A tragedy

Discussion in 'Fairmount / Spring Garden / Francisville' started by Titus, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

2. O.H. Lee

O.H. Lee Well-Known Member

3. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

Absolutely sickening

eldondre likes this.
  4. fiveomar

fiveomar Well-Known Member

We all need to be more vigilant after this. Keep your front outdoor lights on (LED bulbs only use a few dollars of electricity per year), report loitering to 911, and install exterior security cameras.

This not only helps ourselves but helps our neighbors.

5. enyo

enyo Well-Known Member

Horrible.

I wonder if stupid crimes like this could be reduced through education? At what point will some of the idiots realize that the couple hundred they make from mugging people can be earned honestly in a lot less time than the prison sentences they inevitably get? And if the 16 yo hadn't decided to execute the father out of spite he might have eventually had a future after maturing. I guess any statistics based curriculum to address this would just end making smarter criminals though.

6. ks2pa

ks2pa Well-Known Member

Maybe smarter but hopefully less violent.

7. OakmontGuy

OakmontGuy NE Philadelphia Proud!

Realistically, these "idiots" as you refer to them are just that. They don't care about the consequences. Why? Because, (again) realistically, most of the time there aren't any. Or, if there are, they aren't significant enough to deter them.

Civilized people are raised that way. They're taught by their parents, who were taught by their parents before them.

These idiots? Many have only one parent (or, for all practical terms, NO parents) to steer them in the right direction in life. They grow up in homes with no concept of right or wrong and limited discipline. What do you expect?

8. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

When one has no regard for human life, no amount of education will make a difference.

fiveomar likes this.
  9. drewrob23

drewrob23 Well-Known Member

Too many of these young people don't expect much from life. Since they don't think their lives are valuable, they definitely don't respect the lives of others. They're pretty much waiting to die and taking everything they want while they wait for death.

Education only helps if the individual values education. Other than that some of these kids are going to school for a meal and to talk to girls and eventually drop out by the 10th grade.

Until the culture of violence is challenged and changed these senseless acts of violence will continue and no amount of punishment will be a deterrent.

10. enyo

enyo Well-Known Member

Maybe the right or wrong needs to be taught at school. I'm not big on Sunday School, but I think this could be in a secular type form and hopefully reach a few. They cared enough to run and hide, so maybe there is some hope with kids that fit into this background.

11. OakmontGuy

OakmontGuy NE Philadelphia Proud!

(Rolls eyes). Yeah, I can see it now:

Teacher: "Okay little Johnnie, open your book to page one. Time for some 'readin, 'righten, 'rithmatic, rights and 'rongs." Lesson one: Don't steal from no one. Don't murder no one. Don't be blastin' a cap from your 9 mil on no one. Don't be jackin' no one's ride. Pay 'yo bills on time." Got all that, Johnnie? Johnnie? Hey, boy, where you at? Mary, you see where Johnnie went?"

Mary: "Yeah, I seen him go outside when your back was turned, teach. He's out the yard, smokin' a blunt."

enyo, Tartan69 and O.H. Lee like this.
  12. fiveomar

fiveomar Well-Known Member

The best long-term solution is giving the poor easy and free access to birth control, and stop incentivizing women popping out "welfare babies" just so they don't have to work. These kids don't receive proper upbringings because in most cases, a) the father is not present, and b) the mother doesn't care and/or is stretched too thin with other kids or responsibilities to raise them properly. I see it every single day around me with my own eyes and ears. Literally no one is tackling this huge root cause simply because it's not PC to do so. All the education dollars in the world aren't going to address this root cause.

In the short term, a tougher stance on crime by police/officials, and community/neighborly vigilance and prevention/detection mechanisms (more security cameras, house lights on the block, etc. etc.)

#12 fiveomar, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    OakmontGuy, Tartan69 and O.H. Lee like this.
  13. O.H. Lee

I fully agree with you, except about the punishment. Both of these guys should not have been on the street. They both had multiple arrests and received probation. We are too soft on crime and the new DA is going to be even worse.

OakmontGuy, enyo, fiveomar and 3 others like this.
  14. O.H. Lee

This is part of what is wrong with society today. You can't substitute parenting, with school teachers. Right and wrong has to be taught at home. The lack of a father figure is a huge issue and parents who want to be their kids friends instead of their parents is close behind.

15. Tedk

Tedk Bean Counter

Birth control is only one solution that will help solve this problem but making it free will not work. As un PC as this is, if a single woman or couple is on welfare then it is only logical that they cannot afford another mouth to feed and although society may have a moral obligation to assist people who are currently in poverty, the taxpayers should have no obligation to shoulder the cost of new additions to their lot. If a woman, single or married, is on public assistance she must agree to a birth control implant inserted in her arm. These implants prevent pregnancy for up to four years but can be removed enabling the woman to become pregnant in the future. In case one thinks this is sexist, if a reversible male birth control method existed, it would be required for men on public assistance. This would be one way to curb the perpetual cycle of children being born into poverty.

O.H. Lee and fiveomar like this.
  16. drewrob23

Almost everyday on public transportation I hear people mentioning seeing their parole officer, visiting someone in prison, etc. It's almost like it's cool to go to jail or at least not that serious to some people. I'm all for locking people up who commit heinous crimes. I just don't think the perpetrators care about 15+ year sentences.

OakmontGuy and fiveomar like this.
  17. drewrob23

I've said this for years, but not only for welfare recipients. For young people, period. Too many young women get pregnant before they're an adult which causes them to drop out and get on the public dole.This creates a constant cycle for some which lasts generations. Most people don't propose it because forced sterilization is a form of eugenics.

Good luck with male birth control. The depression rates, though small, would never make it viable.

18. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

This is a huge part of the issue. The PC crowd wants to kick and scream about feelings and fairness and equitable outcomes instead of focusing on equitable opportunities and actual problem-solving solutions. And don't get me started on the poverty pimps who actually gain by keeping the status quo.

On the flipside, the root causes to be solved aren't always as cut and dried as my fellow conservative types might like either.

fiveomar and O.H. Lee like this.
  19. enyo

enyo Well-Known Member

You might be right. That's not quite what i had in mind, but it's probably a moot point. I was thinking more along the lines of consequences, empathy and reasons for doing or not doing stuff. Your excerpt above is basically what my sunday school was like a long time ago.

#19 enyo, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  20. enyo

enyo Well-Known Member

I agree, but this is side stepping the issue for a lot of these troubled kids. What do you do if you don't substitute something in place of the father figure/ guidance they lack? Just call it a lost cause and wait till they end up in prison?

drewrob23 and Titus like this.