Beverage tax scam in Philly?

Discussion in 'Northeast Philadelphia' started by shinbo, Jun 17, 2017.

1. shinbo

shinbo New Member

Anybody know anything about this?

So this lady came into today claiming to be from the revenue department and said she needed to see beverage order receipts for soda.

I mean, I'm always naturally suspicious but the radar was going off, because I thought it was weird anybody from the city would be coming all the way here on a Saturday.

She also had a suspicious demeanor where she was always looking over her shoulder. She had a badge which is kinda weird right? Why would a revenue department person have a badge instead of an ID card?
    She also had clipbook, and one business card and some paperwork from the department of revenue.

In any case I didn't give her anything, Just wondering if anybody else experience anything similar or knows something.

p.s. she also drives a really nice gray Lincoln sedan, I thought city employees drives those white Fords?

2. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

Hard to say. I think the city Revenue Dept. is sending inspectors out to check invoices and I can imagine they might be working Saturdays due to being behind the 8-ball in collecting the projected amount of beverage taxes overall. You should have taken her information and then call the city on Monday to verify whether she is bona fide.

3. shinbo

shinbo New Member

Thanks for the reply, I have her information and will be doing just that. Just think its kinda weird for them to waste resources on this.

4. fiveomar

fiveomar Well-Known Member

Tell her you're only comfortable with sending documentation to an official @phila.gov email address or via postal mail to the Revenue Department's official address.

5. Bixbyte

Bixbyte Well-Known Member

TAKE HER PHOTO and then call the Police.
    City Worker doing Saturday never in Philly.
    Criminals checking to see how many sodas you sell so they can cut you a break and tax you?
    This TAX is on the Soda Makers not on the individuals Sellers or that would be unconstitutional.
    Since that would be double taxation.
    Mayor Kenny ain't stupid enough to send out enforcement if they still did not to win the soda tax court case.
    WELL maybe he is stupid?

6. Scoats

Scoats Well-Known Member

The city is using part of the soda tax to pay for inspectors to make sure retailers are buying from distributors that are paying the tax.

The Grey Lodge was visited by a soda tax inspector two weeks ago. I was out and she was scheduled to be in last Tuesday when I would be here. She never showed. On the form she left, she put down two city phone numbers. Both went to voicemail and neither were hers. She didn't leave an email address.

I too would be shocked at a city employee working on a Saturday. I can't see what the scam would be though. It's not like our soda receipts are useful for any data mining or anything.

7. Bixbyte

Bixbyte Well-Known Member

Wait A sec the CITY can Not tell ME where to buy my soda.
    That would make their TAX unconstitutional.
    Since they only tax the SODA distributors that is why they can beat the courts on taxation.
    If I buy soda outside philadelphia the city has no legal recourse.
    Or they would be imposing the tax on the individual!
    Plus another loophole that the Soda tax is not constitutional?
    Popsicles should be taxed they are made of Sugar and Water. :p
    WAIT until City enforcers come to your house and inspect YOUR SODA Receipts!

8. Scoats

Scoats Well-Known Member

Retailers either have to buy it from a vetted tax paying distributor or pay the tax themselves. It doesn't say charge the customer for the tax and remit, just pay the tax. And that's their loophole.

As a consumer I am free to go outside the city to stock up for soda at home, which I do. As retailer, I now pay twice as much for soda and we have raised our prices.

Hospitalitygirl likes this.