Abandoned Car - PPA, police won't touch it. Why?

Discussion in 'South Philadelphia' started by AnthonyC, Apr 25, 2016.

1. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Member

I've been trying to get an abandoned vehicle removed from my street for a while now. The fake inspection stickers (real stickers don't curl) expired in December; the registration expired in May 2014. Despite my best efforts, nobody is willing to touch it. I've Philly311'd it, reached out to my councilman and the local police. Nothing.

Any suggestions on how to legally proceed?

.[​IMG]

2. Litter Box

Litter Box Well-Known Member

A couple of months ago I saw a couple of officers in a car writing a ticket on a car with an expired inspection sticker. I mentioned that a block over had 6 cars with no tags, expired inspection stickers etc that had not been moved in a long time. The two officers drove over and gave out six tickets, and within about a month all six were gone.. I live in S Philadelphia in 19145.

A little off topic but the police now have cars with cameras connected to a computer that notifies the driver. I saw this last week on
    Broad while the police were waiting for the tow truck.

I've had zero luck with PPA, I feel your angst.

#2 Litter Box, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  3. hkp

hkp Señor Member

Someone parked his car in our street. Like we live on an alley street so it meant our street was no longer drivable. Cop wrote a ticket and wouldn't have it towed for some reason.

4. HLS

HLS Well-Known Member

Three quick points; real stickers do curl, PennDot actually has a system to re-issue stickers that weren't sticking. (I had an annoying set of not-sticking stickers last year.)

Pennsylvania is eliminating registration stickers by the end of 2016, registration is now being checked by using a plate-reader and online database. (We've all seen cars with the registration stickers in the read window to keep the license plate from getting corner clipped.) Could be that the car is registered, but they haven't pasted the sticker on. Given the imminent phase out of registration stickers, not having a registration sticker probably isn't that high on the PPA list of things to check for.

Back in 2012, a Philly Judge threw the book at the PPA for failing to follow legal procedures, they did settle-
    Pavlock Status Report
    So, some people are looking for reasons to challenge PPA, I can think of one example, PPA collects $100 for expired stickers, PA law says the fine is $25. I sorta suspect that might make PA cautious about ticketing.

fiveomar likes this.
  5. O.H. Lee

O.H. Lee Well-Known Member

Stickers do indeed curl. PennDot had a bad batch a while ago. Where is this car located ?

fiveomar likes this.
  6. ODragon

ODragon Well-Known Member

Use the Abandoned Car thing on the Philly311 app. I've not used that feature but I've had a lot of luck using it for Potholes, including same day responses.

7. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Member

It took a total of 8 weeks - but a few days ago, the car was finally towed away.

fiveomar, DocAwesome and Oladybug like this.
  8. O.H. Lee

O.H. Lee Well-Known Member

It shouldn't have taken quite that long, but four of those weeks were part of a 30 day notification period. Glad it has been moved though.

9. Phillytaxpayer

Phillytaxpayer New Member

I feel your pain. There is a guy who works on cars around the corner from my house. I've seen him taking tags off one and putting them on another. Sometimes I've seen photocopy license plates on them! On any given day he has like 6 cars park on the block. He moves them around to keep them from sitting more than a few days in the same place. I doubt they are all registered and inspected. I've reported the working on the cars (I'm saying engine pulls and up on jacks) but nothing has happened. I still see him out there everyday.

fiveomar likes this.
  10. ODragon

Always fun to quote yourself from multiple years ago.

Sadly, 311 seems to be a poor way to get cars removed. I reported a couple over a month ago with no luck. They haven't even moved past the submitted phase. They did say it would take over 30 days to process. What surprised me the most is that one of them has no license plate, inspection, etc and is parked on a permit block (not well, it was in an accident) and is still sitting there. Shouldn't the PPA have noticed it since it has no tag for them to issue a ticket?

fiveomar likes this.
  11. ODragon

I should have posted here earlier...

Car still shows as having the ticket submitted but the city picked it up yesterday (or friday). I wonder if 311 is broken in relation to cars. I know if you request a parking sign it is farmed off to PPA and you never get a response other than it was given to PPA. I wonder if that's what they are doing but no longer even saying it was transferred to PPA.

I wonder if the other car I reported (earlier) was picked up; I'll have to go check...