71,000 square foot Shoprite coming to East Falls / industrial area S of US 1

Discussion in 'Manayunk / Roxborough / East Falls' started by billy ross, Feb 22, 2011.

1. billy ross

billy ross Well-Known Member

#1 billy ross, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  2. daninpa

daninpa Cheesesteak GURU!

Knowing Brown's stores, and having shopped in the SR in Parkside, no doubt that there will be a very diverse product selection. Brown has a knack for building in "food deserts" and catering to the local population. I asked my dad (who works for Wakefern) and he said the average new ShopRite is about 50,000 sq ft, so yeah, this one is huge.

3. NJbound

NJbound Well-Known Member

our shoprite is 83k sq feet and its very large.. Too large really.. 71k is still very big

4. daninpa

You should see the ShopRite in Neptune, NJ... that one's about 100,000 square feet. It's friggin' huge!

5. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

good to see some activity in the taint.

6. phillyaggie

phillyaggie Well-Known Member

how big is the Whole Foods on South St? That one feels much smaller compared to locations in Texas, obviously. But compared to Superfresh in Society Hill Shopping Center, it is almost luxuriously large. Most grocery stores in Texas are probably 100k or larger.

Good to see another part of town getting needed new development.

7. The Count

The Count Well-Known Member

I was in Wegman's in Warrington, PA yesterday.

It is 125,000 sf and staffed by the friendliest and most competent staff I've ever encountered in a supermarket.

I went there for lunch and didn't want to leave.

I almost walked out with a 4 piece bedroom set, dry-aged rib roast, and a six of Founder's Imperial Stout.

8. NJbound

NJbound Well-Known Member

That's how our shoprite is.. Liquor store, buffet Chinese and American food, salad bar, 2 floors of tables to eat at, elevator, cigar store, lobster tank, sells furniture.. Incredible what today's supermarkets have turned into

#8 NJbound, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  9. philly57

philly57 Well-Known Member

What does this mean for the ShopRite of Roxborough? It's kind of messy but it's not ghetto. The new store's location is kind of on the periphery. If ShopRite shuts down their Roxborough store and new one turns into another 52nd and Parkside store, I'll be lost! (SuperFresh is expensive and Acme sucks) Plus ShopRite on Ridge is so close to my house.

10. billy ross

It's owned by the same family. This is expansion, not relocation. My guess is that they'll use the breathing room created by the new location to update the Roxborough location, which is tired as far as I can tell. That's my hope, at least. Roxborough has been going upmarket (with places like Pill Hill turned into nice, family-friendly locales, and the local grammar schools upping their game, too) but the groceries haven't been keeping up with the neighborhood.

11. Politburo

Politburo Well-Known Member

IIRC they tried to update the Roxborough location a couple of years ago but were denied. They wanted to move the loading docks around to the back on Livezey, and neighbors were too worried about noise/traffic.

12. billy ross

Now they can buy the old Green Valley Country Club lot behind them.

13. OldMama

OldMama Finally retired. Newly married. Kids are gone.

What GVCC lot? There was a church behind Shop Rite. When that was torn down, there was supposed to be a housing development, which the economy nixed. Does GVCC own that land now?

14. billy ross

I went to Epiphany Lutheran for Nursery School. It was Green Valley's old clubhouse, a play on Valley Green. "The Valley" used to be a golf course before it got developed in the late 50s through the late 60s. I believe that the civic association is still called the Green Valley Civic Association.

#14 billy ross, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  15. daninpa

Have you been by the Rox ShopRite recently? The lot behind it is all torn up and it looks like they are going through with the housing.

16. lewblum

lewblum Dismember

There's public meeting for the new ShopRite - Thursday the 24th @ 7pm @ the Kroc Center.

I'm not sure exactly what it'll be all about...hopefully not a dog and pony show where they thank every democrat on the planet.

17. roxyfoxy

roxyfoxy Well-Known Member

I don't think the Roxborough Shoprite would shut down. That store is a gold mine for its owners. The SuperFresh is doing very badly, and Acme is just too expensive.

18. eldondre

there was an article in last weeks inky saying acme has been cutting prices. have you been recently?

19. stock

stock Well-Known Member

They shouldn't cut prices, they should raise service/atmosphere to match the price. Competing on price sucks.

20. eldondre

thats not entirely true. what service improvements are going to justify $4 more for diapers? it simy dorsnt make sense yo overcharge for products like that. you lose customers who might otherwise shop there. theres already a whole foods. id like to see them charge the standard commodity prices but also offer some local and higher quality products...though they probably long ago killed the local distribution system.

21. stock

stock Well-Known Member

I pay extra every day because I buy most of my stuff from local small companies rather than Home Depot. I go to Woods Brothers in Fishtown, Rittenhouse Lumber in my area and Woodland in West Philly.

I easily pay .30 to .40 more per 2x4 than at the other places and $5 more for plywood. I gladly pay extra because when I walk in there is coffee there, not much of a line, people say "Hi Chris" (all know your name), I tell the guy at the counter what I want and it's practically loaded in my truck before I'm done paying. If I have a nice size job close buy, they just open a ticket for me and I settle up at the end of the week. The lumber is truer and they have better selections.

Same goes for just about anything in life. There are people that will hunt and shop for the lowest price, that's fine. I prefer to have better service and pay a little extra and know what I'm getting any day. In the end I find if I focus on quality over price, it makes life much better. Of course I still look at price, wish I didn't have to, but it's not the driving force behind my choice. Quality and service are.

22. eldondre

Acme has been behind on both counts, still, I'm not sure your analogy works for all products. For example, again, people don't usually buy local diapers or toilet paper. the reality is price is more important for some products than others and its long overdue that acme is realizing this. you lose the customer when you overcharge for products that can easily be found elsewhere. acme isnt becoming walmart but they are trying to stop sending people there. if their cost structure is such they cant sell tp and diapers for the same price as shop rite or genuardi's, then they have big problems. they don't have local dist, products, or good customer service.

23. LunasMom

LunasMom New Member

There's a Whole Foods? The one in Wynnewood? Or Plymouth Meeting? I would love a Whole Foods closer to Manayunk.

24. billy ross

The halal chicken nuggets are really, really good.

The Silverbright Salmon is crazy cheap at about $5 per pound, and it's fairly tasty. If you can blow the budget, the steelhead (rainbow) trout, which is oddly really salmon, is $10 a pound and melt in your mouth, like butter. Stunningly good.

I went to this Shop Rite the first day they opened, fearing that that would be my one chance to see it new and unspoiled. My fears were unfounded - the store is nicer every time I go there, as they adjust their offerings to match the market. The $1 crab cakes are awesome, and the $2.50 salmon burgers are great, too. A tremendous amount of their food is made/cut/assembled in-house, and it's generally very well-done. It's sort of a food factory, and it employs very many people. Honestly, this store has worked out better than I had ever hoped, and some call me a rose-colored glasses optimist.

The workers and the clientele, too, are very, even strangely, pleasant. I went yesterday and the guy behind me at the seafood counter was explaining to his kid about mollusks as they waited. Maybe people are finally grateful to have a nice supermarket? Maybe people are more civilized than I had thought? Either way, I'll take it. It doesn't seem ghetto at all, like the Home Depot on the Boulevard seems ghetto to me. I would say it's significantly nicer than the Target (from the standpoint of the condition of the store and the parking lot, and the behavior of the people), and I was surprised at how unruined the Target turned out to be over time. I get the sense that people have a sense of ownership regarding this Shop Rite, as crazy as that sounds, as if it's 'our' supermarket.

#24 billy ross, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  25. PASnow

PASnow Well-Known Member

Yeah I actually like this place, and it's held up very nice. The seafood dept is great, they had literally something like a huge monkfish head on ice in the display one time. I didn't notice it really but someone asked what it was. Their roast chickens are the bomb at only $4.99. They also have a pretty large & diverse 'international foods' section, which has decent spanish & Goya foods & spices as well as asian. Worth checking out, its tucked towards the back middle. Overall cheap & well stocked. And the Redbox comes in handy.

So far so good.

26. NickleDimer

NickleDimer Well-Known Member

Shopping for quality and service is a bunch of overrated BS. Especially when you're looking at commoditized products (like groceries) cheerios and diapers are the same everywhere.

27. OldMama

OldMama Finally retired. Newly married. Kids are gone.

For certain things, quality and service matter. I buy chicken and meats at the butchers on 9th Street, cheese at Claudios, pasta at Tallutos, produce at Iovines in RTM. I have time and these places are near enough to walk so they're worth it.

Tea bags, cereal, cat stuff- TARGET. Then I shop for price.

28. eldondre

really, so all food tastes the same? for some of us quality and service do matter and are completely underrated. Maybe if people paid attention to the garbage they shoveled in their pieholes life would be more enjoyable.
    I'm with old mama, I appreciate the advice I get at claudio's and they do offer competitive prices on quality items rather than the cheapest POS I can find. and frankly wal-mart in south philly might be the cheapest but the store was completely overcrowded and awful service so I never returned.

29. NickleDimer

NickleDimer Well-Known Member

A lot of the regular necessities that most americans buy are the same in every store. As i mentioned: diapers and cheerios. If it makes you feel good to pay a premium to support an inefficient local supply chain... go for it.

30. The Count

The Count Well-Known Member

We just discovered Diapers.com and it is awesome.