Amazon HQ2

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Business' started by Tartan69, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

fiveomar, MackeyDingo and Jayfar like this.
  2. MackeyDingo

MackeyDingo REALLY Well-Known Member

We have all the things they want,
    Tech scene
    Vibrancy
    Quality of life
    Transit

but we have some negative vets as well. Wage tax, not the strongest tech scene (compare to Boston for example).

We have other strengths that they don't explicitly mention, low cost of living, strategic location between NY and Washington, and lots of empty space for developing an urban campus.

I think the recent positive exposure this city has had helps a lot with our national reputation. Pope, NFL Draft, Convention etc...

Hospitalitygirl and fiveomar like this.
  3. Bixbyte

Bixbyte Well-Known Member

Amazon frame of mind are the cheapest land, lowest taxes, pay workers peanuts.
    Philly lacks any of those perks unless they write up a ten year free pass.

4. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Wrong Amazon, Bixbyte. This is the Amazon that runs that Amazon. They hire the best a brightest for that Amazon and pay them competitive with Microsoft, Google, and Apple.

#4 mixiboi, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    fiveomar and MackeyDingo like this.
  5. Bixbyte

Jeff Bezos looking for Freebies.
    Maybe, Soda Tax, One Term Kenney is stupid enough to fall for it?
    Tax exempt the Big Kahuna.
    I can't wait for the Amazonians to show up in Philly. (gulp):

Your City Will Lose the Contest for Amazon’s New HQ
    No town truly fulfills the company’s demanding wish list.

... while the winner loads the tax burden of its new prize pig onto existing citizens and businesses.
    It rewards corporations for being flighty, faithless partners to cities and punishes small and local businesses that cannot make credible threats to secure their own incentive packages.

Why Your City Will Lose the Contest for Amazon’s New HQ

6. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Find it funny you over looked this

Unless your city is Philadelphia, Chicago, or Denver.

In spite of it all, Baltimore, Chicago, Denver, and Philly are probably the most compelling choices for Amazon. But that doesn’t mean the company might not blow off its interest in higher education or mass transit to procure a low-cost campus in the suburbs of Dallas or Atlanta.

7. fiveomar

fiveomar Well-Known Member

The wage tax+state income tax is still on par with other major cities. Still, it should be lowered.

Don't forget the Philly suburbs have a wage tax too.

MackeyDingo likes this.
  8. Tartan69

FWIW, out of the 39 municipalities in Delco, only 19 have Wage taxes, and all but one of them are 1%. Chester is 3%, but I think we can all agree they are a mess so should probably not count. Philly is getting closer to that 1% number, but still 3.9 times higher.

Could not find details on the other counties. Can anyone help there?

9. Bixbyte

I have known Bezos many many years ago off a public prodigy board.
    If it can be bought for free :D he'll take it.
    Tell that to the Mayor!

10. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

It's among the highest in the country is it not? That's not including our business taxes

Tartan69 likes this.
  11. fiveomar

fiveomar Well-Known Member

Not sure, when I was in NY just the state tax alone was between 6 and 7% (can't remember if NYC had a wage tax). Much higher than PA's 3%. So PA's state + Philly's wage tax is about 7%, roughly on par with NY (not that that's a good thing).

12. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

Yes nys is not going well so perhaps not a desirable comparison. Still, there's 6.45 net profits, gross receipts, and of course 9.99 cni

fiveomar likes this.
  13. Tartan69

14. Hospitalitygirl

Hospitalitygirl Resident Ornery Bitch

15. Tartan69

[​IMG]

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

DCnPhilly likes this.
  16. DCnPhilly

DCnPhilly Well-Known Member

The last thing I read about this put Philly in the top 3. I forget who said it, but it wasn't a local paper, so at the very least a national publication gave us some cred on the matter. Of course all of that is just hype and conjecture. Amazon's going to go where they want, and given their history as an outside trailblazer, I doubt anyone at Forbes or the WSJ is going to predict where they go.

Here's my two cents, and maybe a few questions:

1. Beyond construction of their facilities, does Amazon have any reason to care about our unions? With or without union labor, their Seattle facility wasn't cheap. Amazon can afford to build anywhere, and HQ2 from the get-go isn't going to be as lavish or expansive as it was in Seattle. Once it's built, are any of their operations unionized? Even if they are, I think there's a sizable enough non-union workforce in Philadelphia willing to work for Amazon.

2. I know we love to crap on Philly here, but I think this city is too high profile for HQ2. Seattle's got a great reputation in the tech industry, but it's also become a one-trick-pony. When it comes to major American cities, I'd put Philly in the Big Five. Maybe I'm an idealist, but a lot of what makes Philadelphia a desirable location - diversity, location, infrastructure - might also undermine Amazon's identity in Seattle. The same would go for New York or Chicago.

3. It's an impossible long shot, but I think a city like Camden would be ideal. That's not solely about NJ politics or any hope to revitalize the city, but for the fact that Bezos himself could literally write a check for the entire city and own it outright. He wouldn't do that, or need to, but Amazon's presence would exert enormous control over the city and the state.

4. I don't think the result is going to be exciting or unexpected. I think it's going to go to a southern city where universities are ample and labor is cheap. Charlotte or Raleigh wouldn't undermine Seattle's image and they're surrounded by universities, Atlanta has a great (on paper) infrastructure, and the same can be said for cities in Kentucky and Tennessee.

5. I'm not sure we should even want Amazon. Philadelphia is experiencing a renaissance, but it hasn't gotten to the point where we're confident enough for that renaissance to be about anything but housing. We're still willing to bend over backwards for any major corporation to stay in the city, let alone what we'd be willing to do to get a new one as big as Amazon. Would granting concessions to Amazon attract more tech business or would Amazon's presence scare it away? We granted concessions to Comcast. Has it attracted any new tech business? Is Comcast responsible for any new jobs that aren't part of their own conglomerate?

As an 18 year veteran of the tech industry, there's a local joke: when you can't find a job, you go consult at Comcast. Having Amazon in Philly won't make this any different, other than adding a tech company that notoriously treats its employees like ****.

17. Hospitalitygirl

I'm also Philadelphia sports fan. I'm used to disappointment and never allow myself to get too excited.

18. Tartan69

I've been a Phils fan since I was 4 years old. The magic of the 2006-2011 period hasn't quite worn off for me yet.

19. Nytecat

Nytecat Well-Known Member

It was Moody's that listed Philly as number three. Austin, Atlanta, and Rochester, NY rounded out the top four. No other business publication mentioned Philadelphia (or Rochester as far as I know) as a likely candidate for HQ2.

Since this was announced, I always thought HQ2 would end up in Boston, Austin, or possibly one of the other Texas mega-metros. Lately Atlanta looks increasingly like another place they could go. I think fiscal stability at the state level is very important to Amazon. If so, that rules out the financial basket cases of New Jersey, California, and Illinois no matter how many incentives they offer.

20. Politburo

Politburo Well-Known Member

I liked San Antonio's response:

"We’ve long been impressed by Amazon and its bold view of the future,” they wrote. “Given this, it’s hard to imagine that a forward-thinking company like Amazon hasn’t already selected its preferred location. And, if that’s the case, then this public process is, intentionally or not, creating a bidding war between amongst states and cities. Sure, we have a competitive toolkit of incentives, but blindly giving away the farm isn’t our style."

(PDF link)
    https://media.bizj.us/view/img/10645729/san-antonioopen-letter-to-jeff-bezos.pdf

21. Hospitalitygirl

I love their IDGAF attitude. We should have done that here instead of begging. It's fancy, but it's still begging.

Do you think Kenney needs some good press?

Burholme06 likes this.
  22. ODragon

ODragon Well-Known Member

Won't we have to pay city tax on things if they were to put the HQ here? Right now we just pay state I believe.

23. Politburo

Politburo Well-Known Member

I don't think so, because the stuff will still come from warehouses outside the city and that is where the sale occurs under the tax code.

24. Bixbyte

Amazon is checking on Philly - I think?
    They are asking me some community questions
    I have a pro merch account since around 2001
    GOOD LUCK PHILLY!