2019 Assessments

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Real Estate' started by ShoshTrvls, Apr 4, 2018.

1. ShoshTrvls

ShoshTrvls Well-Known Member

They've been posted for over a day, and no comments here?

OK, I'll start -- up over 40% in Queen Village. Somehow, my home is worth significantly more than my neighbors' homes, which are all larger and, key in QV, have garages. While the cynic in me says that this is retaliation for winning my abatement appeal two years ago, I think they really just assumed that my house was similar to the others on the block before the renovation, and then tacked on the reno/abatement on top of that, when in fact the house is not really comparable to the neighbors' either before or after.

Debbie likes this.
  2. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very oldĀ®

I'm just glad my landlord already set my lease renewal next month for an increase of only $15. :)

This is an older 3-story, 3 apartment row-house on Christian St in SWCC. The current landlord bought it in late 2010 for $327,500. 2019 assessment is a 70% increase over 2018. Hope they don't spot the new roof he installed a week ago for the next assessment.

Untitled.png

#2 Jayfar, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  3. Tartan69

Tartan69 Pawn in game of life

Yikes, a 45% increase for me! Although there have been improvements to the neighborhood so doesn't surprise me that it went up...but this is way too much. Either way looks like there's a $300 cost for a new appraisal in my future.

4. Burholme06

Burholme06 Well-Known Member

Double Yikes, just checked mine - exactly a 50% increase. I think a 25% increase would be reasonable based on what I could actually sell the house for.

5. Templeton

Templeton Well-Known Member

How does one go about appealing if you think it's too high?

6. Tartan69

Last time it just took an appraisal + a justification letter to the city. Will see if I can dig up the template I used and who to send it to. If memory serves, the city has a web page somewhere with instructions for this.

fiveomar and Debbie like this.
  7. Debbie

Debbie Well-Known Member

Didn't Kenney say the assessments were going up by 11% for 2019? He obviously lied. My assessment has increased by almost $100,000. Also, my whole block is screwed up with reference to the differences. Some homes didn't change at all, some are way over-assessed.

fiveomar likes this.
  8. Jayfar

Jayfar I'm very oldĀ®

9. Tartan69

From the article: "We need to get the new CAMA (Computer Assisted Mass Appraisal) system up and running to do something like that, but because the City can't seem to manage any IT projects, it keeps falling behind."

The city can't manage IT projects because:

1. They pay peanuts
    2. They mandate hiring under-qualified employees because of politically-motivated demographic quotas
    3. Inter-departmental infighting and stovepiped fiefdoms abound, hence IT is severely constrainted (can't even get full access to data in some areas)

No good IT person worth a damn will want to work in that environment. Thus it is no suprise that they don't have their act together.

Outsource it all, I say.

fiveomar and Hospitalitygirl like this.
  10. Burholme06

Burholme06 Well-Known Member

He meant the total property value, meaning the sum of all properties went up 11%. As far as individual properties, a few went down, most went up, and a large minority increased significantly seems to be a good summary.