48th and Brown Development?

Discussion in 'West Philadelphia / University City' started by eldondre, Jul 1, 2009.

1. eldondre

eldondre Well-Known Member

is this dead?
    :
    West Village Group-WEBSITE

2. lewblum

lewblum Dismember

I drove by at some point within the past two months.
    Nothing had changed since the last time I drove by 5 or 6 months prior.

3. kitkat624

kitkat624 New Member

I just drove by 48th street and noticed that there were people working there. There is a lot going on -I saw stacks and stacks of wood panels and people working the machinery. I'm excited to see what these houses are going to look like because the location is great and they've really started to build up other parts of the area.

4. thoth

thoth I LOOK LIKE THIS

You sure you weren't seeing construction at the future site of the Youth Study Center or the Blackwell community center? I'm pretty sure at least the YSC is supposed to be sited right around there, too.

5. lewblum

lewblum Dismember

possibly.
    when i read "stacks of wood panels" i immediately thought foundation work for a large structure (temporary retaining walls).

6. kitkat624

kitkat624 New Member

I am 100% on this one... the construction projects you are speaking of are further down 48th towards Market: this is at 48th and Brown across from the Save-a-Lot There is a banner advertising "West Village" or "West Village Group" (or something like that)... 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath townhomes, gated comm...

7. student

student Banned

One of those very few smart things the City has done. If your going to relocate YSC. Put in the Bush....Yeah !!!

8. thoth

thoth I LOOK LIKE THIS

Each post of yours is dumber than the last. I hope your computer catches on fire so that you can stop polluting the board with your idiocy.

9. Dave

Dave Señor Member

He's no longer the president. Give it a rest :loser2:

10. eldondre

Metro - Building a diamond in the rough

11. thoth

thoth I LOOK LIKE THIS

Man this thing is still so weird to me. It's sorta close to a lot of stuff, but it's also sorta distant from a lot of stuff. Okay highway access, not great, same goes for public transit. Who's going to drop 225k to live in a gated starter home next to the projects? It strikes me that people who would want to live in this part of West Philly probably wouldn't want to be gated off from everything...and people who would want to be isolated from the admittedly crappy surrounding neighborhoods would probably just drop 225k in the burbs.

I wish them luck. Weird. It'll certainly be fun to see how this unfolds.

12. thoth

thoth I LOOK LIKE THIS

Also I just saw on the sidebar that the Metro listed the Youth Study Center as a "coming attraction" to Mill Creek. Hachachacha

13. lewblum

lewblum Dismember

i'm scratching my head on this one too.

best of luck to them.

14. Sharkfood

Sharkfood Well-Known Member

Wonder who's financing it. I don't see a local bank touching the project.

15. monkeyajb

monkeyajb Active Member

Also agree this is weird. Multiple banks tried to finance here a few years ago and it went up in flames. At the time they were trying to sell these in the same price range with no luck. If anything, the market is even softer in West Philadelphia now than 2 years ago. I can't imagine how this is going to work?

16. Poweltonian

Poweltonian Optimist

Count me in for another one in the confused column. I'm as big a promoter as anyone for West Philly, but I get the sense that they are trying to build something similar to Westrum's Brewerytown Square. The difference is, 48th and Brown isn't adjacent to Center City. Yes West Powelton and Mantua are improving...but all the way out to 48th?

I really do wish the project the best of luck.

17. eldondre

theyre also cheaper than btown sq

18. phillysw

phillysw Well-Known Member

Totally bizarre. For $225k or less, you could get a decent house in a number of University City/West Philly neighborhoods (Walnut Hill, Cedar Park, Kingsessing, Cobb's Creek) that are much closer to Center City, not to mention the El and trolleys. I looked at houses in Mantua a couple of years ago and wasn't comfortable with the area north of Haverford even as far east as 38th. I would not have gone further west. I wish them luck, too, but feel that the area is probably just too far off the beaten path.

19. thoth

thoth I LOOK LIKE THIS

The good/bad parts of west philly don't always follow the farther west = worse off trajectory. I think the area around 38th north of haverford, south of the rail tracks in Mantua is probably a bit worse of an area than where these are going in. That said, you're more or less on point. I don't know why anyone would drop 225k there when you could get a decent place in any of the neighborhoods you mentioned for the same.

20. phillysw

phillysw Well-Known Member

The area around 38th-42nd above Haverford is pretty much crack-infested, so I see your point. I think it gets nicer just north of Haveford around 44th--there's an odd pocket of really pretty homes up there. But 48th and Brown is very rough, IMO. They found a body in a dumpster behind the closed down grocery store last month.

21. 3rd&Brown

3rd&Brown Well-Known Member

While this is odd, you never know. Weirder things have happened.

The new housing in Mill Creek in that area looks really nice and appears to be well maintained, thus far. (Though it is brand new, so that's not saying much).

Further, you can't really buy new construction in this city at THAT price point. While it's not difficult to find an old home for well under $225K in this city, it is difficult to find an old home that is in great condition and will require minimal investment for under $225K.

And then, there are just those people who HAVE to live in new construction. There is nothing at that price point in the entire city, beyond a studio apartment, at that price range.

I hope they make believers out of all of us.

They have to be using their own money though, because I can't see any local bank funding that project.

22. thoth

thoth I LOOK LIKE THIS

There is a spectacular block of homes in what I've heard referred to, possibly apocryphally, as "Dunlap", on 49th North of Market. There are a lot of surprising nice pockets in what people generally view as a solid block of "West Philly". Where these homes are at is not one of those areas, but I guess it could be worse...a little worse anyway.

23. thoth

thoth I LOOK LIKE THIS

[​IMG]

Renderings from Brownstoner. So curious to see this materialize.

24. seand

seand Well-Known Member

Green roofs but weirdly drab.

25. schmoe

schmoe Well-Known Member

But look at those beautiful blank walls fronting 48th St!
    And if you kinda squint you can see Mill Creek Farm in the background.

26. kitkat624

kitkat624 New Member

48th and Brown Street

Found out some updates on this development:
    They are no longer for sale- being offered as rentals starting at $1500 for a 3br/2ba/1car garage. Units are renting and fairly quickly- 4 bedroom and 5 bedroom units are not currently available.
    Being financed by a local bank. West Village Group also now owns a large warehouse adjacent to this block. CHOP is opening up a large Ped-Care facility at 48th and Market, which should also prove to be interesting for this and other area developments.
    I personally think this is on the right track to seeing continued changes in the coming years.. too much activity to really think otherwise.

27. thoth

thoth I LOOK LIKE THIS

Interesting. It almost makes me wonder if the realtors had some advance knowledge of the CHOP plan, and built speculating on demand for that. Still seems crazy, but at least it would sorta be a reason.

28. 3rd&Brown

3rd&Brown Well-Known Member

48th & Brown is pretty far from 48th & Market.

I'm at 3rd&Brown. I don't consider development that takes place at 3rd&Market to be even remotely relevant to me.

29. thoth

thoth I LOOK LIKE THIS

Except that if you go from 48th and Market to 48th and Brown you cross four intersections. West Philly cuts out a bunch of streets and the kirkbride center cuts out even more. It's also less than a half mile away. Look at a map.

30. Zigster

Zigster Well-Known Member

I cannot believe how nice these places are in the middle of that smeghole. This is surreal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]