Ack-a-me to replace UPenn Fresh Grocer?

Discussion in 'West Philadelphia / University City' started by Jayfar, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

2. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Gentrification strikes again.

3. ODragon

ODragon Well-Known Member

As of today, they are still there.

4. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

The Business Journal article inaccurately states "The new Acme will backfill space vacated by Fresh Grocer," even though Fresh Grocer is still operating and litigating the lease termination. The Daily Pennsylvanian has a more accurate write-up:

--quote--
    The supermarket doesn’t appear to be giving up its fight to remain in place anytime soon though. Throughout the month of April, the Fresh Grocer has continued taking out ads in The Daily Pennsylvanian, including one forthcoming in Wednesday’s paper where it uses the hashtag #SavePennFroGro.

[snip]

Ed Datz, the Executive Director of Real Estate at Penn Facilities and Real Estate Services, said the University is currently in litigation with Fresh Grocer, whose lease of the property expired March 31. According to FRES Communications Director Jennifer Rizzi, however, the Fresh Grocer “rejects Penn’s position” that the lease expired on that day.
    --end quote--
    Penn announces plan to replace the Fresh Grocer with Acme — which will include a Starbucks | TheDP.com

5. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

So Fresh Grocer will just up and closed one day similar to what happen with the Superfresh on South street?

6. ShoshTrvls

ShoshTrvls Well-Known Member

Completely different situations. Superfresh was part of A&P, which went bankrupt.

Fresh Grocer is not going bankrupt; rather, it would appear that it simply has refused to leave after the lease terminated and Penn is trying to evict it. Now, it certainly could decide at any time to just give up the fight and lock the doors, or Penn could win the lawsuit and lock it out overnight, but I suspect neither will actually happen. If FG wins, it stays. If Penn wins, I suspect they will negotiate some sort of orderly removal of property and equipment (although no doubt the store will be closed while Acme refurbishes it). Or, most likely, there will be a negotiated settlement which will result in one of the same two options.

7. ZZZZTop

ZZZZTop Member

Anyone know why Wegmans Supermarket are not in Philly?
    I love their store in Cherry Hill.

8. Jayfar

Jayfar Junior Old Fart

They don't do stores in cities. They were supposedly going to make an exception in Boston, but maybe not:

Wegmans ‘unlikely’ to have urban store in Boston's Fenway anytime soon | Boston Business Journal

Or maybe Boston in 2019 or 2020:

Wegmans in, non-anchor stores out at Meadow Glen Mall in Medford

#38 Jayfar, Apr 24, 2017 at 10:27 AM
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017 at 10:35 AM
  9. Politburo

Politburo Well-Known Member

There's still a Brooklyn store planned for next year, afaik.

10. boognish

boognish Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's still on. Seems like a trial balloon to me.

My whole take on the 40th St. Fresh Grocer is that the company didn't know if it could succeed at that location. As such, they never properly gave a crap about it. I will go to the Grey's Ferry FG any day of the week, but despite living within walking distance of the 40th St store, I refuse to go there. The prices were random and/or high, the layout is terrible, and the staff was surly at best. I once desperately needed a rug cleaner (long story, but a property I manage had a leak in the roof and this princess Penn kid was screaming at me about it, so this was about all I could do to help the situation). I waited in line for 25 agonizing minutes (because I was really stressed out...it was my birthday and I was watching my baby girl that day) at customer service. Finally, I filled out all the paperwork, paid, and pulled out the cleaner. It was clearly broken, and the last unit.

I realize that's possibly the polar opposite of how many feel and a one-off experience, but it completely exemplifies how that store was run...no help, long lines, and shoddy "merchandise". And let me tell you, that area of West Philly was a complete food desert after Thriftway closed in '99 (I think). I didn't own a car, so getting groceries took serious planning. I was thrilled when Fresh Grocer opened, but its flaws were immediately obvious to the point that I stopped going at all. I've gone two times at most in the last 10 years.

So bring on Acme. I don't think I've ever shopped at one, but hopefully they can do something with that store.

11. Shadowbat

Shadowbat Well-Known Member

^The way Acme is being run at the very moment, I see "experiences" like that being the norm sadly....

12. boognish

Yeah, I can't find anyone who's excited about Acme. Doesn't Whole Foods have a cheaper store line? That would be a great fit.

13. mixiboi

mixiboi Philly Remixed

Whole Foods 365?

Yeah that is still coming:

https://www.365bywholefoods.com/stores

The Silver Lakes location makes me wonder what they can do with the historical supermaket at Frankford Terminal.

14. ODragon

Personally, I like Acme. I am more excited that FG is leaving that location; whomever goes in. At least at the beginning they will probably be pretty good.

I do wonder if they will go back to free parking for grocery users.

15. boognish

That's how I'm looking at it. Penn, for better or for worse, really does know business on its properties. There are plenty of places I wish hadn't been kicked out of Penn properties over the years (I miss you Tony Luke's but Penn kids had no idea what you were and you had a crappy business model), but FG is certainly not one of them.

And like I said, it's so strange considering that their new store on Grey's Ferry is really pretty decent.

ODragon, what neighborhood are you in? We're Spruce Hill.

16. ODragon

Garden Court

17. boognish

I'll never forget when a friend of mine bought a house in Garden Court, and I thought, "$250k?! That's crazy!"

D'oh!