far right American said the US dollar is worthless? Was it on this site or did you read and/or hear it somewhere?

19. jizay

jizay Well-Known Member

Ahh - a trip down memory lane. BTC now trading at $1,044!

20. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

#80 Jayfar, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017